• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Defensive Notes vs Bengals (Week 10)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brandon Williams had a borderline elite performance yesterday and that was without Pierce next to him for the night.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
this was without question one of Brandon Williams better games. Wormley seems to have a ceiling and we've seen it. He was always going to be an average D lineman in the NFL. Still better than pathetic ones such as carl davis and kaufusi.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this was without question one of Brandon Williams better games. Wormley seems to have a ceiling and we've seen it. He was always going to be an average D lineman in the NFL. Still better than pathetic ones such as carl davis and kaufusi.
yeah i genuinely thought with the way he seemed to progress last year that he'd be an upgrade as the iron-man on the DL in stead of brent urban but he's been disappointing

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yeah i genuinely thought with the way he seemed to progress last year that he'd be an upgrade as the iron-man on the DL in stead of brent urban but he's been disappointing
he's definitely been disappointing and we need a major upgrade.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I never liked the Wormley pick. He showed some decent stuff last year but he’s just not my guy. I still think there was better talent there at the time of that pick and believe we should’ve traded up to get guys like Kamara and more especially Pat but the later hasn’t done as well as Kamara tbh.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
These next few games will be a big test for Wormley.

The addition of Peko and Ellis may mean the Ravens want to play Ricard less on defense in addition to the obvious replacement for Pierce. That may mean more pass rush opportunities for Wormley or BWill as the lone DL with 4 OLBs in the racecar dime package. Wormley hasn't got too much time as a pure pass rusher to date and it would be nice to see him make an impression.

Wormley is also going to get more time if they stick with 3-3-5 nickel as a way to combat running teams.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Didn't we add 2 NTs simply because we lost 2 to injuries, Pierce and Mack?

I don't think that's necessarily (or even probably) the case. I think it's more likely the team decided Mack is not ready based on his practice and sent him to IR to create a spot. So they "needed" a 2nd NT to have an inactive backup.

Neither Peko nor Ellis has seen action in 2019 and it's likely the team would not be able to tell from a workout if either is ready to play. By signing 2, they may be looking to move the workout to the practice field this week and pick the 1 who is more game ready to be active vs. Houston.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
These next few games will be a big test for Wormley.

The addition of Peko and Ellis may mean the Ravens want to play Ricard less on defense in addition to the obvious replacement for Pierce. That may mean more pass rush opportunities for Wormley or BWill as the lone DL with 4 OLBs in the racecar dime package. Wormley hasn't got too much time as a pure pass rusher to date and it would be nice to see him make an impression.

Wormley is also going to get more time if they stick with 3-3-5 nickel as a way to combat running teams.
and I believe you said they ran 3-3-5 about 12 times with some success stopping the run this past game. Is that correct?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the signing of Peko and Ellis is more about the scheme than anything else. We seem to relish at creating pressure through our LB and need big bodies in the middle to clog up run lanes to keep blockers off our LB so they can make plays in rushing the passer. It’s how we’re masking our weakness at edge rusher and it’s working to an extent. Having Urban here would’ve been a god send imo due to how we used him. I’m surprised we didn’t go after him when the Titans cut him. Maybe it was due to his health

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think the signing of Peko and Ellis is more about the scheme than anything else. We seem to relish at creating pressure through our LB and need big bodies in the middle to clog up run lanes to keep blockers off our LB so they can make plays in rushing the passer. It’s how we’re masking our weakness at edge rusher and it’s working to an extent. Having Urban here would’ve been a god send imo due to how we used him. I’m surprised we didn’t go after him when the Titans cut him. Maybe it was due to his health
I believe one of the reasons we didn't go after Urban was due to not having much cap space at the time and not sure if we would have been trading for anyone at the trade deadline. Of course it would have been easy enough to make some space, as a couple weeks later Snead was extended, which made some space. Both Peko and Ellis are costing a little more than 500k in cap space. Not so sure Urban would have wanted to sign for that.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
I believe one of the reasons we didn't go after Urban was due to not having much cap space at the time and not sure if we would have been trading for anyone at the trade deadline. Of course it would have been easy enough to make some space, as a couple weeks later Snead was extended, which made some space. Both Peko and Ellis are costing a little more than 500k in cap space. Not so sure Urban would have wanted to sign for that.

Urban was making barely enough to tuck in at the bottom of the comp formula, so I'm pretty sure he would have signed a vet min deal to return and play for a title with the Ravens.

Eidt:
Urban was making $1.1M ($850K salary + 250K signing bonus) with the Titans. Signed for vet min $805K with Bears after cut.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Urban was making barely enough to tuck in at the bottom of the comp formula, so I'm pretty sure he would have signed a vet min deal to return and play for a title with the Ravens.

Eidt:
Urban was making $1.1M ($850K salary + 250K signing bonus) with the Titans. Signed for vet min $805K with Bears after cut.
this is what I thought the numbers were when I looked at it at the time of signing and back when he was cut as well.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
The point was simply that he would have signed with the Ravens for $805K since he signed with the Bears for $805K. The Ravens is an opportunity to play for a title and he knows the organization as well as folks in town.

That's usually the case for anyone on the street this time of year.

Tank

Hall of Famer
The point was simply that he would have signed with the Ravens for $805K since he signed with the Bears for $805K. The Ravens is an opportunity to play for a title and he knows the organization as well as folks in town.

That's usually the case for anyone on the street this time of year.
So what’s the guess as to why he’s not a Raven right now? Think it’s simply we didn’t want him?

Charm City

Pro Bowler
So what’s the guess as to why he’s not a Raven right now? Think it’s simply we didn’t want him?
Or he thought he'd get more opportunities to show his worth with the bears and play himself into a bigger contract next year