• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta Released

The Greek

Veteran
would like to thank dennis pitta for his time as a raven. truly a raven for life and i wish him a speedy recovery as he heads into the next adventure in his life.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He was an amazing player pre injury and I'm certainly hoping he has a good recovery and it doesn't affect his ability to walk down the line. No one deserves to go through this.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know he didn't play extremely long for us but Id like to see him go in the Ring of Honor

Thanks for the memories.

I just watched a film about the Ravens SB win and I realized that I had forgotten how good he used to be.

K-Dog

MVP
I don't think he has a choice BUT to retire.
I can't imagine any team that would sign such a injury liability.

Here is my question..... Dennis Pitta, RAVENS Ring Of Honor or not ?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I always felt Pitta was overrated by Ravens fans, but that SB run was monumental. That was the best Pitta we will see ever. He was on fire.

He just made crucial play after crucial play and he was playing out of his mind. That's probably the best stretch of football in his entire life (Denver-NE-SF).

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pitta was an awesome player. That cat had some nice hands! I loved it when Suggs dubbed him as the "White TE! Don't leave home without him!" :D

Pitta will always have a special place in my heart due to his contribution in our last Super Bowl run. Hopefully, you'll retire and take good care of yourself well enough to enjoy it. All I can say is thanks for all of the wonderful memories man!

Peace,

~ Mili

Arsène

Practice Squad
Nothing but respect for this Raven. Thank you Dennis Pitta and I wish him good luck and a good recovery.

Tank

Hall of Famer
After his second hip issue the writing was on the wall. Gotta give Dennis utmost respect for fighting back to even be able to step on the field considering the circumstances. But last year made it obvious that he would never be the same player. It was scary to watch him play, just waiting for him to go down and not be able to get back up. Seems a blessing the end came in OTAs rather than in a game.

It's sad when any player goes down, but doubly so when that player is such a stand up guy. Hopefully Dennis will recover to a point where he can fully enjoy the rest of his life.

K-Dog

MVP
Really he is going out on top. ( sorta )
Last season was one of his best ever.

jimjim5

Practice Squad
Unfortunate for Pitta and the Ravens, but I think it was time to move forward anyway.

I don't mean to be cold, and this is just my opinion, but Pitta was wayy overrated by Ravens fans. His play greatly benefited from speed players, and clutch players around him, which allowed him to go off. Pitta would not have been labeled the big playmaker in the SB without Rice, Jones, Boldin, Smith. I will also say that without Dickson's blocking and speed to run interference, Pitta was a only a glorified, big receiver. A mismatch only because he was more nimble than the average TE, but with zero blocking ability, and really good hands.

Sorry, but Pitta is far from a ROH guy, he benefited greatly from being Flacco ' s boy and (last year) playing in a check down system. Heap is your ROH Gold Standard. Pitta can't carry Heap' s jock.

With all of that, I hate that his career couldn't be fulfilled to prove me wrong. Sorry/not sorry.

The Raven

Veteran
I don't think he has a choice BUT to retire.
I can't imagine any team that would sign such a injury liability.

Here is my question..... Dennis Pitta, RAVENS Ring Of Honor or not ?
Why should he? He had maybe two above average years, and the rest of the career was pretty pedestrian, if he wasn't hurt. Sure he played a vital role in the SB run but he couldn't sniff the jock straps of the folks that are actually in the ROH. I love the guy too but he's not even remotely close to being in the ROH. Sure he got 86 catches last year, but he only averaged 8.5 YPC. Not really that great. In 2012, he averaged 11 YPC. Sorry. It's easy to get 86 catches when you run short of the sticks every time.

Take a look at the guys in the ring and tell me with a straight face that he belongs in this class of players: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Ravens_Ring_of_Honor

redrum52

Hall of Famer
It's a shame he got hurt as he was hitting his prime. Hope he's able to take care of himself from here on out. Why is it whenever our guys show promise they suffer serious a injury?

The Raven

Veteran
Why should he? He had maybe two above average years, and the rest of the career was pretty pedestrian, if he wasn't hurt. Sure he played a vital role in the SB run but he couldn't sniff the jock straps of the folks that are actually in the ROH. I love the guy too but he's not even remotely close to being in the ROH. Sure he got 86 catches last year, but he only averaged 8.5 YPC. Not really that great. In 2012, he averaged 11 YPC. Sorry. It's easy to get 86 catches when you run short of the sticks every time.

Take a look at the guys in the ring and tell me with a straight face that he belongs in this class of players: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Ravens_Ring_of_Honor
Two people have disagreed with this post. Can either of you make a case for why, other than saying he deserves a trophy for being a cool guy?

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Joe Flacco is going into that Ring of Honor and he probably will not get a Pro Bowl in his career, so you can rule out Pro Bowls as a criteria.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Joe Flacco is going into that Ring of Honor and he probably will not get a Pro Bowl in his career, so you can rule out Pro Bowls as a criteria.
The difference is that Flacco is easily the best QB the RAVENS have ever had, and had one of the greatest postseason runs of all time. He's deserving. And he's been invited to what, three pro bowls now and has declined each of them?