• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Mac Attack or Deckatron?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
This just feels like an Ozzie Newsome wet dream. After not drafting a wide receiver in any of the seven rounds of the 2017, not one, but two veteran wide receivers became available. And not just any two wide receivers, but two quality receivers in the form of Eric Decker and Jeremy Maclin. If you're Ozzie Newsome, you're probably losing your mind with happiness right now. But which is the right option?

If you ask an anonymous Ravens coach, the choice should be Jeremy Maclin, which may not be a surprise when you consider he worked previously current offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. Past the obvious connection, though, Maclin just fits extremely well with what the Ravens want to do offensively with Joe Flacco.

Maclin, at his best, operates extremely well in the deep game and in space. Since 2014, Maclin has seven receptions of at least 50 yards, most in the NFL in that time frame. He has 41 receptions of at least 20 yards and 11 of at least 40 yards in that same time frame, all while playing with limp noodle armed Alex Smith in Kansas City for the past two years.

Put the ball in his hands on a screen or a quick out and Maclin is a threat to take the ball the distance every single time he touches it. In 2015 and 2016, nearly one third of all his receiving yards came via YAC. He averages around 3.5 yards after the catch. Going back to 2014 when Maclin came from Chip Kelly's horizontal offense that go the ball to players in space, Maclin averaged 6.5 yards after the catch and had over 500 yards of YAC, accounting for nearly 40% of his total yardage.

He's also a very adept route runner from inside or outside and creates separation with his speed and route running to create an easy target for receivers. Because of his ability to give himself room to work with, Maclin has some of the better hands in the NFL when considering drop percentages.

Essentially, he's exactly what Joe Flacco wants in a vertical threat. He can get deep and create the big play or he can take the short screen and go the distance. Obviously, there's a lot to like with Maclin, but is he better than Eric Decker?

Eric Decker is a completely different animal than Jeremy Maclin. While Maclin's game is predicated on precise route running and speed, Decker is a massive target (6'3", 218 pounds) who consistently goes over the middle to move the chains and makes contested catches. He will not create a lot of separation with his speed or route running, but much like Anquan Boldin during the 2012 season Super Bowl run, he's open even when covered because if the ball is in his vicinity, it's Decker's to take. That isn't to say that Decker can't run routes, though. Decker might be the king of the slant route over the middle because of his power forward nature. He's big, so he prefers to box out his defenders and make the catches over the middle and fight through contact.

You also might think that because he's slow that Decker doesn't present nearly the upside in the YAC department that Maclin does. This, however, is not true as Decker has actually averaged nearly four yards of YAC consistently over the course of his career... all while playing frequently over the middle where most yards are earned by fighting through contact, not by playing in space and making a defender miss.

Where Decker truly shines, though, is in the red zone. Since 2012, only four receivers have more touchdowns than Eric Decker- Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and Demaryius Thomas, with all four arguably being top 10 receivers in the NFL. This was all while Decker missed 13 games last season. Had he actually played in all 16 games and kept up his torrid touchdown pace, there's a good chance Decker would be number one on that list. Also of note, he has scored a touchdown in 14 of his last 19 games... with quarterbacks of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty. He has also had at least 80 yards or a touchdown (or both) in 18 of his last 19 games with the same rotation working for him.

So where's the too good to be true with these two?

With both, you have to worry to an extent about injuries. The greater injury threat to this point is Jeremy Maclin. He missed the entire 2013 season with a torn ACL and dealt with groin injuries that caused him to miss four games. He has routinely been nicked up in his career with minor injuries that have slowed him and caused him to not fulfill his full potential. With Decker, the big concern was a torn labrum in his shoulder and a hip injury that sent him to IR last season. The torn labrum was actually the big issue that put him on IR and the hip was only operated on because of the IR designation. Otherwise, Decker would have continued to play through the hip injury like he has for years, as suggested by his wife. While this may seem like cause for concern with regards to a possible degenerative hip, consider Decker has played in at least 15 games a season for every single year of his career except 2016 and now the issue is fully taken care of. The Jets fully medically cleared Decker well ahead of schedule for the upcoming 2017, suggesting no lingering effects from the surgery.

Both are obviously excellent choices and the Ravens should be thrilled to have either of the two. The question should not be, "Which is the better receiver?" for this reason. Rather, the question should be, "Which is a better fit for the Ravens?"

Given that the Ravens have three vertical options (Mike Wallace, Breshad Perriman, Chris Moore), give me Eric Decker. He fits better for what the Ravens need at this very moment. He's an over the middle, red zone threat, something the Ravens severely lack. He can be a security blanket over the middle for Flacco, much like Dennis Pitta was before his third hip injury. Decker can be the missing piece for the 2017 Ravens receiving corp much like Torrey Smith was for the 2011 Ravens (side note: if this were 2010 with Boldin, Housh, and Mason, give me Maclin). Right now, the team needs Decker.

Think of it this way: If it's 3rd and 10 in the red zone of the opponent, do you want to take your chances with Eric Decker on a slant over the middle or a screen pass to Maclin? Give me Decker every day of the week.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to agree that Decker could be the better fit, like you said, given we have Wallace and Perriman. With that said, I still think we would be good with either and I would only be upset if we can't get one of them.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'm starting to agree that Decker could be the better fit, like you said, given we have Wallace and Perriman. With that said, I still think we would be good with either and I would only be upset if we can't get one of them.
I should have probably prefaced it by saying I'd be thrilled with either. I think either (with Perriman developing) turns the Ravens wide receiver group from below average to at least a tick above average.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Everyone says maclin is fast but i just dont see it on his highlight tapes. Seems to get caught from behind really often. Hes just not as fast as we make him out to be. I think hes just a really good route runner with sure hands.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Everyone says maclin is fast but i just dont see it on his highlight tapes. Seems to get caught from behind really often. Hes just not as fast as we make him out to be. I think hes just a really good route runner with sure hands.
Oh, he's fast. He's very fast.

I think he just gets banged up so frequently that it saps some of that speed.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Good write up and I agree Decker is who I would prefer but would be happy with either.

Side note -- I want to thank you and all of the other moderators for creating/running this website as BR shut their forums down and this is such an awesome place to come to day in and day out. I never posted much on the previous forum, mainly because I didn't know my password, but this is such a laid back atmosphere to discuss what we all love, the Ravens. Just wanted to pass the positive feedback along.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good write up and I agree Decker is who I would prefer but would be happy with either.

Side note -- I want to thank you and all of the other moderators for creating/running this website as BR shut their forums down and this is such an awesome place to come to day in and day out. I never posted much on the previous forum, mainly because I didn't know my password, but this is such a laid back atmosphere to discuss what we all love, the Ravens. Just wanted to pass the positive feedback along.

Yup, I concur.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Initially I wanted Maclin but I wasnt aware of his injury history as that's the only reason I had him above Decker. I'm now on the Decker train as his red zone appeal is too much to pass on

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Initially I wanted Maclin but I wasnt aware of his injury history as that's the only reason I had him above Decker. I'm now on the Decker train as his red zone appeal is too much to pass on
I wouldn't even say either has a big injury history, but I remember back when he was with the Eagles, for me, it was, "Maclin would be better than Jackson if he were just consistently healthy."

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
Me, I would trade for Decker, renegotiate his contract and see where we are at. Then if Maclin comes back to us we have an option to work it out or thank him, wish him luck and move on.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Why not just get both....lol I know its unrealistic but Ozzie can work his magic and make it happen.
I think it would be unnecessary to have both, even if it was possible. But if there was no cap, and we had a lot of money, then sure, why not.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I just hope Maclin doesn't take so long and we lose decker by simply waiting..
I Mentioned this earlier. We can't sit around and wait. Even if the front office prefers player x to player B, it would be better to come away with player B than no player.
Why not just get both....lol I know its unrealistic but Ozzie can work his magic and make it happen.
even if it was possible, I wouldn't want both, I don't want to hinder BPs development anymore. Adding either I think makes our wr corps more than average.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Two weeks ago, it was bandied about that we might sign Victor Cruz.
What a mistake, to me that would have been given the prospect of landing either Decker or Maclin.

RavensDFan

Veteran
Very nice job on the article!

I prefer Decker myself too. I think lol But then I think back to when Flacco had that precise route runner in Mason and man, I don't know. I still lean towards Decker though.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Very nice job on the article!

I prefer Decker myself too. I think lol But then I think back to when Flacco had that precise route runner in Mason and man, I don't know. I still lean towards Decker though.
Like I said, I think it comes down to what the team needs at this very moment. If they bring in Maclin and added that to vertical threats in Williams at TE, Moore, Perriman, and Wallace at WR, I think you'd be seeing a lot more Cam Cameron type Air-Coryell looks.

With Decker, you then gain that strong inside presence that can go over the middle and adds a different dynamic to what the Ravens already have.