• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
How do you trade a future pick for Campbell I wonder? Very cool either way. To clarify, by future I mean we did the CC deal well before we traded Hurst no?
Since none of the trades can be effective until the same time (first minute of the new league year opening), I guess their argument is that they're simultaneous trades.
Or I'm sure there's a written agreement for the terms of the deal beforehand that basically says A 4th round pick, but doesn't specify which one, or it specifies that its the earliest or latest one in this case.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
How do you trade a future pick for Campbell I wonder? Very cool either way. To clarify, by future I mean we did the CC deal well before we traded Hurst no?
It is odd and it's almost like Decosta traded for a player with a pick he didnt even have yet. Seems to me like we had a deal in place to send Hurst to ATL around the same time as we had the Jags on the phone.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
The lack of Judon news is getting annoying

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The lack of Judon news is getting annoying
Honestly wouldn't expect any. No reason for him to sign his tag at this point, and ultimately, I don't think he gets traded.

Next time you hear Judon news, other than speculation about something that won't happen, may not be until July.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Lol, what kind of news are you expecting? He'll either make a deal long term with us or, more likely, play this season on a tag.
Ideally a trade lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Surprised he hasn't been arrested yet with all the stealing he's done throughout his career

I was the anti flacco bandwagon for years and surprise, surprise, another reason for my bans on the br.com board. I went utterly anal when we signed him to that extension. I said we'd be screwed as long as we have him starting and with that contract.

nice to see people take a step back and realize

he's laughing, he's absolutely milked 4 games like no other EVER.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I was the anti flacco bandwagon for years and surprise, surprise, another reason for my bans on the br.com board. I went utterly anal when we signed him to that extension. I said we'd be screwed as long as we have him starting and with that contract.

nice to see people take a step back and realize

he's laughing, he's absolutely milked 4 games like no other EVER.
I agree, but we really didn’t have a choice at the time. We didn’t trust Tyrod and we were hoping Flacco would take his playoff game into the regular season which never happened. He will always have a soft spot in my heart for that Super Bowl run, but the
boy fleeced us heavy

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree, but we really didn’t have a choice at the time. We didn’t trust Tyrod and we were hoping Flacco would take his playoff game into the regular season which never happened. He will always have a soft spot in my heart for that Super Bowl run, but the
boy fleeced us heavy

right after the superbowl win and the contract situation'' Can't wait to stick it to em ( the FO ) ''

You sure did Joe, fucked us up the ass with a 15 inch dildo.

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
right after the superbowl win and the contract situation'' Can't wait to stick it to em ( the FO ) ''

Shoot, probably worth it for that Super Bowl Ring. Plenty of teams have paid far more money without any payoff.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I defended it, for two main reasons:
1. You pretty much had no choice. You could have tried to play the "crystal ball" game and let him walk, but that's also the kind of decision that, if it backfires, everybody in the building gets fired. Harbaugh, DeCosta, Ozzie, etc.... all gone. If you walk away from a SB MVP-level QB, in his prime, who's given you 2-3 straight years of a pretty solid QB play, and you're wrong, you're done.
Fans can't really relate to this, because everything fans do is from a position of zero risk. Fans assume precisely zero responsibility for any bad personnel decisions they advocate.
2. The contract size and length was fine... the structure of it was absolutely horrendous, and that's what the FO should own. Backloading a contract that poorly was so ill-advised and reckless that it screwed us for multiple years. It guaranteed you had to sign him to another extension after 2015 (when you probably didn't want to), and it guaranteed that no matter how flat you made that extension, you still had to bare the brunt of backloading the original deal so poorly.
One of the all-time worst contract structures I've ever seen.

That being said, it wasn't really until about 2016 where it set in that it was over. 2013 he was garbage, but the offensive talent around him was pathetic, and in 2014 he was actually quite good, and it showed on the field. He had a garbage Oline and probably the worst secondary for an NFL team I've ever seen at the end of the season, and they still won 10 games and played very well in the playoffs. And 2015 he sucked for half a year, got hurt, and everybody thought he would bounce back. Never did.

In a perfect world, they'd have signed him to a flatter contract structure prior to 2013, he'd have played through 2016, and they'd have cut bait after that. Instead, we were stuck with him at high prices points for an additional two years after that.

I too got banned from BR.com, mostly for how I criticized fellow posters for how unbelievably bad they were at personnel decisions and talent evaluation. I realized that there are people walking this planet who legitimately believe (not just fake it online) that they're just as good at talent evaluation and running a roster as NFL GM's are. And I would relentlessly bury them over and over again about all their failures (and there were a TON) until they complained to the mods about it.