• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh I’d 100% get it. I’ll never say a guy shouldn’t take the money. The irony of his agent making it a point that he had fun and wanted to be back and then possibly going to Carolina is just a wild departure lol

Tbf the agent made no promises about what that would mean - was just stating the obvious, that he was having a nice time on a successful team with good vibes that wasn’t full of organisational dysfunction

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I honestly don't understand why Bosa is on that list. If you just compare Bosa to Mack, Bosa is four years younger, every bit as productive, has two years remaining on his deal as opposed to one, and in terms of actual cash, costs several million $ less.
I have no idea who would arrive at the conclusion that you keep Mack over Bosa.

And I also have no idea why, if you're going to keep one of the two receivers, you don't extend one of them. Both are in the final year of their deal. Really makes no sense to keep them for just one year.
I think they'll cut Williams and look to do a 1-2 year extension with Allen ASAP.
they truly aren't thinking straight and I agree, they extend Allen and cut Williams while trying to trade Mack and they could easily restructure the contracts of the players they keep as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Need to see the details. I'd guess it's a $4-5M paycut. I don't think he'd agree to play for less than $10M.
I'm also imagining if he plays 17 games he'll earn almost all of it back, meaning his cap hit in '25 will be higher.

It’s a compromise that allows the ravens to hedge - Stanley gets guarantees that he won’t be cut, ravens get to know he’s on the roster for 2024 on a lower cap number (don’t need to cut him or anything), Stanley takes a paycut (of some non-guaranteed money anyway) with the chance to earn more back

We’ve got our LT of 2024 on a reduced cap hit, with the ability to move on if he’s not healthy in 2025 and doesn’t preclude us from drafting his replacement or signing a backup plan

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s a compromise that allows the ravens to hedge - Stanley gets guarantees that he won’t be cut, ravens get to know he’s on the roster for 2024 on a lower cap number (don’t need to cut him or anything), Stanley takes a paycut (of some non-guaranteed money anyway) with the chance to earn more back

We’ve got our LT of 2024 on a reduced cap hit, with the ability to move on if he’s not healthy in 2025 and doesn’t preclude us from drafting his replacement or signing a backup plan
Right I guess my point is this, likely, means he's your starting LT in 2024. Meaning if he's healthy, and plays all games, he'll earn this $ back, which will be on the '25 cap. You're just deferring cap to next year in that case. Which I agree is a good way to do it, and the best solution, but it might not be $20M in cap savings in '25 anymore. It might be $15M, depending on how much of a cut he took.

Simba

Staff Member
Tbf the agent made no promises about what that would mean - was just stating the obvious, that he was having a nice time on a successful team with good vibes that wasn’t full of organisational dysfunction
Oh yeah agreed. By no means saying he should stay just because he said he had fun. Just your typical case where the words don’t matter if the money doesn’t back it up.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Right I guess my point is this, likely, means he's your starting LT in 2024. Meaning if he's healthy, and plays all games, he'll earn this $ back, which will be on the '25 cap. You're just deferring cap to next year in that case. Which I agree is a good way to do it, and the best solution, but it might not be $20M in cap savings in '25 anymore. It might be $15M, depending on how much of a cut he took.
correct, it may only be 15m next year, but you saved 5m this season so it becomes the same savings, but with a higher salary cap as well.

Simba

Staff Member
But glad to see Stanley and the Ravens work it out. Genuinely believe that if he was not amenable to a pay cut, he'd be on the streets looking for another job right now. Think this is a win-win for both sides - Stanley probably wasn't getting as much on the open market and the Ravens aren't pressured to find a replacement immediately.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

For sure - they get to move money around to get under the cap this year but save a bunch if he’s injured again

And it still won’t be prohibitive to get rid of him next year

I also imagine some of the extra incentives will be tied to play time (if we get 17 full games then great), pro bowl or all-pro honours too maybe

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I don't know that we're certain he'll be able to earn every penny back just with playing time incentives.

If his agent doesn't believe there's a market for him higher than his dead cap numbers, the Ravens would have enough leverage to force him to take a genuine pay cut.

The incentives could be based on Pro Bowls or All Pros etc. If he gets back to that level I don't think anyone would have a problem with his contract anyway.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know that we're certain he'll be able to earn every penny back just with playing time incentives.

If his agent doesn't believe there's a market for him higher than his dead cap numbers, the Ravens would have enough leverage to force him to take a genuine pay cut.

The incentives could be based on Pro Bowls or All Pros etc. If he gets back to that level I don't think anyone would have a problem with his contract anyway.
Maybe. I haven't seen the details. And its not about a market above his dead cap numbers. The dead cap number includes $ paid years ago.
It's about how much he's owed, in cash, vs what he would make in the market.
Right now that's $15M. He and his agent clearly don't think he could get $15M on the open market, and they're probably right about that.
I personally think he could get $8-10M though, so I think his pay cut is probably in the $5M range.

But again I don't have the details yet.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Joining in late to the party

1. Stanley - glad to see the paycut, he wasn’t worth what he was paid with the risks associated but I like this deal and I think it’s fair. I’m glad we don’t need to stress about LT but I don’t think this precludes us from getting his replacement.
2. Clowney - I still would like him back. If he leaves for money I won’t blame him. I actually think he is the most likely guy left who could net us a 3rd.
3. Queen - it sucks he went to PIT of all teams and even worse it was for essentially a 4th (I could’ve lived with it if it’s a 3rd) but I don’t really fault him. Gotta get the money you can while you can. I hope he reverts back to 2021 Queen for them though lol

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe. I haven't seen the details. And its not about a market above his dead cap numbers. The dead cap number includes $ paid years ago.
It's about how much he's owed, in cash, vs what he would make in the market.
Right now that's $15M. He and his agent clearly don't think he could get $15M on the open market, and they're probably right about that.
I personally think he could get $8-10M though, so I think his pay cut is probably in the $5M range.

But again I don't have the details yet.
I’d agree his pay cut is likely between 5-8 million. I sincerely doubt it’s 10M. I’d be elated with any number higher than 5M, but that’s still pretty good savings for us and him

Simba

Staff Member
weird saga that's finally over and everyone gets to move on
will be interesting if he catches on with another team... or whether he's just had a bizarre end to his career
Would guess he has to take the minimum and compete in camp at this point. Think there's enough there for someone to take a shot but may not result in anything.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

Makes sense.

I've got a feeling we might have a tough time bringing back some of our cheap roster fillers this year, as we've seen with Delshawn Phillips, with so many former Ravens as DCs/HCs/GMs around the league.

Van Noy, Urban, Maulet etc might go for a little more than we can afford.