• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bateman on an affordable deal seems like a really smart move. The Y5 option seemed like too much to pay so essentially taking the same money and turning it into a Y5 and 6 option is a really good compromise. WRs that can get open in the NFL are never going to be cheap.

I still believe in Bate. Maybe knowing he's going to be around for another 3 years will force Lamar to put a bit of trust in him, even though he's not from Florida.

Shows that EDC really wasn’t lying when he said they believe in him

He was a 1st round pick for a reason and he gets open - what’s been missing is chemistry with Lamar

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
If the reported numbers are indeed $5M/year, it seems cheap on the surface but is actually a shrewd move. On Bateman's side, he hasn't proven anything yet. If he bombs this year, finding a guaranteed long-ish term deal may be difficult. In this instance, he gets money now that sets him up for life at this point most likely. He goes out and plays well and he'll be back on the FA market at only 27 years old and has a chance to cash in yet again. It's betting on himself but also with the realization that it could go the opposite way.

And on our side it isn't much risk but a great deal if it works out. Makes WR less of a need going into the draft although could still see them pounce on value if it is there, just probably not in the 1st

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Shows that EDC really wasn’t lying when he said they believe in him

He was a 1st round pick for a reason and he gets open - what’s been missing is chemistry with Lamar
Yeah it bodes well for Bateman and the wr corps, knowing that they can talk about how they believe in their guys til they’re blue in the face but roster moves will show the truth. Coaching, FO, and especially Lamar, have all spoken VERY highly of Bateman from day one even when he was starting to look diva-ish.

I officially believe in Bateman now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And on our side it isn't much risk but a great deal if it works out. Makes WR less of a need going into the draft although could still see them pounce on value if it is there, just probably not in the 1st

still expect us to grab someone in this great WR class somewhere in day 2
we missed out in 2020 (except for devin duvernay... which wasnt a great outcome obviously) - i expect us to try and make sure we dont miss out this year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah it bodes well for Bateman and the wr corps, knowing that they can talk about how they believe in their guys til they’re blue in the face but roster moves will show the truth. Coaching, FO, and especially Lamar, have all spoken VERY highly of Bateman from day one even when he was starting to look diva-ish.

genuinely one of my favourite WR prospects from the last few WR classes - mix of athleticism, flexibility, route-running craft should not have been available to us where we got him

injuries have held him back

give him a full training camp with Lamar (with no injury niggles) and i think we see some progress

Tank

Hall of Famer

Yeah, he got flakey there for a while, but I thought Bates looked like he was playing with purpose last year and was ready roll. TBH having OBJ here may have held him back a bit.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah, he got flakey there for a while, but I thought Bates looked like he was playing with purpose last year and was ready roll. TBH having OBJ here may have held him back a bit.
I think having OBJ here for a year was more valuable than anyone realizes. The core of the ravens is extremely young and inexperienced, especially the offense, beckhams perspective alone I think helped shed a lot of light on our young offense and is gonna serve them for years to come.

There’s no replacement for the kind of experience Beckham has had, from top of the league all world superstar, to troubled and less productive, to humbled and working hard and ultimately becoming a professional and teammate. You saw that perspective change in Lamar this season, he didn’t get too up, realized there was still work to be done, don’t celebrate yet etc. that kind of growth can definitely be sparked by having a guy like Beckham around.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Breakout season incoming. #SIIE

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Appreciate it my guy. I know I don’t post as much as I did when it was the Br.com message board, but I definitely like to hop on here and share the stuff I hear from my source when I can haha
what was your screen name on the br board?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It was still Tyler lol. It was basic af at the time but I kept it so the OGs knew who I was on here haha.
keep posting and don't worry about RMC. He's someone you could argue both sides of an issue and he would find a way to change his argument.