• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can someone @Jeff Z for some Houston clarity? I really want it to happen

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
When we traded for Ngakoue, we gave a 2021 3rd and a 2022 conditional 5th round pick. Does anyone know what the condition was for the conditional pick?
5th rounder stays.

The conditional 5th rounder was actually part of the language when the Jags traded him to Minnesota, and the Ravens essentially agreed to "inherit" that agreement.

Pick would have upgraded to a 4th rounder if Yannick made a Pro Bowl in 2020, and it upgraded to a third rounder if he made a Pro Bowl AND the team he played for won the SB.

Neither happened, so it remained a 5th rounder.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...g-deal-jacksonville-jaguars-minnesota-vikings

So effectively:
Jags receive: 2021 2nd rounder and 5th rounder from Vikings
Vikings receive: 2021 3rd rounder and 5th rounder from Ravens + half a season of Yannick
Ravens receive: half a season of Yannick

So Vikings basically traded back one round in 2021 and moved a little further back in round 5 to get half a season of Yannick, while the Ravens gave up a 3 and 5 for the same half a season.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
i mean based on the tape i've seen idk that any GM or front office person or coach would argue for villanueva over brown
but that doesn't mean he's total trash like some steelers fans are suggesting
Because Villanueva is a traitor to them. That's why they flapping the gums.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
5th rounder stays.

The conditional 5th rounder was actually part of the language when the Jags traded him to Minnesota, and the Ravens essentially agreed to "inherit" that agreement.

Pick would have upgraded to a 4th rounder if Yannick made a Pro Bowl in 2020, and it upgraded to a third rounder if he made a Pro Bowl AND the team he played for won the SB.

Neither happened, so it remained a 5th rounder.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...g-deal-jacksonville-jaguars-minnesota-vikings
Thanks, I figured it stayed, but wasn't sure.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Total 2022 Haul

Ravens 1st
Ravens 2nd
Ravens 3rd
Culley Comp (3rd)
Cardinals 4th
Ravens 4th
Judon Comp (4th)
Ngakoue Comp(4th)
Chiefs 5th
Ravens 7th

i mean based on the tape i've seen idk that any GM or front office person or coach would argue for villanueva over brown
but that doesn't mean he's total trash like some steelers fans are suggesting
What concerns me about he PFF grades is that Big Ben had the quickest release time last season. You'd expect a tackle to grade highly if the QB is getting rid of the ball quickly instead AV graded average. Then again Orlando Brown was in a very favorable scheme that basically removes the threat of an inside or outside rush. Also the Steelers had the lowest amount of play action passes, while the Ravens were in the top 5. I think this is probably a lateral move.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What concerns me about he PFF grades is that Big Ben had the quickest release time last season. You'd expect a tackle to grade highly if the QB is getting rid of the ball quickly instead AV graded average. Then again Orlando Brown was in a very favorable scheme that basically removes the threat of an inside or outside rush. Also the Steelers had the lowest amount of play action passes, while the Ravens were in the top 5. I think this is probably a lateral move.
I mean, its a downgrade. I don't think anybody expects Villanueva to be as good as Brown, either short term or long term.

But just because its a downgrade doesn't mean he'll be terrible, we can't win games, or we lost the trade. We got Oweh with that pick, among others. We will see how that pans out.

I get why Pittsburgh would be happy to see him leave (sort of). But they also don't really have much in terms of replacement, and he's also not likely to spend a large amount of time at LT here either.

If I were a Steelers fan (I'd kill myself first), I'd be less worried about who isn't on my roster and more worried about who is. I'd be more worried about how to solving a rushing game that's non-existent (and no, one RB won't solve that) and figuring out how to develop an offense that isn't so easy to defend.

And then I'd be worried about figuring out how to stop Cleveland or Baltimore from running all over me. They gave up almost 800 rushing yards in 5 games against those two teams last year. And I'm not seeing where that improvement is coming from.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Did that tw@t really say that?
On 105.7 he said something along the lines of “I don’t think the ravens are really pushing for
Justin Houston, maybe later in the offseason we can see a Kerrigan or something who would be mostly setting the edge and being a leader but that’s about it”

that’s not word for word, but as close as I could make it off the top of my head lol

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean, its a downgrade. I don't think anybody expects Villanueva to be as good as Brown, either short term or long term.

But just because its a downgrade doesn't mean he'll be terrible, we can't win games, or we lost the trade. We got Oweh with that pick, among others. We will see how that pans out.

I get why Pittsburgh would be happy to see him leave (sort of). But they also don't really have much in terms of replacement, and he's also not likely to spend a large amount of time at LT here either.

If I were a Steelers fan (I'd kill myself first), I'd be less worried about who isn't on my roster and more worried about who is. I'd be more worried about how to solving a rushing game that's non-existent (and no, one RB won't solve that) and figuring out how to develop an offense that isn't so easy to defend.

And then I'd be worried about figuring out how to stop Cleveland or Baltimore from running all over me. They gave up almost 800 rushing yards in 5 games against those two teams last year. And I'm not seeing where that improvement is coming from.
isn't Villanueva a better pass blocker than Brown?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
On 105.7 he said something along the lines of “I don’t think the ravens are really pushing for
Justin Houston, maybe later in the offseason we can see a Kerrigan or something who would be mostly setting the edge and being a leader but that’s about it”

that’s not word for word, but as close as I could make it off the top of my head lol
Oh fuck him

Can someone @Jeff Z for some Houston clarity? I really want it to happen
People have been. He says he thinks they could sign an edge but isn't sure when. Said he thinks they should as well. He also mentioned that he's heard no rumours connecting Kerrigan to the Ravens (but acknowledged that that doesn't rule it out).

JAAM

Hall of Famer
People have been. He says he thinks they could sign an edge but isn't sure when. Said he thinks they should as well. He also mentioned that he's heard no rumours connecting Kerrigan to the Ravens (but acknowledged that that doesn't rule it out).
Thank you!!

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i saw elsewhere that ravens are very in on houston but the cap is complicated to make it work - my guess is they really wanted houston before the orlando trade, and now they still want houston but villanueva's signing makes it more difficult to pull off