• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe. I mean Clark will still be here, so I'm mostly just thinking about another Starter and depth.

The issue of course is, barring injury, I don't expect either get much actual playing time at Safety this year. So if they elect not to re-sign Elliott, it would be a huge leap of faith in my eyes to give one of those guys the starting job without much in-game action to show. Especially true of an UDFA.

I don't know that they'll like lock in on a first round Safety or anything like that, but I expect more heads to be added to that group in the offseason if they let Elliott walk.

Ok now we’re in lock-step agreeance. I can see that

Simba

Staff Member
Will see about the Oline. I'm not yet convinced, but I haven't seen what 2021 looks like.

Stanley will be back. Zeitler will be back. You'll have Villanueva and James (returning from injury) who could be back.
Center would be the ?, but if Bozeman plays well and gets re-signed, that's another position you're not really worried about.
That basically leaves a Guard spot and depth. You've used two third round picks and a fourth round pick on three guys who can play LG seemingly in the last three years (Phillips, Cleveland, Powers).

As it stands today, I don't think targeting starting Olineman in the offseason is a priority, unless you lose Bozeman and don't have a Center. I think adding depth will be a priority, specifically at Tackle.

This could all change 4 months from now, but that's what I see currently.

Dline is an inevitable need. I think Safety has a chance to be a strong need. And I think adding talent overall to the front 7 (including linebacker) will be an emphasis. I fully expect the next few drafts to be quite defensive heavy. We're young in most spots on Offense.

I am specifically talking about OT for what it’s worth. I’d still be open to another interior OL as well but probably not another mid round swing.

But OT is absolutely a need. Whether that’s a future RT or just a swing T, we need to add some talent there. James is a good addition but Villanueva is basically under a 1 year deal so there’s a need there.

But I agree with the point as a whole. Drafts should be very defensive heavy. Could see a TE or RB at the offensive skill positions but nothing more than a mid round shot. Early picks should absolutely be devoted to the D next year as it currently stands.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am specifically talking about OT for what it’s worth. I’d still be open to another interior OL as well but probably not another mid round swing.

But OT is absolutely a need. Whether that’s a future RT or just a swing T, we need to add some talent there. James is a good addition but Villanueva is basically under a 1 year deal so there’s a need there.

But I agree with the point as a whole. Drafts should be very defensive heavy. Could see a TE or RB at the offensive skill positions but nothing more than a mid round shot. Early picks should absolutely be devoted to the D next year as it currently stands.
Right I mean some of this is going to depend on how good Villaneuva is, and how James recovers from injury. The former you'll know before the draft. The latter you have no clue most likely, because he's a long shot to play meaningful snaps this year.
If Villaneuva plays well, you can theoretically keep him, though his $9.25M cap hit in 2022 is much higher than I would like. If that happens, you basically now have three respectable Tackles on the roster, though only one is cheap. Sort of falls into the same range as Safety for me at that point, which is I need to add a body, but it doesn't have to be an early round pick. It can be another Tyre Phillips (hopefully better) in the middle rounds.
Now if Villanueva sucks, then you've got yourself an issue. You almost certainly won't retain him, you won't know how good James is until camp/preseason at least. Then it becomes a priority.
So in some ways, your needs at OT for 2021 and even for 2022 can somewhat be decided by how good Villaneuva is.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Understatement of the year. It's an old group, and outside of Madubuike and I guess Broderick Washington (who probably isn't starting caliber at this point), I don't expect any of Campbell, Williams or Wolfe to be back. You're going to need to add 3-4 Dlineman to this team in the offseason, including probably at least 2 starting-caliber players. That position group in 2022 will look nothing like 2021 in my eyes.
Wolfe was a 2 yr contract but that was just for cap purposes. Campbell is definitely retiring at the end of the year. The only wild card in my mind is Williams. If they can extend him on the cheap, I'd be ok with it.

I think we should take a look at Marvin Wilson, he was one of the more highly touted UDFA that ended up signing with Cleveland in the offseason. He was cut, but I'd like to take a look at him and see if we can stash him on the PS.

Simba

Staff Member

rossihunter2

Staff Member
GOD I hope so…. Last player was picked because he was “momma harbaughs favorite player”…. As said in the press conference when discussing the [profanity deleted] pick of Ben Mason. Like wtf world is this? Lmao

Then he wanted to trade up for Ben Cleveland, who Rossi has pointed out as having his share of flaws. Just shut up John

there's nothing wrong with him advocating for players - the harbaugh's mom comments were clearly just off-handed funny anecdotes and obviously didnt have any impact on his drafting lol

but there's nothing wrong with the front office valuing guys that the coaching staff like - especially when you get later in the draft - ben cleveland was a harbs guy but so was tyre phillips the year before and no one complains about that pick

and it's not all lost for cleveland, he showed some nice things when i watched the broadcast of preseason week 3 and im looking forward to actually analysing his play there properly - he's just not perfect and hasn't learned to overcome some of his flaws yet which is understandable

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What's interesting to me, in the short-term, is that they're carrying 7 WRs, of which at least one is going to IR tomorrow (Bateman) and possibly two (Boykin), yet it doesn't appear either of the two obvious "veterans" that they cut and would seemingly like to re-sign (McPhee or Levine) are WRs, so they'll likely roll with 5 WRs until they do PS call-ups mid-week.

Very heavy in the secondary with 12 DB's (assuming they re-sign Levine).

My other prediction... they'll scour the waiver wire for FA Offensive Tackles. Might amount to nothing, but I can't believe they're happy with the depth there.

in the past at least 1 of the WRs on the roster was earmarked for special teams and we dont really have a large special teams WR group at the moment - but all the DBs play special teams - the benefit is that we're keeping guys with talent and promise because they've also showed enough on special teams

Simba

Staff Member
warrior to the seahawks - how frustrating... but oh well

i assumed that if anyone was claimed it would be warrior to the panthers because he did well against them in practices and preseason

Not shocked by Warrior but McCrary is interesting. Showed decently well but not sure I see him as anything more than a fringe back that bounces around the league on various PSs for most of his career.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
there's nothing wrong with him advocating for players - the harbaugh's mom comments were clearly just off-handed funny anecdotes and obviously didnt have any impact on his drafting lol

but there's nothing wrong with the front office valuing guys that the coaching staff like - especially when you get later in the draft - ben cleveland was a harbs guy but so was tyre phillips the year before and no one complains about that pick

and it's not all lost for cleveland, he showed some nice things when i watched the broadcast of preseason week 3 and im looking forward to actually analysing his play there properly - he's just not perfect and hasn't learned to overcome some of his flaws yet which is understandable

Have any of Harbs Michigan drafted players even turned in one solid season? Not even asking about Pro Bowls… No?? Then the guy needs to STFU in the war room. He has no credibility in terms of drafting players whatsoever

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Have any of Harbs Michigan drafted players even turned in one solid season? Not even asking about Pro Bowls… No?? Then the guy needs to STFU in the war room. He has no credibility in terms of drafting players whatsoever

chris wormley and willie henry both played fairly well for us at times and we've only drafted 4 michigan guys... and the 4th one is a fullback...

i dont really get the issue - outside of wormley these are all day 3 picks where the hit rate is low everywhere

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
chris wormley and willie henry both played fairly well for us at times and we've only drafted 4 michigan guys... and the 4th one is a fullback...

i dont really get the issue - outside of wormley these are all day 3 picks where the hit rate is low everywhere

Wormley was solid? :D:D:D:D

Simba

Staff Member
means we'll be adding some guys from outside the building to the PS at RB...

Definitely saw a lot of intriguing names cut and it shouldn't be too hard to lure them here with (1) the fact that we have no depth and (2) they're going to get a better opportunity to run here than anywhere else