• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

marklar

Pro Bowler
Like the signing, and just hope that the Ravens cursed history of costly safety FAs ends here. I will not mention Thomas, Jefferson, Huff....
Weddle being the exception to the rule ^_^

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I haven’t seen this shit since Ed

Simba

Staff Member
I don't understand the panic. We will probably have room for 1 bigger signing and maybe 1 or 2 mid-level ones.

We have a metric ton of draft picks as well. I know you can't count on them all to pan out but there's no reason you can't take at least a shot at all of our holes with all of those resources. Every hole isn't filled by some top notch guy in FA.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's hard to say tbh - they're both pretty good fits but the ravens also havent had the rangy deep free safety and they've clearly wanted one again for years so it's possible that we've not completely seen (outside of earl thomas in 2019) what that role looks like

but with the way we've used safeties since Wink took over, idk that mathieu's not a better fit for that role - i think what's clear is that the ravens have always had a different idea of what other role they want filled in that defence and we've just never had that player

I'm not a huge fan of how we used our safeties during Wink's tenure so I'm hoping Williams will allow us to get closer to our Reed-era days, in which our safeties had more refined roles.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bozeman's market is shrinking. It only takes one team but I don't think too many teams are fond of paying him a market setting price.

what we heard yesterday was that at least 4 teams were very interested in him yesterday (panthers, jets, giants, bengals) - although worth pointing out that 3 of them have since signed interior OL not named bradley bozeman

if his price comes down then great - but JC Tretter's also out there now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't understand the panic. We will probably have room for 1 bigger signing and maybe 1 or 2 mid-level ones.

We have a metric ton of draft picks as well. I know you can't count on them all to pan out but there's no reason you can't take at least a shot at all of our holes with all of those resources. Every hole isn't filled by some top notch guy in FA.

and if you want top notch FA guys, this is the kind of deal you have to make - and this is also less than i thought williams would get tbh too

Simba

Staff Member
what we heard yesterday was that at least 4 teams were very interested in him yesterday (panthers, jets, giants, bengals) - although worth pointing out that 3 of them have since signed interior OL not named bradley bozeman

if his price comes down then great - but JC Tretter's also out there now

I think they'd lean Bozeman due to the younger age (if pricing is similar) assuming we're even in that market. I wouldn't be upset if we signed either of them for what it's worth. But feels like the leverage has flipped to the Ravens side if they do want to retain Bozeman. And I also think Bozeman wants to be here all things considered.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
We don't have a center, we may or may not have a LT and RT.

We have only one edge player and is name is Oweh.

We only have basically 3 guys for the entire DL: Madabuike, Washington, and Ellis.

We have only one LB in PQ.

We still need another corner.

The defense is a mess dude.
I wouldn't put it past them to get a guy like LJ Fort or Josh Bynes at LB. I think the issues there are a little overblown. I would've loved a Bobby Wagner type signing but we can't make short term investments.

The Ravens really like Ju'wan James and Patrick Mekari got an extension. That's pretty good RT depth if you ask me. They need to find a starting-caliber tackle but I wouldn't be too bothered with Mekari and James at RT if we upgrade C or LG spot. You're going to have to deal with a weak link on the OL every year. That's a sad reality of building an offensive line, you cannot plug every hole on the OL.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
but on the plus side we've added a playmaker and our roster has genuine stars at most major positions (if they're healthy)

obviously when you put it like that it looks bad but i could also frame it like this:

the offence is probably only 2 players away (a starter at C and a starter or swing at tackle) from being outrageously stacked with talent
the defence has some holes but is also full of playmakers and speed with peters, marlon, williams, PQ, Oweh, Madubuike and Bowser

we've still got some money in free agency to add depth and maybe find another starter (or even 2)
we've got the 14th pick in the draft where there's a very good chance we're going to add either an EDGE, a CB or an OT
we've got 3 picks on day 2 and we own the 4th round

lots of opportunities to plug holes and add talent
I'm still sick Bowser tore his Achilles the final game of the season. I'm so bullish on him but I hope that injury doesn't hold him back. I agree, lots of opportunities to fill in the holes and we have some really good tackle depth.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not a huge fan of how we used our safeties during Wink's tenure so I'm hoping Williams will allow us to get closer to our Reed-era days, in which our safeties had more refined roles.

i mean i dont want to do that lol- and macdonald has already talked about how important disguise is to his defence too - i fully expect us to do a ton with our safeties still (probably why we put so much value in the position because we ask them to do a fuckton more complex shit than other teams do)

what it does do is make us more effective when we go to those single-high man coverages because the guy we've got single-high is a genuine threat - i dont expect the defence to change much tbh, but williams allows us to be more threatening in those coverages and out of those same looks

Simba

Staff Member
i mean i dont want to do that lol- and macdonald has already talked about how important disguise is to his defence too - i fully expect us to do a ton with our safeties still (probably why we put so much value in the position because we ask them to do a fuckton more complex shit than other teams do)

what it does do is make us more effective when we go to those single-high man coverages because the guy we've got single-high is a genuine threat - i dont expect the defence to change much tbh, but williams allows us to be more threatening in those coverages and out of those same looks

The biggest difference I see in our D from watching Michigan is that I think the guys up from are going to get more opportunities to win 1-on-1 battles than they did under Wink. Less slow developing stunts and things like that. I see the secondary playing very similarly to how we did in 2018 and 2019... but with obviously better personnel now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think they'd lean Bozeman due to the younger age (if pricing is similar) assuming we're even in that market. I wouldn't be upset if we signed either of them for what it's worth. But feels like the leverage has flipped to the Ravens side if they do want to retain Bozeman. And I also think Bozeman wants to be here all things considered.

i think his ideal outcome is that the most money ends up being from the ravens - i do think tretter is probably the better player though - albeit not as big a disparity as between jensen and bozeman but it's not like tretter's that old either

but you're definitely right that bozeman staying would add a ton of stability that we havent had at the position in forever - but the money does have to be right for the ravens to pay him

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything on Tretter today. Dude just got released a few hours ago. I doubt he's going to turn around and sign a deal a few hours later. May take a day or two.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I take a nap and we sign the best safety on the market? HELL YEAH! I see a lot more coverage sacks this year.

Also curious what's going on with Averett, surprised a market hasn't developed for him yet.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The biggest difference I see in our D from watching Michigan is that I think the guys up from are going to get more opportunities to win 1-on-1 battles than they did under Wink. Less slow developing stunts and things like that. I see the secondary playing very similarly to how we did in 2018 and 2019... but with obviously better personnel now.

yeah - macdonald's even talked about the difference in terms of how we blitz and create pressure - wink would often overload gaps and create pressure with numbers and that was amazing in '18 and '19 when we crowded the line and used a lot of simulated pressure but i think teams got wise to the numbers and were able to predict the blitz so were prepared and able to execute in the quick game which put a ton of pressure on the DBs to not only be good but to be basically perfect

macdonald's talked about being more gap disciplined even with stunts and blitzes - as you say he's not necessarily deadset on creating free rushers but isnt going to shy away from simulated pressures but is philosophically more into creating 1v1 matchups with his pressure looks and staying gap sound