• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well some of those question marks are YOUR question marks, not mine, nor are they necessarily the Ravens question marks. The question marks are opinions, not facts.
If we want a stud LG then we should be paying for a stud LG, because nothing in the draft is guaranteed. I could argue nothing in FA is guaranteed either, but obviously monetarily one has advantages over the other.

In terms of the difference between yours and my assumptions, I think they're pretty dramatic. For starters, the entire basis for your assumptions are "I don't know if these guys are healthy or good". Not very provocative. You could say that about like 80% of the roster, including our entire secondary (literally), our entire RB room (literally), and our QB. Is the expectation we're going to have contingencies or replacements for all of those guys as well, since we don't know how they'll respond to injuries or even if they're good? (Doubt it)

As for my assumptions, they have less to do with how productive they'll be (because I don't know, and neither do you) and about how they're going to fit in a finite roster. Its kind of hard to argue I have a "biased logjam", considering I didn't make the logjam. The Ravens did. When you basically guarantee that 5-6 of your lineman are on the active roster, that's of their creation, not mine. My bias or lack thereof doesn't change that they don't really have options to reduce it.
So my assumptions (I'd argue they're not assumptions at all) are based on the following:
1. We've got three tackles who are locked into roster spots. Stanley, Moses, Mekari. Really doesn't matter how we feel about them, they've been signed and structured in a way that they're not going anywhere but to the 53 man, or on IR.
2. We have a great Guard in Zeitler, and we've also used two day two draft picks on interior lineman in the last two years, which is Cleveland and Phillips. Neither got a tremendous amount of playing time at that spot in the last few years, but it would be extremely odd for the Ravens to move on from either, given they really don't know if either can play that spot. Anybody who is assuming that they can't play that spot also has no real basis for that assumption, because they really haven't seen it.
In my opinion, which I think is hard to argue against at this point, those six guys all have locked in roster spots.

Haven't addressed Center yet, meaning there's probably another addition coming there AND somebody who can back them up. Likely TCC.

The irony for me is that we're talking about a high level of certainty of any Guard or Tackle being drafted high in the draft, when we've already relatively done that for several years now. Took two guards in round three the last two years, and we also took guards in the 4th round in 19 and 20, and we still apparently have an opening there. Not sure another day 2 or day 3 draft pick should be assumed to be a starter at that level either, or even a high end backup.
All I’m saying is you’re making assumptions too. Nothing you say is based on fact. You’re acting hypocritical criticizing others for their opinion when everything is just your opinion. That’s the point of the modern Internet: opinions and facts and sifting through them.

As far as your other points, a lot of people not just me are asking if Stanley will return. The Ravens won’t let us know because they don’t operate like that and it’s a good thing. Hopefully Stanley recovers but it’s also a bit risky to assume he will without a contingency. Mekari may be it but maybe not. We’ve historically drafted a T to play G and moved numerous times sometimes out of necessity. I think that’s because we like our OL to be diverse to maneuver them. Even JO played Guard.

Stanley had major surgery. It’s a fair question. I’m not sure your background but I have a medical degree among others and would say It’s not a given. For the record, I’m not saying my assumption is any more accurate than yours. I’m just disagreeing with you is all.

I’m not certain we will draft a T high but I’m not saying we won’t like you.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm so excited to find out what happens in NFL free agency that's going to start in almost an hour's time.

You guys think we'll manage to find any OL help? Anyone in the secondary?

I just hope Morgan doesn’t change his mind. Hopefully no teams see that contract and try to one up it

marklar

Pro Bowler
I'm so excited to find out what happens in NFL free agency that's going to start in almost an hour's time.

Maybe we need to add an Illegal Legal Tampering window so we can get an idea who we've been cheating with before the legal window?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

It's a tough market. Maybe, if we're lucky.

On the serious note - does anyone think we'll hear anything before Goldman's visit?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
All I’m saying is you’re making assumptions too. Nothing you say is based on fact. You’re acting hypocritical criticizing others for their opinion when everything is just your opinion. That’s the point of the modern Internet: opinions and facts and sifting through them.

As far as your other points, a lot of people not just me are asking if Stanley will return. The Ravens won’t let us know because they don’t operate like that and it’s a good thing. Hopefully Stanley recovers but it’s also a bit risky to assume he will without a contingency. Mekari may be it but maybe not. We’ve historically drafted a T to play G and moved numerous times sometimes out of necessity. I think that’s because we like our OL to be diverse to maneuver them. Even JO played Guard.

Stanley had major surgery. It’s a fair question. I’m not sure your background but I have a medical degree among others and would say It’s not a given. For the record, I’m not saying my assumption is any more accurate than yours. I’m just disagreeing with you is all.

I’m not certain we will draft a T high but I’m not saying we won’t like you.
I mean...ok, but several of the things I said in my last post weren't opinions. They actually were facts.
The fact that Stanley, Mekari and Moses have guaranteed roster spots isn't an opinion. It's a fact.
The fact that we have at least two interior lineman on the roster with guaranteed roster spots isn't an opinion either. It's a fact.
These things aren't up for debate or interpretation. The questionability of their impact or how well they play has a 0% impact on their roster status and how we allocate that.

I really don't care if people are talking about if Stanley returns. The entire concept of questioning whether he will isn't based on anything scientific or anything from a doctor, a team official, or literally anybody in a position to know those things. Its purely fanboy people suggesting that he might not because he's barely played in a year and a half. I work with the information I have until that information changes. Seems like a pretty straight forward thought process. Not sure why people are so fearful to adopt it.

In reality, it kind of doesn't matter at this point. They added one tackle like we all said they would, and they'll likely add another, like we will said they would. The difference is whether you add one in the draft early, who also probably won't be able to play LT (because historically, they won't) either, or you add a developmental player to play RT if needed, which is what I think they'll do. I think either Moses or Mekari can be the backup LT at this point, and I don't think we'll do any better now or in the future in that spot.

As for Tackles playing Guard, sure, it happens all the time. Much of that is a product of the best lineman in college playing Tackle in college, as opposed to them not being natural interior lineman. Oline play in college is already bad enough, so the idea of them putting their best Olineman on any given team on the interior isn't realistic. In any given years there's Tackles coming out of college who were great and that universally won't translate into anything other than a high-end interior lineman in the NFL. There's a reason for that.

Historically, we do draft Tackles and convert them into Guards. They just don't come from first round picks, or even rarely high picks. The closest thing to it was KO like a decade ago. For a third or fourth round pick, sure, makes perfect sense. That's historically where we've gotten high end interior and RT play from anyway, which is where I think they'll be at come late April.

As far as criticizing others opinions, THAT'S the modern internet. The modern internet has nothing to do with sifting through opinions. It has everything to do with people expressing those opinions, being able to defend them when challenged, and supporting those opinions with basis, evidence, facts, etc. There's a moral obligation there.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Dude if we can nab a solid, durable, starting veteran RT and a top 5 safety, that would be amazing. I don’t think we have it in us though

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

I so wanted to #SIIE Marcus Williams but he'll be too expensive. Brother @JAAM mentioned Moses too. I literally LOLed at him in our DM. No chance we'll get either player unfortunately.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Fuck