• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You think hitting on a qb is not particularly harder than hitting other positions…

Yeah you’re right, end of discussion.
I do see where he coming from when i think about it. Its maybe hard to hit on an all pro qb but not one that can simply win you games…. but then again its less qbs to choose from than any other position so qbs may actually be harder

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
you said average - by average, i took it as an average starter at their position or better...

and the reason this doesnt work - by your own reasoning is this...

if you're thinking of Tua as the average QB then that makes it even harder to accomplish than just hit/miss - you're talking about a guy who you could argue has been a top 10-12 QB this year... which makes it even clearer that it's hard to find those sorts of players if there's only 10-12 of them at his level right now

and your last point barely makes sense as it is because teams dont frequently spend multiple 1st round picks in a row at QB because outside of the 1 time the Cardinals did it with Rosen and Murray, teams give their rookie at least 2 and normally 3 years to play to find out - at which point you dont have extra 1st rounders or all the extra players at other positions you put around your young QB are coming to the end of their contracts and you're window of success is ageing away - and your chance of finding a QB is no better the 2nd time around than it is the 1st time around - it's still ~30%

meanwhile the team with the QB that you traded away, is still in contention and now is starting to have 1st round picks again

and all of this still ignores the 6 other rounds of the draft

My benchmark was an average QB, who would make 40m per year, compared to finding a 20m talent at other positions. The reason for this metric is you have to find not one but 2 20m+ players in order to justify paying 1 QB and you have to do it with less picks. If that is the case then I have managed to have a better team AND I have an extra 1st from only having to pick one player AND I have extra firsts from trading my QB so basically I am far ahead in terms of roster strength. We have already seen that rookie deal QBs (and Tom Brady) are the cheat code to making it to and winning the Super Bowl. My argument is merely that it might be worth just trying to keep that cheat code going.

As for Tua 3 good games with a loaded roster that is carrying him does not make him good. If that were the case you would have put Baker Mayfield as a hit because he had 11 good games with a roster that carried him thus bumping up your QB hit number further.

Finally, in what universe, using your own metrics, do you round 37 down to 30?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
10-15 is not that bad. Granted I do not have a large sample size (only 6 and 2 are from 2021 so too early to judge) but you have: Watson, Mahomes, Rosen, and Haskins. So basically 2 bums and 2 all pros. I think Jones is actually a passable QB and I have no idea what to think of Fields beyond the fact that the Bears need an offensive line and some weapons and a RB and a coach so I cannot even be sure what I am looking at when I look at Fields except that I am really glad the Ravens have a good GM and good coaching.
if you think Jones is a passable QB and you can win with him, the the conversation ended right there.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
They would actually tell me that I am trying to do Grad Statistics despite only having an undergrad degree in Math so I might be punching outside of my weight class.

A binary classification though opens itself up to problems so ranking the players and by extension being able to go "if I draft a 1st round QB, or as @RavensMania suggests an upper first round QB, what is my expected return?" is a better solution.

If you want to bring things I am avoiding into it though I am desperately avoiding trying to factor in those additional picks because I do not want to have to bring in this scenario: "You are going to draft position a QB and then position A, B, C, or D. If your draft pick performs about level X then your next year draft pick will be at one of the other 3 positions but if not it will be at one of the original 4. If your QB performs at an average level then you can use your 2nd pick also at one of the remaining 3 but if not you draft a QB again. What is the probability that you hit on your QB and 1-2 other first round picks? Furthermore what is the probability that you are at more non QB successful picks than the team with only 2 first round picks? What is the expected difference between your success and their success?"

I can solve that problem using even the knowledge I had but it would be exhausting. The Miner Problem is terrible and would have to be worked in there and I just would rather focus on not having to do that along with a bunch of other calculations that on their own I could do but would take me about an hour to do.

Also the reason I focus on the first round is because you are not looking for a QB to be the guy in round 4. You are looking for backups at that point and anything more is gravy.
OK, but your last sentence is the point. You're comparing a group of players at one position and artificially limiting the scope of where they can be drafted, and then doing so at the other positions, thinking they're apples to apples. But, of course, they're not.

You don't need the first round "hit or miss" rate to be substantially equal between a Guard and a QB. You can find high level Guard play in other rounds, as many teams do. Frankly, that's extrapolated to basically any position that isn't QB.

Also, I've done Graduate-level Statistics courses. Nothing you're doing here would be acceptable in those environments. You could put together a model that would make numbers come out, but no person that studies Statistics or teaches them would advise you to draw literally any conclusions from it. Which, by the way, is kind of the point of Statistics.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
My benchmark was an average QB, who would make 40m per year, compared to finding a 20m talent at other positions. The reason for this metric is you have to find not one but 2 20m+ players in order to justify paying 1 QB and you have to do it with less picks. If that is the case then I have managed to have a better team AND I have an extra 1st from only having to pick one player AND I have extra firsts from trading my QB so basically I am far ahead in terms of roster strength. We have already seen that rookie deal QBs (and Tom Brady) are the cheat code to making it to and winning the Super Bowl. My argument is merely that it might be worth just trying to keep that cheat code going.

As for Tua 3 good games with a loaded roster that is carrying him does not make him good. If that were the case you would have put Baker Mayfield as a hit because he had 11 good games with a roster that carried him thus bumping up your QB hit number further.

Finally, in what universe, using your own metrics, do you round 37 down to 30?
1. Average QBs don't make $40M a year. If that's your benchmark, your benchmark sucks. You need to drop that amount down by at least $5-10M.
2. You haven't managed to have a better team until those players produce. Paying them lots of money doesn't mean they will. It may mean you're just giving out bigger contracts to players who aren't very good, because you have more money to spend (i.e. going all the way back to the point where cap space and draft picks doesn't correlate to guaranteed success, obviously).
You also can't presume to have a better team based on the fact that you have 1-2 additional high paid players. You don't know what the team that acquired your player has done, i.e. maybe they've drafted better than you, in which case they have the better team (and the better QB).
In order to remain confident in that, you'd need to a thorough assessment of FA spending and production, and then do another arbitrary "ranking" of hits or misses in FA. In reality, most of the highly paid players are going to be re-signed by their own team, so you won't have an opportunity to add them to yours anyway. In FA, the majority of the time, its just paying market value $ to players who aren't necessarily producing at those values, but because of limited supply for options, get market-value prices.
3. You can't assume you can trade the franchise QB because, again, if your model works, everybody mimics it, and then nobody pays top tier money to franchise QBs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can you imagine if the Patriots traded Tom Brady because they didn't want to pay him and just thought they could draft another player to lead the franchise and use the draft capital and extra cap space to draft more elite weapons in addition to signing top free agents. smh
It’s fucking hysterical how we’ve actually seen this shit play out and fail horribly yet people still clamor for it as if picking a qb in the draft automatically grants you a franchise qb

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Tell you what, if you think it is harder show it instead of making a post that looks like it has all the football knowledge of a low effort Twitter post (or average reddit post). It is not that hard really. You can find a list of 1st round picks by position and ranking them is, while subjective, not hard and even subjective it is not so bad. The average QB is Tua, the average WR is far worse, the average G is far worse, the average C is better, etc.

If you think that is wrong then by all means show it. It does not even take long since sites have positions categorized already (hence how I found the QB list in 5 minutes and had a list of quality in 10). Put up or shut up.
Wait who said anything about average QBs?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It’s fucking hysterical how we’ve actually seen this shit play out and fail horribly yet people still clamor for it as if picking a qb in the draft automatically grants you a franchise qb
The NFL at any given time WILL NOT have 32 franchise worthy quarterbacks. That number drops even further when you evaluate whether or not you can conceivably win a Super Bowl with that player.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The NFL at any given time WILL NOT have 32 franchise worthy quarterbacks. That number drops even further when you evaluate whether or not you can conceivably win a Super Bowl with that player.
Franchise qbs in the league right now are Lamar, allen, mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers, Brady, stafford, dak, russ, 3 of those guys could retire any year, one is far past his prime, that leaves 5 out of 9 current franchise qbs that are homegrown long term answers. the other qbs who are starting, the guys Adreme would call average, are not franchise qbs, a few of them may turn out to be, the vast majority won’t. And that’s where the problem lies, we were talking about trading an elite franchise qb for picks, and somewhere in the middle of the discussion he quietly lowers the bar to Daniel fucking jones and tua because then his argument can survive a few more posts if he can keep up the mental gymnastics.

Like I’ll talk and all but charts and statistics are definitely not a thing I’m good at nor am I gonna spend my time formulating an argument based on the metrics and standards this dude just pulled out of his ass

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I was talking with my dad who's a Niners fan about the Lamar contract situation. He's still a hesitant on the Ravens giving him a fully gtd contract. We were also discussing this very topic of how difficult it is to find a franchise QB as 49ers (@JAAM , I'm sure you can attest to this), Colts, Jets, and Commanders fans can relate.

Basically, I told him that I rather pay him that guaranteed contract, inevitably lose some players we can't pay, and draft their replacements rather than lose my franchise QB for a king's ransom of picks that may or may not pan out. He's slowly leaning towards my side.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Franchise qbs in the league right now are Lamar, allen, mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers, Brady, stafford, dak, russ, 3 of those guys could retire any year, one is far past his prime, that leaves 5 out of 9 current franchise qbs that are homegrown long term answers. the other qbs who are starting, the guys Adreme would call average, are not franchise qbs, a few of them may turn out to be, the vast majority won’t. And that’s where the problem lies, we were talking about trading an elite franchise qb for picks, and somewhere in the middle of the discussion he quietly lowers the bar to Daniel fucking jones and tua because then his argument can survive a few more posts if he can keep up the mental gymnastics.

Like I’ll talk and all but charts and statistics are definitely not a thing I’m good at nor am I gonna spend my time formulating an argument based on the metrics and standards this dude just pulled out of his ass
throw in the fact we could fire our coach and hire the next Sean McVay. Easy as pie.... Lets do it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The conversation ended for me when he said he didn't know what to think of Fields.

Fields is atrocious right now and the Bears flat out do not trust him to throw.
wasn't a huge fan of Fields coming out. I just didn't see anything special from Fields. I'm not sure what it is as @rossihunter2 had him as the best QB in the class. I've been rooting for him because I'd like to see that Ohio State QB jinx buried, because they have never had a good QB come out of that school, unless you think Art Schlichter was a good QB.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
if you think Jones is a passable QB and you can win with him, the the conversation ended right there.
You put Lamar on that team and you are thinking he is a good but not great QB who cannot get it done. How I know that is I saw them put Brady on that team and he looked done then the next year he looks elite again. That team is a mess. They have no offensive coaching, no weapons to speak of, and an average at best offensive line. I thought he looked better last year, where he actually had a decent year, but having a defensive coordinator calling plays will cause that because their plays make no sense.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The conversation ended for me when he said he didn't know what to think of Fields.

Fields is atrocious right now and the Bears flat out do not trust him to throw.

When a team gives you nothing it is hard for me to have an opinion on if you are something. Lawrence last year looked AWFUL, like if he did not have all the hype and you did not know he was the number 1 pick you would think he was a bust and the worst QB in the league. This year he looks great. A big part of that is they put pieces around him. Who is the Bears best offensive weapon? I do not think Fields is good but I do not want to say that when you surround a player with scrubs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You put Lamar on that team and you are thinking he is a good but not great QB who cannot get it done. How I know that is I saw them put Brady on that team and he looked done then the next year he looks elite again. That team is a mess. They have no offensive coaching, no weapons to speak of, and an average at best offensive line. I thought he looked better last year, where he actually had a decent year, but having a defensive coordinator calling plays will cause that because their plays make no sense.
Mac Jones is ok. I thought he was the most pro ready from last years QB class with a lower ceiling than Lance, but he will never be a franchise QB and the chances of winning with him aren't good either.

I thought you were talking about Daniel Jones.