• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yup. or if Mekari gets moved inside, James could be the swing tackle. Far to early to tell and it isn’t saving that much to cut him now. Don’t see why people already calling for us to cut James lol

not sure james is a swing - think he's probably RT only

also i would prefer mekari to be the 6th OL, swing tackle and 5 position backup - i dont want him starting inside tbh unless a starter's down

and absolutely no reason to get rid of james i dont think - he's the contingency for the contingency - if we draft a guy in day 1 or 2 at tackle then he's probably gone but if no one is quite in range when we pick in those first 2 days then we've still got 4 tackles we wouldnt mind playing at some point in 2022

rossihunter2

Staff Member
gonna be interested in the structure of the moses deal (and williams too of course)

my guess though is that between the 2 of them, the 1st year cap hit is still going to be less than 10m (or maybe right at 10m)... we've still got boykin we can cut/trade to free up more cap and marlon we can restructure and peters we can extend

still enough cap to make a big move for someone if we want - i know we're looking at eddie goldman, not sure what his market is gonna be like and what he's gonna be looking for - obviously we know that at least at some point we were looking at ZDS too

interestingly there's been no hint of interest in centers but the ravens work in the shadows anyway

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Same reason our defense was so effective against him when we had Ed. Brady never wanted to let the ball leave his hand until he was certain 20 wasn’t nearby, that extra second put Brady in a lot of sacks

hopefully williams can replicate that kind of impact for us

i still cant quite believe that the saints didnt do everything they could to keep him and that we found a way to get him (and not even reset the market in the process)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was also because they asked to be traded and we obliged. Pretty simple math there. We’re lauded as a franchise for that stuff because we do work with players.

True that, Bozeman could very well outperform his deal.

That’s a good point, and you know Bozeman knows our system and would be less time to study playbook and learn system.

I wouldn’t mind this if it’s a cheap deal like vet minimum or close to it.

True maybe I should’ve avoided Donald. But yeah, I am not a fan of Linderbaum for us.
I mean maybe. If Lamar asks to be traded I don't think we'll oblige. We don't just trade anybody who asks to.
For all we know, players ask to be traded all the time and we decline. It's just not made public.

Again, different circumstances. With OBJ, I'm not even sure he asked for a trade. He just made it clear, publicly, that he's a LT, which means he wouldn't sign an extension here. That basically forces the Ravens to get value for him now or just lose him for a mid-round comp pick later. That's not the same as a trade request.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
gonna be interested in the structure of the moses deal (and williams too of course)

my guess though is that between the 2 of them, the 1st year cap hit is still going to be less than 10m (or maybe right at 10m)... we've still got boykin we can cut/trade to free up more cap and marlon we can restructure and peters we can extend

still enough cap to make a big move for someone if we want - i know we're looking at eddie goldman, not sure what his market is gonna be like and what he's gonna be looking for - obviously we know that at least at some point we were looking at ZDS too

interestingly there's been no hint of interest in centers but the ravens work in the shadows anyway
I would imagine $10M combined for both, which should leave us with ~$5M.
The problem is we can't guarantee a Peters extension until it happens. Freeing up Boykin will happen, potentially today, and I would imagine a Marlon restructure would be a formality if we want somebody else of note. But I think there's really only room for one more "mid tier" signing, and I don't know if Tretter or Bozeman are going to be mid tier at this point.

Keep in mind also that I'm sure we'd like to bring Calais back. If we do, he's not playing for peanuts. My guess is he'll get at least $5-6M on a one year deal.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

That seems more realistic.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would imagine $10M combined for both, which should leave us with ~$5M.
The problem is we can't guarantee a Peters extension until it happens. Freeing up Boykin will happen, potentially today, and I would imagine a Marlon restructure would be a formality if we want somebody else of note. But I think there's really only room for one more "mid tier" signing, and I don't know if Tretter or Bozeman are going to be mid tier at this point.

Keep in mind also that I'm sure we'd like to bring Calais back. If we do, he's not playing for peanuts. My guess is he'll get at least $5-6M on a one year deal.

id imagine they do a 2 year deal that's really a 1 year deal with calais just to be able to lower the cap slightly with a bit of a bonus and with no guaranteed money in year 2 (or it only guarantees if he's still on the roster by the 5th day of the new league year in 2023 or something)

we've definitely got enough to go after someone bigger (if we want to) but the opportunity cost of such a move is that it becomes more difficult to keep someone like calais or add some more mid-tier guys like you say

but a marlon restructure in and of itself would be able to cover the year 1 cap hit of a big deal with any big-tier free agent we want to acquire as long as we're doing a 4-5 year deal

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We’ve crushed the tampering period so far, if we can retain Calais and Bozeman then we’ve done about as well as you could’ve ever hoped for early FA. I don’t even want ZDS anymore, get those 2 deals done and we’re going into the draft ready to draft whoever the hell we want.

But I swear to god if we go into the draft with TCC as the only center on the roster and we take linderbaum at 14 I’m gonna shit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We’ve crushed the tampering period so far, if we can retain Calais and Bozeman then we’ve done about as well as you could’ve ever hoped for early FA. I don’t even want ZDS anymore, get those 2 deals done and we’re going into the draft ready to draft whoever the hell we want.

But I swear to god if we go into the draft with TCC as the only center on the roster and we take linderbaum at 14 I’m gonna shit

if we take OL at 14 it'd better be because for some insane reason one of Cross, Ekwonu or Neal have fallen
especially after they've done so well to plug holes so far in free agency to not have to reach on a guy like penning or be forced into a non-scheme fit like Linderbaum

i still would like to see us try and add an EDGE even if it's not ZDS (maybe barnett or arden key or even justin houston back) just so that we can feel fine if/when we don't take an EDGE at 14 if/when Stingley is there lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if we take OL at 14 it'd better be because for some insane reason one of Cross, Ekwonu or Neal have fallen
especially after they've done so well to plug holes so far in free agency to not have to reach on a guy like penning or be forced into a non-scheme fit like Linderbaum

i still would like to see us try and add an EDGE even if it's not ZDS (maybe barnett or arden key or even justin houston back) just so that we can feel fine if/when we don't take an EDGE at 14 if/when Stingley is there lol
I have faith that we will find an edge solution at some point in the draft, whether it’s round 1 or later