• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
For me, I don't get the hate toward Z.

Yes, it absolutely sucks. Yes, I'm of the mindset that the money he would get is generational wealth on top of generational wealth he earned with the Packers and I'm not sure why I'd split hairs over generational money when I could win, but I digress.

For me, it boils down to this- we all knew this was a steal of a contract. Alternatively, the Ravens knew there were issues with Z's back.

If those issues persisted, the Ravens wouldn't hesitate to cut bait with Z. They'd save their money and their cap. On the flip side, Z should absolutely look out for himself, not the team. If he feels he needs to secure that last contract, by all means.

It does absolutely suck, but I'm tired of fans and the media being so pro-team when teams will do what's best for themselves, not the player. Players deserve to look out for themselves, too.
I mean, Ravens seem kind of pissed.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Fuck it, go after Danielle

Simba

Staff Member
Look, Baker is a dick and sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes it's a bad thing. But I can't believe that Browns' FO thought a guy that takes everything personally somehow wasn't going to take them looking at replacing him personally. They lost out on the replacement and thought everything would just be fine. I don't know what they were thinking.

A1A

Veteran

omg the browns are back in the dumpster lol

just spent the last few days making their QB look awful and basically tell him he's replaceable and then when he wants out just say no lol

yep they're gonna suck and that locker room is gonna be toxic as hell

Lol who they kidding? They'll trade him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Look, Baker is a dick and sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes it's a bad thing. But I can't believe that Browns' FO thought a guy that takes everything personally somehow wasn't going to take them looking at replacing him personally. They lost out on the replacement and thought everything would just be fine. I don't know what they were thinking.

you cant complain about not having an adult in the room and then expect him to not be somewhat petulant

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I will say this as well instead of replying to each individual person-

I blame the media, honestly, for the fan reaction.

The legal tampering period is not binding and it's akin to a handshake. People need to understand that, but the media should also wait until pen is to paper. Of course, in the media world where things have to come out ASAP, that won't happen.

Conversely, the Ravens had to see this coming. They tried to get a VERY team friendly deal and slip it in fast before Jones and Von signed. Those two signed sooner than the Ravens would have liked, but that's a risk you take when trying to offer such a lowball offer.

Reactions: cdp

Simba

Staff Member
you cant complain about not having an adult in the room and then expect him to not be somewhat petulant

I think the funny thing is that Baker is the first QB out of their 10000 that actually embraced the idea of being in Cleveland and making them a winning team again, and actually did that to some extent. Is he a long-term answer regardless of this situation? Probably not, but you took everything you had built in turning that organization around and basically just threw it away and are committing to restarting again.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
This is what I don't get.

Like, the Browns were very eager to talk shit and look for his replacement, but Baker can't be upset and want out?

"Hey, we are going to look for a better option because we don't want you Baker.... unless we can't find someone else. Then we love you!"

A1A

Veteran

ironically the rams were a team i thought would be in on ZDS after he backed out

but i guess the cowboys probably still are sitting there with their 13m/yr they tried to give to randy gregory and the jets probably cant wait to try and give him their money

Man I love McVay...

redrum52

Hall of Famer

omg the browns are back in the dumpster lol

just spent the last few days making their QB look awful and basically tell him he's replaceable and then when he wants out just say no lol

yep they're gonna suck and that locker room is gonna be toxic as hell

The funny thing is.... I don't think a lot of those players care either way. They're probably more upset they didn't get Watson. I would bet money some of them are in a group chat with odell laughing at Baker like we are.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I will say this as well instead of replying to each individual person-

I blame the media, honestly, for the fan reaction.

The legal tampering period is not binding and it's akin to a handshake. People need to understand that, but the media should also wait until pen is to paper. Of course, in the media world where things have to come out ASAP, that won't happen.

Conversely, the Ravens had to see this coming. They tried to get a VERY team friendly deal and slip it in fast before Jones and Von signed. Those two signed sooner than the Ravens would have liked, but that's a risk you take when trying to offer such a lowball offer.

that last bit i dont really buy - like ZDS and his agent are not stupid (or at least i dont think they are), i dont get how they could mess up their own perception of his value so badly... like no one in their right mind thought he would sign for less than 10m/yr and 11 or 12 probably seemed like the realistic low bar and he signed for less than 9m

i dont get how they misjudged that so badly - like it's not surprising that chandler jones and von miller got paid like top EDGEs in the league because they are - ZDS accepted a deal that that was like 30th in the league - i dont get what changed realistically

that's my only real confusion about this - not that he wants more money, but why they agreed to that figure in the first place

redrum52

Hall of Famer
that's so wholesome lol
but my word the replies and qts are awful lol - so many ravens fans acting like clowns

genuinely think we're acquiring one of the worst online fanbases in the NFL right now - we have elite comms and socials teams and an elite organisation and it's a vortex of negativity on every post on every platform
The new fans I've seen across social media are awful

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the funny thing is that Baker is the first QB out of their 10000 that actually embraced the idea of being in Cleveland and making them a winning team again, and actually did that to some extent. Is he a long-term answer regardless of this situation? Probably not, but you took everything you had built in turning that organization around and basically just threw it away and are committing to restarting again.

2 most important players in turning the browns around are now either gone or completely disillusioned

jarvis landry was massively instrumental in changing the culture inside that building by setting the standard and not accepting anyone not living up to that standard

and baker came in and energised the city and as you say embraced the browns and won them a playoff game - not saying he's the long-term option nor should they have thought he was but they've turned a spark of goodwill that helped turn them around into something sour

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The funny thing is.... I don't think a lot of those players care either way. They're probably more upset they didn't get Watson. I would bet money some of them are in a group chat with odell laughing at Baker like we are.

and if they are that's only gonna make that locker room even more toxic and that hard-won culture change they've been going through since 2018 is going to evaporate and they'll have the same issues that made them suck for 2 decades all over again