• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Jones light years above mad so imo its no way it can be a steal…well unless mad can be as disruptive as jones is then yea it could be a steal
It's like QBs (or most positions really). If you've got one of the ones that are worth really paying, just do it. It doesn't matter if they're the best or the 5th best - you pay the one you have access to, because you're not going to get anyone better (without giving up picks and a huge contract). They don't see the market.

People were arguing against paying Lamar because Mahomes is better - but we're never getting Mahomes. It's moot. I'd rather pay our young, ascending, star DT than get into a bidding war for a 30 yo.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I think we're a long ways off about talking about cutting Marlon. I'm not even sure why that's a topic at this point.
Keep in mind that, today, Lamar costs $11M more next year than he does this year. And that's before he gets restructured this offseason, which he will.
And every restructure you do this year, which there will be many, will result in larger cap hits next year. So while it's appealing, you can spend a lot of that $20M quickly on guys who are simply on the roster already. If Madubike gets an extension, he'll cost more. Hamilton and Linderbaum are both extension eligible in 2025. Oweh is likely to get his 5th year option picked up, meaning his cap hit will skyrocket in '25 unless he's extended before that.

Bottom line... there's players you can cut, but a lot of that $ is just going to be spent on players already on the roster.
Not saying Marlon is going to get cut but it is definitely a possibility if he plays at the same level next year, but that is a long way away.

I agree with your second point though there will always be core players that we need to pay $$$ to to keep but imo that’s a good problem to have because it means we’re drafting well and we need to continue to draft well or else we’ll be stuck overpaying C tier free agents

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It's like QBs (or most positions really). If you've got one of the ones that are worth really paying, just do it. It doesn't matter if they're the best or the 5th best - you pay the one you have access to, because you're not going to get anyone better (without giving up picks and a huge contract). They don't see the market.

People were arguing against paying Lamar because Mahomes is better - but we're never getting Mahomes. It's moot. I'd rather pay our young, ascending, star DT than get into a bidding war for a 30 yo.
Yea i agree!!! I was gonna type that i have to look at it from a qb prospective but my example wouldve been a little long lol but yea youre right about this!!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Not saying Marlon is going to get cut but it is definitely a possibility if he plays at the same level next year, but that is a long way away.

I agree with your second point though there will always be core players that we need to pay $$$ to to keep but imo that’s a good problem to have because it means we’re drafting well and we need to continue to draft well or else we’ll be stuck overpaying C tier free agents
I usually always criticize marlon but for some reason, i feel like he played pretty well this season? Idk if its because it was a quiet year for him or what but i only remember like one or 2x that i called him ass this season

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I usually always criticize marlon but for some reason, i feel like he played pretty well this season? Idk if its because it was a quiet year for him or what but i only remember like one or 2x that i called him ass this season

and probably both times were in that rams game where he just came back off injury and got beat by cooper kupp twice then dropped a game-sealing INT

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im so hyped about madubuike being here long term guys

he's been my guy since before we drafted him, to see him ascend each year and then finally explode last year was amazing, so excited that we get to keep him around for at least another 3 years

also cool that with a weak DL draft class that we now have Madubuike, Pierce, Washington and Jones all guaranteed to be together for at least 1 but likely 2 more years - really well-balanced group to work with

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
im so hyped about madubuike being here long term guys

he's been my guy since before we drafted him, to see him ascend each year and then finally explode last year was amazing, so excited that we get to keep him around for at least another 3 years

also cool that with a weak DL draft class that we now have Madubuike, Pierce, Washington and Jones all guaranteed to be together for at least 1 but likely 2 more years - really well-balanced group to work with
I'm glad they got it done too. For too long D-Line is a position they either strategically didn't resign young players or they simply allowed themselves to be priced out of the market. It was hard seeing Za'Darius Smith and others get poached in FA.

He’s still a top 10 CB, and when a CB is having a “quiet year” it usually means teams are throwing away from him. Probably lost a step or two but he’s still pretty good.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm glad they got it done too. For too long D-Line is a position they either strategically didn't resign young players or they simply allowed themselves to be priced out of the market. It was hard seeing Za'Darius Smith and others get poached in FA.

sure
but also we've not really had any IDL before this deserving of being paid who felt like a must-keep type of player

we've not had a guy with madubuike level disruption since haloti ngata

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the defensive core of this team is so exciting

all these guys are 27 years old or younger and contracted through at least 2025:
DL:
Madubuike
Roquan
Hamilton
Marlo
Marcus Williams

and then add in these guys who are already proven and also around through at least 2025 too:
Washington
Jones

it's a really strong group to build around and it doesnt even include odafe or stephens

if trenton simpson or david ojabo (or both) hit this year, then this defence continues to be in business for years to come

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Basically a 3 year deal in which they’ll likely restructure some of the money heading into year 3

Maybe. $33M isn't going to be some gigantic cap hit by '26. The salary cap could easily be $300M by then. Basically he'll have a similar cap hit that year compared to what Stanley has this year (if its not altered).

All depends on how he plays.

I also think there will be at least one void year in that deal, so I'm not sure this structure is final.