• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Fields is better than a few starters but quite a lot of NFL teams are still freaked out by QBs who can run. Just last year loads of teams, talking heads and fans were questioning whether Lamar would even be able to function away from Roman's system.

One MVP season later and they haven't learned anything and Fields' market is suffering for it. (Not saying he's anywhere close to Lamar.)
I think they all went off fantasy football numbers

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fields is better than a few starters but quite a lot of NFL teams are still freaked out by QBs who can run. Just last year loads of teams, talking heads and fans were questioning whether Lamar would even be able to function away from Roman's system.

One MVP season later and they haven't learned anything and Fields' market is suffering for it. (Not saying he's anywhere close to Lamar.)
Fields can't win big games, and he isn't going to get a team into the playoffs.

He isn't going to make a bad team competitive, and he isn't reliable enough to be a relatively cheap game manager for a decent team. He's a pure backup that the Bears are probably asking too much for.

I personally wouldn't even put Fields among the top 15 qbs right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

they've basically said - we werent gonna keep you with a 26m cap hit in 2025 (with 20m potential savings) anyway so we're just gonna remove that possibility now anyway - and now you get to be a free agent in 2025 rather than waiting for us to cut you...

idk why else ronnie would agree to this reworked deal unless they were truly willing to cut him in 2024

i think this makes it even clearer that OT is definitely on our minds this year in preparation for Ronnie's possible/probable departure in 2025

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think more that they were never going to keep him at 26m cap hit with a potential 20m in savings
would have had to redo the deal regardless of him being a free agent

but this definitely allows for a clean break in 2025 if desired by either party
Right but if he played great in '24, they could look to extend him. In this case, they've basically decided he's just not going to be on the roster next year, as opposed to making '24 more of a "prove it" year.

And it allows them to spread the cap hit for this year out more.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right but if he played great in '24, they could look to extend him. In this case, they've basically decided he's just not going to be on the roster next year, as opposed to making '24 more of a "prove it" year.

And it allows them to spread the cap hit for this year out more.

they've given up their leverage if he plays well
that's probably the compromise to get him to take a paycut and allow them to smooth the cap hit out in 2024

Simba

Staff Member
So basically, we’ll be looking for someone to take over LT asap. This year represents good value to do so, but isn’t absolutely necessary. Would guess they’re looking heavily at someone that can slot in elsewhere on the line for this year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

So if I read this correctly, it's a $4M base comp for this year, with $8.5M in playing time incentives, plus a shit load more of incentives.
So if he plays the whole season injury-free, he can earn $12.5M, which would be just a $2.5M paycut for him.

Today it's $9.6M in cap savings, but he could have more dead $ in '25.

Simba

Staff Member
So if I read this correctly, it's a $4M base comp for this year, with $8.5M in playing time incentives, plus a shit load more of incentives.
So if he plays the whole season injury-free, he can earn $12.5M, which would be just a $2.5M paycut for him.

Today it's $9.6M in cap savings, but he could have more dead $ in '25.
Added $1.5M in dead money to 2025 from the bonus proration, plus whatever cap impact based on the NLTBE incentives he earns. A put up or shut up move.