• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Oh my god I thought it said WE signed Ben Mason. My eyes skipped right past the chargers part
I was hella confused when I saw you wrote that at first hahaha

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Yea, so, the Texans are going to be an issue for a while

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I don't feel comfortable going into the season with Bate as our 2

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Holy shit

I'll be the one that says it... dude has the view of a locker room cancer. Not only did they trade him for what isn't a huge return, but it provides virtually no salary cap relief. And from what I'm reading from McFarland, it actually costs them more cap in short term to get rid of him than it does to keep him.
He's also 31 and making a good chunk of $ annually at this point.

It's a good get for the Texans, but not sure its the needle-mover people think it is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'll be the one that says it... dude has the view of a locker room cancer. Not only did they trade him for what isn't a huge return, but it provides virtually no salary cap relief. And from what I'm reading from McFarland, it actually costs them more cap in short term to get rid of him than it does to keep him.
He's also 31 and making a good chunk of $ annually at this point.

It's a good get for the Texans, but not sure its the needle-mover people think it is.

if it all stays rosey, they probably get the best possible version of diggs for 2024... who knows what they get beyond that
but for the texans it's a no-brainer and there's only 3.5m guaranteed beyond this 1 year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't feel comfortable going into the season with Bate as our 2

my guess is we're adding someone in R2 (or at least R3) to come in and add some young talent to this WR group
clearly the front office doesn't think they're set at the position or else they wouldn't have had gallup and reynolds come in for free agent visits - not sure who else is out there outside of DJ Chark

i think there's probably a few guys on Day 2 that the front office would happily add to this corps

that said, Bateman is going to have to be the number 2 on this offence and i dont think that's farfetched based on the talent and the route-running - the thing that was missing last year was reliability/trust/chemistry with Lamar

have to think EDC and the coaches think they can improve the connection between the two of them - and if they do then Bate's got the talent to be that guy for sure - at a certain point you have to trust in your guys to develop - this isnt a 2022 season situation where the cupboard is bare of talent behind the number 1 guy (when we had Bate as our presumptive number 1 and then a bunch of jags behind him)... we've got Zay who's legit, Nelly who's reliable as a WR3/4 and Bate who's talented but has lacked consistency and chemistry

would love to add one of these guys on day 2 if possible (being reasonable about who might be available):
ricky pearsall
ja'lynn polk
jermaine burton (if character questions check out)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
not sure that tweet on dead cap for the Bills over the next 4 seasons is correct and the tweet has also disappeared. Dead cap wouldn't be on the books for 4 seasons and those numbers were taken off of spotrac like he was on the roster.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
not sure that tweet on dead cap for the Bills over the next 4 seasons is correct and the tweet has also disappeared. Dead cap wouldn't be on the books for 4 seasons and those numbers were taken off of spotrac like he was on the roster.
I believe it looks like this. From cap perspective, Bills on the hook for:
3/5th of $21.5M signing bonus paid in 2022 (pro-rated for 5 years) = $12.9M
4/5th of $16M roster bonus paid in 2023 (pro-rated for 5 years) = $12.8M
4/5th of restructured signing bonus paid in 2023 (converted $6.75M of base salary into bonus, pro-rated for 5 years) = $5.4M
Add those up and you get to the ~$31.1M in dead $, that accelerates into '24.

Basically they paid him ~$49M in '22 and '23, and they only recognized ~$18M of it over that same period against the cap.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Going to be interesting to see how good Allen will be without him.

I have to think they will take a receiver now in the draft