• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Special Teams

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our special teams is always viewed as one of the best with coach Harbaugh and Roseburg leading the way. We have the best kicker in the league and one if the best punters in Tucker and Koch respectively. However, we have struggled in the return game for some reason.

The kickoff/punt coverage has been sucsebtible to the big play at times the past 2 years. The young guys would lose discipline at times and wouldnt maintain their gap. I have a big feeling this will change this year and Humphrey, Boykin? Bowser, and Correa will be big contributers to the coverage teams.

Humphrey was often used as the gunner in punt protection and as a R1 (Right sideline) on the kickoff coverage team. Per pro football focus, he made 4 stops and 1 assist on the kickoff team as a (RS)freshman. He also made that clutch onside kick catch. It may be a simple play but it was perfectly executed which takes discipline. His physicality and speed to get down the feild should be a major boon on kickoff and punt coverage.

Bowser said "special teams is a priority" when talking to Ozzie the night he got drafted. Correa has also seen the amount of importance our coaches stress out of our players and i think he gets it now after listening to him speak. Boykin now has had plenty of special team experience as well.

Now the question is who is our longtime returner. Moore and Reynolds look to are most likely to earn the kick and punt return jobs respectively but neither bring a wow factor. Tim white may have the most potential but he may not make the roster. This is our biggest question mark if we want to have the best special teams in the league.

If we manage to put it all together I think our special teams unit should be considered ELITE. If we can find an eliectric returner our special teams could have the impact to change the outcourse of games through returns, blocked kicks/punts, feild position, forced fumbles, and game winning feild goals.

Side note: If we dont find our longterm returner this year (which i dont think we will) then I want to pound the table for Christian Kirk from texas a&m. He would bring us a dynamic return and would contribute emensly on our offense as a slot guy.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I love how we emphasize special teams and of course it's not surprising since Harbaugh was a special teams coach, we have won several games over the years because of our ability to play special teams, but recently that is much more defensive than on the offensive side of the ball. I agree they are only going to get better. If Reynolds can hold onto the ball he has that ability to be an electric special returner and Moore although doesn't have that wow factor, he did make a few nice returns that we didn't capitalize on.

This is going to be a fun season.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I read good things on Reynolds so we will see if they are true or not. I am always cautious about a guy who has done nothing in the league and who looked bad when they first entered the league. To be fair to Reynolds, he changed his position so that's an expected learning curve so give him a break. I'd even give Moore a break because he came out of Cincinnati and that's not exactly division 1 ball. Even Antonio Brown had issues coming into the league and it took him a few years to come into his own.