• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Resolved Default Font

Serif or Sans-Serif Default? / Purple Text or White Text?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zevenate

Practice Squad
Really like the layout of this site, it looks nice and is easy to navigate. With that being said, the only thing I really have an issue with is the default font for comments. I feel like a sans serif default would look a lot nicer. Ofc there is the option to switch fonts but I feel like most of the time people wouldn't bother cause it'd be a mild inconvenience they wouldn't think of every time they made a comment.

Does anyone else agree or do most of you guys prefer a serif based font?

flynismo

Practice Squad
The fonts are nearly impossible to read in a lot of sections due to the lack of contrast. Get rid of that purple font color! Its bad when I'm viewing from a 4k monitor and it is still a blur.

Click on images below for before / after previews.

Here's how it looks now on the index page:

Just changing the font color to white makes a huge difference in readability:

Last edited:

supertolerator

Staff Member
Administrator
Really like the layout of this site, it looks nice and is easy to navigate. With that being said, the only thing I really have an issue with is the default font for comments. I feel like a sans serif default would look a lot nicer. Ofc there is the option to switch fonts but I feel like most of the time people wouldn't bother cause it'd be a mild inconvenience they wouldn't think of every time they made a comment.

Does anyone else agree or do most of you guys prefer a serif based font?
Personally, the default font does not bother me at all, but depending on the results of the poll or what others feel would be best, I can definitely change it.

The fonts are nearly impossible to read in a lot of sections due to the lack of contrast. Get rid of that purple font color! Its bad when I'm viewing from a 4k monitor and it is still a blur.

Click on images below for before / after previews.

Here's how it looks now on the index page:

Just changing the font color to white makes a huge difference in readability:

Well, considering that the two screenshots were taken with different dimensions, of course, one will look blurrier than the other. Even some whites in the first look blurrier when compared to the second. The purple doesn't bother me, as it doesn't bother some others, but I can definitely change it if requested. I will add this to the poll at the top of the post.

Be sure to all voice your opinions and vote on the poll! ^_^

flynismo

Practice Squad
Personally, the default font does not bother me at all, but depending on the results of the poll or what others feel would be best, I can definitely change it.

Well, considering that the two screenshots were taken with different dimensions, of course, one will look blurrier than the other. Even some whites in the first look blurrier when compared to the second. The purple doesn't bother me, as it doesn't bother some others, but I can definitely change it if requested. I will add this to the poll at the top of the post.

Be sure to all voice your opinions and vote on the poll! ^_^

They were both taken with the browser in full screen; exact same dimensions. Only the screenshot itself is a slightly different width, since I clipped the content from the screen, rather than all the empty space. It's blurry because there is very little contrast between the font color and surrounding background.

zevenate

Practice Squad
Yeah I definitely prefer the white as well. Considering there's only two responses so far maybe make an announcement so more people see it?

flynismo

Practice Squad
View attachment 3 View attachment 4
Not by much, but it can affect the resolution and the way it looks in the final picture.

Anyway, all good. I added the color changes to the poll. Be sure to vote ^_^

Like I said, it is different image sizes, but the web page itself was in full screen mode when both the images were taken.
I'd consider adding other (well tested) colors to the options as well; maybe gold?

supertolerator

Staff Member
Administrator
Just an update on this;
After reviewing the poll results, I have gone ahead and changed the default font to Arial. I agree that a sans-serif font does look cleaner.

I will be keeping the poll open for a while longer for the vote on the different colors for the text, as there are more options. Be sure to vote and leave your feedback!

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The purple text doesn't bother me as it does some. I love this dark background and the white font look along with other colors. It gives us the options for some individuality to our posting. But thanks for the few changes made already. Good stuff!

supertolerator

Staff Member
Administrator
I will be changing some of the purple fonts to white as per the poll results, later today! ^_^
[doublepost=1494878029,1494802025][/doublepost]The default font color is now a lighter is now a lighter gray rather than the purple that it used to be. I could not make it white due to conflicting CSS styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.