• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article What should we really expect during the preseason?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
It’s that time of the year again, the end of a glorious summer to bring about the best few months of the year: football season. Whether people are starting up their fantasy leagues, or doing the bare minimum by just casually supporting their team, several million people all over the country are very excited to see their team dominate, or are disappointed to see them get dominated. But before football season, we have the worst part: the preseason.

Yes, I hate the preseason. The hype men for all 32 teams will over emphasize the importance, but yet it seems like a mere way for the NFL(and professional sports in general) to profit. I’ve had several encounters with people who care too much about the preseason. For example, in 2014 all these San Francisco 49er fans said that this preseason game against us would be their “revenge,” that it would show how dominant they had become. We beat them and flashed little to nothing.

Sure, I am excited to see football again, but am not amused to see mostly backups play, teams play vanilla, and players potentially getting hurt. But even though these are exhibition games they serve one positive purpose for me: I get to see the rookies play. It is the only reason to care at all.

The hype men(for example Ryan Mink and Garret Downing) will push out some stupid and pointless questions that should be blatantly obvious from the start of the game. So let’s get a few of these questions that might come up out of the way.

Will Flacco play a series during the first preseason game?

-No. We should not expect to see Flacco until game three, which is the only preseason game that matters.

How much of the new scheme we are using on the offensive line should we expect to see?

-A decent amount but nothing too indicative. We need to be as unpredictable as possible for the regular season, and revealing your strategy during the pre-season is an idiotic move.

Will the Ravens still sign Kaepernick?

-No. His girlfriend ruined any chances for this to happen, and possibly cost him a job with the other 32 teams in the NFL as well for the time being. He should be employed somewhere, but honestly, if we have one more move elsewhere, it will be along the offensive line.

Who are the best young players to watch this upcoming preseason?

-The rookies, those who are healthy anyway. Most fans will be anxious to see Humphrey, Bowser, and Tim Williams, as they were the flashy picks between our first four. But even then, I’d be wary. Remember, Matt Elam also played relatively well during the preseason last year.

So, instead, I would like to purpose a series of better questions that the hype men and women would not usually ask. I will also be providing answers. Remember, there are no right or wrong answers, this is preseason.

We have brought in several players this offseason on the defensive side of the ball who is capable of playing in multiple spots(Marlon Humphrey, Tyus Bowser, Tony Jefferson, retaining Ladarius Webb) within the defense(notice how I didn’t say positions. There is a difference), what is the likelihood that we see a few drives where we experiment within the first three preseason games?

-I am hoping that we have a few drives where we see Tyus Bowser switch between the inside linebacker and outside linebacker positions. I also want to see Marlon Humphrey play slot corner to see if he can, but also switch between that and outside corner. I hope we also see a package where Tony Jefferson moves to ILB and Webb goes up to FS.

The running back competition has flown a tad under the radar given the Colin Kaepernick talk. I think that Terrence West and Javorious Allen have flashed a good amount of talent in the past. When we do run plays in our new scheme, how much improvement if any, should we expect to see from both?

-Even with Dixon’s injury, I like both Allen and West. I think Allen is a good #2 running back who is a good runner, and a really good pass catcher who could become a security blanket. I also think having a savvy veteran like Woodhead around will do wonders for Allen, especially as a receiver out of the backfield. West has the potential to be a number one back, and a very good one in a downhill, power scheme. He has good vision and was responsible for most of his yardage last season as the offensive line was not good at run blocking. He also improved as a receiver out of the backfield last season. Overall: I think both do a very good job in the new scheme, but next offseason it would not hurt to look at other options. Unless you have a superstar at running back, it has become one of the most replaceable positions in the NFL.

There are players in the preseason who display a noticeable amount of improvement(Paul Kruger is my favorite example from several years ago) in the preseason that did not flash much potential beforehand. Among the non-rookies who do we expect to break out?

-My picks for breakout players should not surprise anyone: Maxx Williams, Nick Boyle, and Matt Judon. I think there is a good possibility that both tight ends play very well in the preseason with improved games and both move up into the two starting positions. Judon has had another offseason in the NFL and looked good as a pass rusher last season. With another year of experience under his belt, I fully expect him to look better than the previous preseason, where he was fantastic.

The Ravens could, via restructuring contracts, make another move in free agency. What do we all think the move could be?

-As stated previously, I think that it is possible that we could make another move. I would hope for it to be along the offensive line. Say what you want about John Urschel, but he was a good backup, and I was expecting Siragusa to overtake the starting position this season. I will hope that if we have another move in us, which we would strongly consider looking at Austin Pasztor, Nick Mangold. If we were to look elsewhere position wise, I would hope for us to look at Barnidge, and Sam Shields among others.

Overall: I don’t expect us to do much this preseason. I fully hope that we suffer no injuries(*knock on wood*).

Thank you all for reading, I will be posting a lot more articles once the season, and the draft season starts. This will include weekly articles post-regular season games about my thoughts, opinions, or whatever.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Cool stuff man. I'd say it's better than BR.com but not sure it would be a compliment.

Correa as my improved guy. Not saying he's going to get 2 picks and 4 sacks, but I like him as an agressive pairing for CJ. Will be around the ball.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dont think we should overreact to the preseason but it can show some things if you know what you are looking for.

Everyone will be running basoc schemes but you can still see if there is improved technique from the offseason. Basically did they improve footwork, routes, etc. The score and performance doesn't matter but those things do.