• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

30for30 : Baltimore Boys

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Did anyone catch the ESPN 30 for 30 Dcoumentary - Baltimore Boys - last night at 8pm?

It highlighted the lives and rise of the Dunbar Poets basketball team during the early 80's ('82 and '83 specifically) that included Muggsy Bogues, Reggie Lewis, Reggie Williams, Dave Wingate, among others (total of 11 D1 scholarship players).

They were so good that Reggie Lewis who became a college star, 1st round draft pick, NBA All Star, and Celtics captain - was the Poets 6th man. Couldn't get into the starting lineup.

If you're a Baltimore native, basketball fan, like 30 for 30, or just generally like good documentaries and story-telling - I highly recommend checking it out.

My grandfather was a teacher at Dunbar during this team, and it was a pleasure to be able to watch it with him as all the memories came flooding back. Seeing his former students, colleagues, etc... and as a grandson seeing this story unravel and realizing that my grandpa was there through it all --- really cool experience.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did anyone catch the ESPN 30 for 30 Dcoumentary - Baltimore Boys - last night at 8pm?

It highlighted the lives and rise of the Dunbar Poets basketball team during the early 80's ('82 and '83 specifically) that included Muggsy Bogues, Reggie Lewis, Reggie Williams, Dave Wingate, among others (total of 11 D1 scholarship players).

They were so good that Reggie Lewis who became a college star, 1st round draft pick, NBA All Star, and Celtics captain - was the Poets 6th man. Couldn't get into the starting lineup.

If you're a Baltimore native, basketball fan, like 30 for 30, or just generally like good documentaries and story-telling - I highly recommend checking it out.

My grandfather was a teacher at Dunbar during this team, and it was a pleasure to be able to watch it with him as all the memories came flooding back. Seeing his former students, colleagues, etc... and as a grandson seeing this story unravel and realizing that my grandpa was there through it all --- really cool experience.
A terrific film. Very soulful, honest and touching account of these athletes growing up in and coming out of Baltimore.
Was it a 30 for 30? I didn't see it listed as such.

An interesting side note is that the Calvert Hall basketball team during basically that same stretch was also undefeated and actually was the team that held a number one national ranking over Dunbar.

The two met only once, with Calvert Hall winning by one point in triple over time. A lot of the Calvert Hall team were recruits from......East Baltimore.

There is clearly an incredible legacy attached to basketball and our city. Pretty cool.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
The 30 for 30 documentary on Dunbar basketball was very good. They went undefeated for two seasons winning 59 straight games. I think it was in the 1987 ( not sure of the year ) NBA draft that three members of that 1983 team were selected in the first round . That Dunbar team may be the best high school team ever.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
A terrific film. Very soulful, honest and touching account of these athletes growing up in and coming out of Baltimore.
Was it a 30 for 30? I didn't see it listed as such.

An interesting side note is that the Calvert Hall basketball team during basically that same stretch was also undefeated and actually was the team that held a number one national ranking over Dunbar.

The two met only once, with Calvert Hall winning by one point in triple over time. A lot of the Calvert Hall team were recruits from......East Baltimore.

There is clearly an incredible legacy attached to basketball and our city. Pretty cool.
Dunbar held the #1 national ranking in 1983, and pretty sure went undefeated both the '81-'82 and '82-'83 seasons, so couldnt have lost to Calvert during that time, which is the team the film focused on.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
https://www.si.com/vault/1982/02/08/564721/two-kings-of-the-same-hill
It appears from this article that Calvert Hall defeated Dunbar in '81 and consequently held a number one ranking through '82 .
Both great teams obviously.
Yea i think the confusion is semantics of how the season or year is conveyed. Pretty sure we're both correct in what we're saying, just using a different season identifier so that it seems like they contradict.

Since bball is a winter sport, i think the game youre talking about was the '80-'81 school year or 81 season as some would call it if it took place in January or later.

Dunbar wasn't well known at all even in their 1st undefeated season - the '81-'82 school year or '82 season... but in the '83 season the coach started scheduling games against more traditional national powerhouses to get his team the recognition they deserved. Playing teams like Dematha...

So it wasn't until that final season of the core group being together that they finally got that #1 National ranking ('82-'83 school year, '83 bball season).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Although I didn't catch it I'd like to see it. I'm from dc area and enjoy all the local stories and that includes Baltimore of course. Most of the 30 for 30s are very well done.