• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Timmy Williams vs Von Miller

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I'm not saying compare him to the veteran all pro Super Bowl MVP Vonnie. But coming outa college how does he stack?? Is he comparable?? What ways is Von Miller better and by how much? In what ways is he as good or maybe even better. His burst and bend is rare but is it really Von miller territory?? I have my opinions. Wanna see some different ones to compare if I'm seeing things and overrating the local dude. And if not for off field drama. How high could Timmy have gone?? Take the 270lb freak outa this draft and is a squeaky clean Timmy Williams a definite top 5 pick??

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I don't think Timmy Williams ever reached the "athletic freak" label like Von Miller did, plus I think I remember Miller having more experience in space and being lauded for his instincts.

I'm not sure if Timmy Williams would have been a top 5 pick without the off-field stuff. My guess would be that he would have been a Round 1 guy (15-25) probably not top 5 though.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I look at it this way, Mixon and Conley (albeit dropped) went before Williams with worst offenses so I'm not sure he would've come close to cracking the top 5.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He wasn't a top 5 by any stretch of imagination but in 2-3 years time he may easily turn out the best player from '17 class.
There are 31 teams that will be very sorry for skipping him, quite a few of them twice.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I considered him a top 20 talent and 3rd edge rusher in the class. I thought Garrett was horribly overrated to begin with, #1 overall talent in many classes for sure but not the generational sure fire guy so many seemed to think.

Von miller I don't think is a great comparison to begin with. Williams is very obviously heavier on his feet, Von miller has ballerina feet. Also I think coming out tim is drastically more powerful with better hand usage, similar bend, but miller looked like more of a LB than pure edge rusher, he was clearly a more well rounded player with better burst and agility and it wasn't really close.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Had him as a top 15 pick since September. Talked to @Truth about him to try and get a second opinion. I liked him a ton. But he ain't Von Miller. Not the same kind of monster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Everson griffen is a better comparison for Tim Williams, if he bulks up a little and his run defense could be on par with his then I think he's probably the best comp

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree with the majority.
I will say however that Williams will prove that like Miller he can take over a game late coming off the edge.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Comparison Level =
logo.png

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Disappointed...
he looked overweight and slow and confused. He never wanted to challenge the outside, he wasn't winning off the snap and cut inside seemingly every time, despite the inside being a cluster of players and no gaps.

He needs to use that bend that he used so well at Alabama. Push the edge deep THEN make your move inside. He just gave up on the edge rush so quickly. It was weird, he looked NOTHING like himself

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
Disappointed...
he looked overweight and slow and confused. He never wanted to challenge the outside, he wasn't winning off the snap and cut inside seemingly every time, despite the inside being a cluster of players and no gaps.

He needs to use that bend that he used so well at Alabama. Push the edge deep THEN make your move inside. He just gave up on the edge rush so quickly. It was weird, he looked NOTHING like himself

You are right he did look confused tonight. Hopefully the mental aspect of the game will click for him soon.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Disappointed...

Just one preseason game and he's a rookie. He'll be fine. Looks like Judon and Bowser are more than capable of picking up the slack

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just one preseason game and he's a rookie. He'll be fine. Looks like Judon and Bowser are more than capable of picking up the slack
Yeah I won't freak out because it's not like he was out there doing what he does best and still playing bad, he wasn't missing tackles and falling down, he just didn't look like himself.

But I do worry that he didn't look nearly as explosive as I'm used to seeing from him. If he can get that first step going again, and he does what he does best, which is threaten the edge on every snap and THEN work inside, then he'll be fine, but really his tendency to cut inside way too early was what killed his performance. He also did the takk McKinley thing, engaged an OT and did nothing to disengage, another head scratcher considering he disengaged so well in college.

I think it's very possible that he had to shake off some nerves this week, he looked very unsure of himself and tried to be overly fundamental and safe.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Disappointed...

I have a feeling that was by design.

Either they wanted him to work specifically on one thing... like they know he can win outside with burst/bend/speed bc hes doing in practice against our starters, so no need to see him do it against their 3rd stringers. Work on your weakness type deal.

He also seemed almost entirely consumed with not losing the edge in the event of a run to his side.... which i think slowed him down the rest of the game.

With that 3rd unit he played like a starting, 3 down player.... which hes never done in meaningful football and wont do for us this season especially. I have a feeling that they already know he can come in on 3rd down and get after it; so no need to really put reps toward that and put it on film. But thats all hes gonna have to do for us in the regular season.

Not worried a bit.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I have a feeling that was by design.

Either they wanted him to work specifically on one thing... like they know he can win outside with burst/bend/speed bc hes doing in practice against our starters, so no need to see him do it against their 3rd stringers. Work on your weakness type deal.

He also seemed almost entirely consumed with not losing the edge in the event of a run to his side.... which i think slowed him down the rest of the game.

With that 3rd unit he played like a starting, 3 down player.... which hes never done in meaningful football and wont do for us this season especially. I have a feeling that they already know he can come in on 3rd down and get after it; so no need to really put reps toward that and put it on film. But thats all hes gonna have to do for us in the regular season.

Not worried a bit.
Agree. Smart teams have players work on their weeknesses during preseason. Putting their strengths on tape only sends a signal to the other team to prepare for the player.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Team desires him to be a complete outside linebacker and stay on the field. He's wearing more hats than he's accustomed to wearing and it's a bit slowing for him just now.

It may take him a bit but I'm not worried. Hopefully he's allowed "see quarterback, get quarterback" role on passing downs and in situations where we are closing the door on teams late.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Team desires him to be a complete outside linebacker and stay on the field. He's wearing more hats than he's accustomed to wearing and it's a bit slowing for him just now.

It may take him a bit but I'm not worried. Hopefully he's allowed "see quarterback, get quarterback" role on passing downs and in situations where we are closing the door on teams late.
I agree. This part of the game could take him some time to adjust to. However as you said. If we let him pin his ears back late in games and rush the qb we should be fine and in time he will be a complete player.