• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article What Are the Expectations for the 2017 Baltimore Ravens?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Every year, we hear teams get routinely hyped up by their own fans and by the media that covers the team. Every year, teams will surprise or disappoint based on expectations from the national media or the fans of said team. This year, the Baltimore Ravens are not an exception to the rule.

After the draft and free agency concluded, the Ravens defense walked away looking like winner with the new additions of Marlon Humphrey, Tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, and Chris Wormely in the first three rounds and Tony Jefferson and Brandon Carr in free agency. After the draft and free agency, many were left with too many questions about the offense. Sure, the additions of Danny Woodhead and Jeremy Maclin gave Joe Flacco too reliable targets, but the lack of a meaningful addition along the offensive line left many uneasy when it was announced that James Hurst was taking the majority of the first team reps at right tackle.

Fast forward into training camp, and there may be more questions and concerns than many Ravens fans would like to admit. With key losses across the team in the form of Tavon Young, Maurice Canady, Crockett Gilmore, Dennis Pitta, John Urschel, Nico Siragusa , and Kenneth Dixon. Some of the losses, like Gilmore, Pitta, Urschel, and Siragusa, should be easy to stomach and manage because they were not expected to make big contributions to the team to begin with. However, the losses of Dixon, Canady, and Young especially, will be felt. Dixon was expected to challenge for the starting running backs job, Young was expected to take over the starting slot cornerback role, and Canady was expected to take over for Young when Young tore his ACL.

There still remains a sense of optimism around the Ravens fans despite the losses, but questions still remain that should leave fans feeling uneasy. Can Breshad Perriman take the next step and turn into the second wide receiver the Ravens have drafted to go over 1000 yards? Can Alex Lewis take the next step as a run blocker in a more gap/man centered blocking scheme? Will the newly acquired Austin Howard bounce back from his injuries the previous year and be able to fill in at right tackle? Will Ryan Jensen turn into the next Matt Birk at center for the Ravens or will he be the next Gino Gradkowski? Who will man the slot cornerback duties for the Ravens? Will Brandon Carr be a serviceable cornerback for the Ravens or will he continue to show his age and decline and revert back to a 2015 Brandon Carr? Can Kamalei Correa take the next step and become the next Ravens’ gem at inside linebacker? Will Joe Flacco fix his footwork?

Yes, I will admit there is plenty to be optimistic about. The Ravens landed a top 15 talent in Tim Williams in the third round, proving to be one of the biggest steals of the draft alongside Reuben Foster. Marlon Humphrey has turned in some very dominant performances in camp to ease concerns over what happens if Brandon Carr struggles. Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson look like the next big thing at safety for the Ravens. Danny Woodhead has shown no lingering effects from his ACL tear a season ago and looks like he will be a dominant force out of the backfield as a pass catcher.

So, with all of this in mind, what are the expectations for the 2017 Baltimore Ravens? What is the best and worst-case scenario for the upcoming season? What can the Baltimore Ravens become, for better or for worse?

As a best case scenario, I think we might see one of the most well balanced Ravens teams in Baltimore history, even better than the 2006 team. If Austin Howard and Ryan Jensen can prove to just simply be serviceable, Joe Flacco has weapons across the board to sling passes across the field. An offensive line that shows marked improvement could also bolster the confidence that Flacco has in himself and help him regain his confidence in his footwork. This could be the best offense that the Ravens have ever had with a balanced attack from a very underrated Terrence West as a runner and a passing game that could be better than any the Ravens have ever had, including the one seen during the 2014 season.

Defensively, this defense should be absolutely terrifying. All signs point to Matthew Judon having taken the next step and a pass rush featuring Judon, Williams, Brandon Williams, and Terrell Suggs should keep quarterbacks and offensive lines restless. On the backside of the defense, the newly acquired Jefferson should help pair with CJ Mosley to keep tight ends and running backs in check and the trio of Jimmy Smith, Carr, and Humphrey should provide excellent coverage to allow Weddle’s instincts to take over and allow him to be a much bigger play maker than he was even last season, which is really saying something.

If everything pans out for the team, we could be looking at true Super Bowl contenders. Defensively, there isn’t an offense in the NFL that could keep the Ravens in check if they’re firing on all cylinders. This defense has Houston Texans, Seattle Seahawks, and Denver Broncos potential. Offensively, we’ve seen quarterbacks like Matt Ryan and Tom Brady take the next step late in their career and with a bevy of weapons, this might be the year that Joe Flacco can put up one of the truly elite offenses in the NFL for the Ravens.

However, what does the team look like if not everything clicks? Defensively, the Ravens are relying on a lot of rookies. It is entirely possible that Marlon Humphrey, like most rookie cornerbacks, struggles and has a tough transition in his first year. Brandon Carr, another year older, turns in a performance like 2015 where he was routinely roasted. Terrell Suggs, also another year older, finally hits a wall and is no longer the dominant HOF-worthy force Ravens are used to seeing. Matthew Judon shows that he was not actually taking the next step, but was the beneficiary of opportunity after Elvis Dumervil was released to allow him the fast track to the starting role. On the defensive line, Williams fails to live up to his massive contract and registers no sacks and is invisible as a pass rusher in his new defensive tackle role.

Offensively, Lewis shows no improvement as a run blocker, Howard shows that last year was no fluke, and Jensen proves to be another Gradkowski. With no offensive line to speak of, West is unable to find running room and the offense is forced to turn to Joe Flacco heavily, like the 2013 season. With the increased pressure (from the opposing defense and his own team), Flacco cracks. He is unable to improve his footwork and looks like a mess, much like the 2016 season, and this leads to another 2013 season where he threw more interceptions than touchdowns and finished with a career high in turnovers. The talents of Perriman, Mike Wallace, and Maclin are thrown to waste and Wallace leaves disgruntled in free agency following the season, setting the Ravens back again in the receiving department.

Which of the two Ravens will show up? The ones that defy expectations or the ones that live up to their 28th spot in Elliot Harrison’s power rankings? If I were to make an educated guess and take a swing out of what I expect for the upcoming season, I fully expect this Ravens team to be a playoff contender and an eventual Super Bowl contender. With a fairly favorable schedule to open up the season, it’s entirely possible we see the Ravens start 3-0 and allow the new acquisition much needed time to gel with the offense before taking on the first big threat of the season in the Pittsburgh Steelers… in Baltimore, which has its own added benefits.

I would fully expect to see a double digit wins team with the potential to win up to 13 games. The only losses that I could see definitely happening are against the Tennessee Titans, Green Bay Packers in Lambeu, the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and the Oakland Raiders in Oakland. Even then, the Ravens are a much more experienced team than the Titans and the Ravens will be coming off of a bye-week ahead of the match-up with the Packers. Every other game has major win potential, in my opinion, for the Ravens.

Individually, I am going to go extremely bold and say that I expect 1,000 yard seasons from Perriman and West. I expect Joe Flacco to cross 4,000 yards for the second straight year and cross 30 touchdowns for the first time in his career, all while limiting his interceptions to below 15. Defensively, I will again go bold and say that I expect Tim Williams, Brandon Williams, and Matt Judon to combine for at least 15 sacks as a group. On the backend, we will say Humphrey, Jefferson, and Smith, three players not known to be ballhawks, combine for at least 10 interceptions.

In my opinion, we might be looking at what could become one of the strongest Ravens teams in Baltimore history.

Last edited:

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking the Ravens could be anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6, depending on how certain aspects of the team come together.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'm thinking the Ravens could be anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6, depending on how certain aspects of the team come together.
If they completely flounder, I could see them finish with a losing record, failing to overcome the curse of the Bengals, going 1-3 against the NFC North, losing both to Pittsburgh, dropping it against the Texans, Titans, and Raiders.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
If they completely flounder, I could see them finish with a losing record, failing to overcome the curse of the Bengals, going 1-3 against the NFC North, losing both to Pittsburgh, dropping it against the Texans, Titans, and Raiders.
Yeah, I could see that happening too. I have loose expectations for this season.

RavensDFan

Veteran
The biggest key is Flacco right now given how poorly Mallet played (and you know the FO will keep Mallet as the back-up for his "veteran" experience). Will Flacco be able to get at least one pre-season game under his belt? Because after his injury I think we learned a rusty Flacco can be pretty bad.

The defense looked pretty disciplined and cohesive for this early on so fingers crossed they keep it up. A strong D can cover a lot of ills, we know this already.

There are too many heads that could roll if we tank this season as badly as suggested above. I just don't see it happening. I think we'll be in the hunt into the final push. I don't know that we're quite there yet as far as making the playoffs again this season though.

Edit: If we do, from there anything is possible. Playoff Joe can be amazing.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Very well written. I see the team winning 10 games this season if the oline holds up

RavensDFan

Veteran
Flacco not playing in preseason but back to practice. Not sure no play in the preseason bodes well for our early outings.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Flacco not playing in preseason but back to practice. Not sure no play in the preseason bodes well for our early outings.

Well, the great thing is that the early schedule is pretty forgiving.

Not playing in the preseason shouldn't carry into the season as long as Flacco practices. However when a player doesn't practice during the preseason and then plays in game one, no matter the forgiving conditions, that player would be rusty. Glad Flacco is back at practice soon.

Last edited:

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
I never really cared for what sports media has to say, but I would be lying if I said the media loving the Steelers so much didn't irk me a little bit. I don't think this is a runaway division like most of the media has portrayed it to be and I don't think the Ravens will be fighting for just the wild card by week 17, but also 1st place in the division.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I never really cared for what sports media has to say, but I would be lying if I said the media loving the Steelers so much didn't irk me a little bit. I don't think this is a runaway division like most of the media has portrayed it to be and I don't think the Ravens will be fighting for just the wild card by week 17, but also 1st place in the division.
I think that is why I hate the Steelers recently more than anything. They talk up how bad Flacco played last season but if people didn't realize Flacco improved as the season went on and he was coming off of a destroyed knee. Then Roethlisberger goes out and completely flops with a top-3 running back and a top-3 wide receiver in the league as well as one of the better o-lines that have been together forever.

I really think the Bengals take a step back unless AJ Green plays 16 games. There is no way that offense is moving the ball anywhere with 2 pro bowl guards out the door unless AJ Green makes big plays and has a great year (I think he is one of the best receivers in the league and I actually would take him over Brown and Beckham Jr. talent wise). That defense also is getting older and not really adding anyone I feel like. Andy Dalton already got sacked 41 times last season and hit a bunch more, and losing those two guards will not help their situation. I do like the Mixon and Ross signings but do they have enough to open up holes for that dangerous trio of running backs?

In my opinion I think this is the year the Browns start showing all this young youth this team has accumulated over the past couple years. I think they have a chance on going on a hot streak and winning 6-7 games and get people talking about them. Some will hype them up the following season and say they are ready for a playoff run but I think it will be another 2-3 years.

Teams are definitely sleeping on the Ravens but they have reason to. Flacco's injury is big but I do not think it is as big as people make it out to be. I think the offense needs to prove it as well. But that offense looked better than I thought it would with only 2 starters on the o-line; no Perriman, Wallace, or Maclin; no Danny Woodhead; or no Joe Flacco against the Redskins starters. I definitely can see them falling anywhere from 6-11 wins as a team and I think the media just needs to see more of them.

But I do hate the Steelers hype every year. Same with the Cowboys.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
From the tone of those articles though it felt a lot like spin to be honest - we were told 3-6 weeks, then a week and now it's been a month
I think a lot of it is precautionary, but it could be.

Here's the article: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...y-Week-1/72125397-1115-4c6e-b7da-60f52e09ed6b

It doesn't say anything about him practicing right now (and I think he sat out today), but he's expected to be back. Whether it actually happens is another thing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think a lot of it is precautionary, but it could be.

Here's the article: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...y-Week-1/72125397-1115-4c6e-b7da-60f52e09ed6b

It doesn't say anything about him practicing right now (and I think he sat out today), but he's expected to be back. Whether it actually happens is another thing.

lol the facts in that article are a little sketchy lol - they say he's been sidelined for 2 weeks but he reported the injury on the 21st of July but it happened before then and that's over 3 weeks ago

But anyway that's all by the by - I didn't see anything in that article to indicate he would be back soon beyond hope

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
lol the facts in that article are a little sketchy lol - they say he's been sidelined for 2 weeks but he reported the injury on the 21st of July but it happened before then and that's over 3 weeks ago

But anyway that's all by the by - I didn't see anything in that article to indicate he would be back soon beyond hope
Goes back to the Mink being medicore debate.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
My optimistic and fantastic side tells me we'll win 13 games this year! My alter ego - the realistic side tells me we'll win 9 games and back door ourselves into the playoffs.