• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General TE Thread

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
With us retaining Marty and adding on Roman, what should we expect from Maxx this season if he can stay healthy? How do you think Marty will use him to get the most out of him?

Also, do you think that Waller is the odd man out or transitions back to WR? I like the idea of keeping Watson but I question whether the $3M we can save can be better utilized elsewhere. I don't see us carrying 5 TE's even if the idea is that Boyle assumes that FB type role.

What are your thoughts?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If Max can play and get in game shape he should be an above average TE at least. He has a rep of being lazy and coasting on his immense natural skills. It has to be frustrating for Harbaugh.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know if I can put my trust in Maxx. I think Gilmore, if he stays healthy, could be a very good #1 TE as he is an excellent blocker and a freaking tank of a man who looked to be developing into a better receiving TE as well. I really like Wallers upside, I hope we keep him. Boyle is just an all around solid TE, and I really wish Watson could've played last year, but I see no room for him on this team, especially with Pitta being retained.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Love your avatar!

I can't really call it with maxx though. He's a strange case. He could be a legit 70-80 catch a year TE, he could be an unstoppable force in the red zone. But he has to get there first and idk if he can. Scouting reports said he had a garbage self centered attitude and that he felt he could coast on talent, his showing up out of shape and fat speaks volumes when your scouting reports mention work ethic as a problem.

He needs to slim down. He needs to stay healthy, and he needs to sharpen his routes. As far as catching the ball he is a sight to see, and when he has the ball in his hands he is a dense and powerful guy who can really plow though tackles, and he surprises you with his leaps as well, it's not consistent but he really gets up sometimes.

He boxes out and high points the ball damn good. He has vice grips and if his hands are on that ball nobody is jarring it loose. He is extremely fluid and smooth for a guy his size, he changes directions surprisingly well but doesn't do it sharp enough. But he has a lot of tools to be a special receiving TE, and before he injury he was rocking defenders into oblivion as an inline blocker, so he's developing well there.

I like Boyle to take juices spot, I think he's actually the same skill set but a big upgrade. He's got great hands and runs better routes than juice, and is far more physical and technical a blocker. I don't like Waller, his hands are very suspect and his body control is nonexistent, which is weird because he had those things in spades in college. Crockett is gonna keep getting hurt I think, he is so reckless with his body, and he has sure hands but not strong hands, if he is gonna try to use that length and height then he needs to work on securing that ball on high points in coverage, we lost 2 games because he let a safety pry the ball away in the end zone. Can't have that.

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
Max Williams, Crockett Gillimore, and Nick Boyle is a solid group, they could be the future when Pitta is done.
Darren Waller should just go back to WR, he cant block at all.

Seems like there's trend with the Ravens 2nd round picks not panning out or they trade/cut them.
So even if Maxx does well Oz will probably trade him or he will just be a bust and get cut...kidding

I don't like the idea of Nick Boyle playing FB. i just don't like a 6'4 lead blocking, i see him clogging lanes instead of opening them.
That Beaver FB Ricky Ortiz is a nice pick up and i'm hoping he makes the roster.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Max Williams, Crockett Gillimore, and Nick Boyle is a solid group, they could be the future when Pitta is done.
Darren Waller should just go back to WR, he cant block at all.

Seems like there's trend with the Ravens 2nd round picks not panning out or they trade/cut them.
So even if Maxx does well Oz will probably trade him or he will just be a bust and get cut...kidding

I dont like the idea of Nick Boyle playing FB. i just dont like a 6'4 lead blocking, i see him clogging lanes instead of opening them.
That Beaver Fullback Ricky Ortiz is a nice pick up and im hoping he makes the roster.

I really wish Waller could be our possession guy at WR, but that's a stretch and unrealistic at this point. I agree though, Boyle, Gilmore, and Mad Maxx is a solid trio post Pitta.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Flacco only bothers with pitta. I saw Maxx open plenty of times and flacco doesn't even bother looking his way. He'll throw a dump off to pitta or try to squeeze anything to him even when hes covered. Reeks of politics IMO. Mallet was helping maxx, flacco was destroying him, as he does with rookies in general.

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
Flacco only bothers with pitta. I saw Maxx open plenty of times and flacco doesn't even bother looking his way. He'll throw a dump off to pitta or try to squeeze anything to him even when hes covered. Reeks of politics IMO. Mallet was helping maxx, flacco was destroying him, as he does with rookies in general.
SHow me
Did maxx and flacco play much with each other?
Link or tell me what game.

Reactions: Tiz

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
If Max can play and get in game shape he should be an above average TE at least. He has a rep of being lazy and coasting on his immense natural skills. It has to be frustrating for Harbaugh.

Got to be frustrating for ALL of us. After all, we did trade up in front of the Steelers to get him. I still have hope....not much, but it's still there.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
SHow me
Did maxx and flacco play much with each other?
Link or tell me what game.

Yup, in 2015 and for the first 3 games of 2016 beofre maxx was put on IR. Maxx gained nearly all of his Yards in 2015 through mallett. He had a great game vs cinci i believe at the end of the season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yup, in 2015 and for the first 3 games of 2016 beofre maxx was put on IR. Maxx gained nearly all of his Yards in 2015 through mallett. He had a great game vs cinci i believe at the end of the season.
This is true, but you do have to take into account that it is rare for a TE not to have an adjustment from the college game to pros. He was just getting his feet wet and the game started to slow down for him by the end of the year. If he can stay healthy, I believe he could be a big factor for us.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is true, but you do have to take into account that it is rare for a TE not to have an adjustment from the college game to pros. He was just getting his feet wet and the game started to slow down for him by the end of the year. If he can stay healthy, I believe he could be a big factor for us.

I hope he has gotten a bit more ripped and athletic. He's looked a bit tubby in the past two seasons. He's a really good talent..just needs to take his chances now.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't know if I can put my trust in Maxx. I think Gilmore, if he stays healthy, could be a very good #1 TE as he is an excellent blocker and a freaking tank of a man who looked to be developing into a better receiving TE as well. I really like Wallers upside, I hope we keep him. Boyle is just an all around solid TE, and I really wish Watson could've played last year, but I see no room for him on this team, especially with Pitta being retained.
As much as Gilmore is a hard nosed player, I believe he has reached his ceiling. It will be interesting to see what we do with Watson, my guess is that we want to see how he performs during the offseason and training camp before we make a decision whether to cut him or not.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
esp when we pass on a stud like OJ howard in the first!

If we weren't so crowded at TE, then I agree. I personally don't get why we kept Pitta when we still have Maxx (I understand we haven't seen much of him), Gilmore, and Boyle. If anything, let them go through the growing pains.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we weren't so crowded at TE, then I agree. I personally don't get why we kept Pitta when we still have Maxx (I understand we haven't seen much of him), Gilmore, and Boyle. If anything, let them go through the growing pains.

C'mon now, we know why we kept pitta....

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
Mallett to Williams in those 2 games 15targets/8catches 69 yards. hmmm

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I know, I just don't like it at all. Pitta is just average to me.

I see this season as being the make or tear it down season as it pertains to flacco and harbaugh. If flacco plays awful this year, it will hit the FO that we need to find our next QB.

this is a very pivotal season..right now, as every team feels ( apart from the bears lol) they are going to be great, things are feeling rosy and optimistic..

My gut tells me the D will be top 5. My gut tells me that unless we produce some late off season magic via trades or surprising cuts, this offense could easily be bottom 5.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like Gilmore and Boyle. Their big bodied bruisers at the TE spot when they are healthy!

Last edited: