• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Volume WR, Who is it Gonna Be?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
He gives us a good possession receiver. I'm not saying he brings us up to a top 5 offense, but we don't have to be a top 5 or even top 10 offense.

With our defense, I'd be happy with top 15. I certainly don't want to trade a 2nd round pick in exchange for a WR with a high contract. Not a chance. I'd rather draft one in next years draft.
Even if it means difference in missing playoffs and championship contention

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Neither of us know whether we would be in a better position trading our 2nd for a younger receiver with a higher contract than just signing Boldin. We certainly would be in a worse situation cap wise. Obviously we have differing opinions, and that's ok.

Now make it a 4th rounder and I'm down, but a 2nd rounder is too much.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Humphrey has serious bust potential at cornerback. Did you see Sammy's clips of him getting roasted? The league could of saw Humphrey as second rounder. You are talking as if Humphrey is a clean prospect that is nearly bustproof. When a dozen players drafted between 17-40 outplay him all the excuses aren't going fly. Oz and Eric can not tell Biscotti well we saw them players as lesser than Humphrey for various reasons. Because it means he was wrong. And there will be no excuses if Humphrey doesn't play to his draft status. By that logic the league saw Tim Williams as a mid round talent. And not completely because of his character flaws.
Sami has gone back and watched more tape and is now much better with the pick. Watch how he covers Ross, watch how he breaks on short and intermediate routes. Watch how he plays with his eyes in the backfield and everything in front of him. He's strong in press and cover 2. With a little improved technique he will be better playing the deep ball as well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Humphrey has serious bust potential at cornerback. Did you see Sammy's clips of him getting roasted? The league could of saw Humphrey as second rounder. You are talking as if Humphrey is a clean prospect that is nearly bustproof. When a dozen players drafted between 17-40 outplay him all the excuses aren't going fly. Oz and Eric can not tell Biscotti well we saw them players as lesser than Humphrey for various reasons. Because it means he was wrong. And there will be no excuses if Humphrey doesn't play to his draft status. By that logic the league saw Tim Williams as a mid round talent. And not completely because of his character flaws.
players between 17 and 40 haven't outplayed him yet so what are you getting at? If these players that you claim are so obviously better than Humphrey don't pan out and Humphrey does, which is very possible, then your argument applies for every team who drafted those guys.

Your argument is 100% riding on unknowns. You are saying Ozzie and decosta made a bonehead move by taking a player who was widely regarded as the #2 corner over players who went in the second round. And you are basically declaring that Humphrey has no chance of being good and that's your whole argument. It's all incredibly pessimistic predictions. Have you even watched film on Humphrey and the other prospects? Or are you just parroting Sami and watching his cherry-picked examples? I mean hell even the super stubborn Sami has changed his tune a bit on Humphrey after watching more film

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You're arguing in hindsight and we don't even have hindsight yet.

The NFL is all calculated risks. We can say "trading a 2nd for a big contract wr is all we need to contend" but teams who make those kind of reckless splash moves regret it more often than not, therefore you take the less risky move and don't put all your eggs in one basket. So you can say "trading for a wr is the difference between contention and missing the playoffs" but that doesn't make it true, nor does it make it a wise move to trade a second for a wr. How you can argue hindsight without even having hindsight?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
You're arguing in hindsight and we don't even have hindsight yet.

The NFL is all calculated risks. We can say "trading a 2nd for a big contract wr is all we need to contend" but teams who make those kind of reckless splash moves regret it more often than not, therefore you take the less risky move and don't put all your eggs in one basket. So you can say "trading for a wr is the difference between contention and missing the playoffs" but that doesn't make it true, nor does it make it a wise move to trade a second for a wr. How you can argue hindsight without even having hindsight?

Being correct in hindsight is management's job. Right before the colts moron of a gm was fired do you think he could of saved his job like that? "You have the luxury of hindsight judging me on my busts and pro bowlers I let get by"

You don't need to be Nostradamus to see how things are going to work out on offense. And a playmaker will set the table for everything else.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

He is a pretty safe player - yes he may have troubles with his back to the play down the field but that's what deep safeties are for - within 10-15 yards of the LoS especially in zone he is going to be a big improvement on the field straight away and that is his floor - so he comes in and helps fix one of this team's weakest parts of its defence which is its ability to stop short passes/screens/quick outs in zone coverage

and you are just assuming he will fail what about when he outplays guys drafted ahead of him because that is just as likely as the scenario you have envisioned - and they definitely can tell biscotti as lesser players because steve was in the room with them with the draft board on the wall

and 100% the only reason tim williams fell was because of his character concerns - i had him as the 12th guy on my board on a pure talent level and many league sources have been said to have seen him as a top 15 guy pretty much across the board on pure talent level

no prospect is completely bust proof or they would be taken number 1 overall - but humphrey has a pretty high floor as at least a role player and a guy who will get on the field but his ceiling is a lockdown corner of jimmy smith-esque ability which is why we got him at 16

i guarantee you his range was not 17-40 as he was widely expected to be the 2nd corner off the board by team sources after the sidney jones injury which suggests that even if adoree jackson still went ahead of him, oakland almost certainly would have taken him at 24 - so his range was probably more like 11-24 than 17-40 (which is a number you've pulled from nowhere - i trust the league far more than i trust sami)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Being correct in hindsight is management's job. Right before the colts moron of a gm was fired do you think he could of saved his job like that? "You have the luxury of hindsight judging me on my busts and pro bowlers I let get by"

You don't need to be Nostradamus to see how things are going to work out on offense. And a playmaker will set the table for everything else.

yes so how can you criticise management before the season has even started if they have to have a hindsight view - unless you have time travelled then by your own criteria you have no grounds to criticise the pick

and then you have immediately undermined yourself by talking about how bad our offense is before the season has started - i agree it's probably bad but you dont have hindsight yet with which to critique the front office which you have just said is what the draft will be judged on

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean it's obvious what's going on here. You wanted oj Howard and because we passed on him you will bash Humphrey despite his huge upside and great system fit and say our FO has lost their edge.

Our offense may be bad. But if jimmy gets hurt again, we have a corner to step in now. Remember how many times we have lost games that our offense won for us because we didn't have jimmy out there and our defense fell apart? No more of that.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Prison Mike, you win.

I think they'll just bring in a veteran. Boldin would the the perfect fit. I understand not reaching for a WR in the draft when we got two sophomores who may make strides this year in Moore and Perriman. We need that possession guy.

Perfect Fit how? Boldin is at the point where he's basically like another TE. We already have pitta who can't gain any YAC.

The Lions may have used him as an excellent redzone option, but outside of the magical run he was never used effectively here and now his skills have diminished.

I feel like if Boldin comes back then Flacco will have blinders on for him similar to Pitta and just force passes to them. I mean at least Boldin would be smart enough to run his routes beyond the sticks.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Perfect Fit how? Boldin is at the point where he's basically like another TE. We already have pitta who can't gain any YAC.

The Lions may have used him as an excellent redzone option, but outside of the magical run he was never used effectively here and now his skills have diminished.

I feel like if Boldin comes back then Flacco will have blinders on for him similar to Pitta and just force passes to them. I mean at least Boldin would be smart enough to run his routes beyond the sticks.
We need a possession WR and that is what Boldin is at this point, we have a speed guy in Perriman and Wallace and we have a slot guy in Camp, when healthy. Boldin isn't "basically" a tight end.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here's my take on the WRs:

*Perriman and Flacco will finally get to actually have offseason practice time together and develop a feel and rhythm for one another. Perriman will have a better grasp of the offense and speed of the NFL, we will get more plays similar to that long TD vs the Dolphins.

*C.Moore has basically been labeled a deep threat, speedster since last year's draft, but during the preseason last year the kid had most of his production in the middle of field. He picked up a few first downs looked like more than a one trick pony, but once the regular season began and he dropped that pass looking to run before securing the ball it seemed like offensive snaps dwindled. < we will never find/discover diamonds in rough if they never get the targets to make tangible differences. >

Campanaro eh until he's able to play more than 25% of the games in a season, I can't endorse him. In 3 years he's played 11 total games!

** I think Eric Decker will be a post-June 1 cut by the Jets, could be another option at WR.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Here's my take on the WRs:

*Perriman and Flacco will finally get to actually have offseason practice time together and develop a feel and rhythm for one another. Perriman will have a better grasp of the offense and speed of the NFL, we will get more plays similar to that long TD vs the Dolphins.

*C.Moore has basically been labeled a deep threat, speedster since last year's draft, but during the preseason last year the kid had most of his production in the middle of field. He picked up a few first downs looked like more than a one trick pony, but once the regular season began and he dropped that pass looking to run before securing the ball it seemed like offensive snaps dwindled. < we will never find/discover diamonds in rough if they never get the targets to make tangible differences. >

Campanaro eh until he's able to play more than 25% of the games in a season, I can't endorse him. In 3 years he's played 11 total games!

** I think Eric Decker will be a post-June 1 cut by the Jets, could be another option at WR.
Agree with you on all accts. Eric Decker could be a viable option, if the for believes he is healthy enough.

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
Boldin vs. Waller.....not even close. Besides Waller is a TE
Yea it would be cool to have Q back in purple but If Q isnt a raven this season, we have a player on the roster that i believe is better than Q at this point. Darren Waller is still more of a WR than a TE.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yea it would be cool to have Q back in purple but If Q isnt a raven this season, we have a player on the roster that i believe is better than Q at this point. Darren Waller is still more of a WR than a TE.
I hope he does turn out better. He has some serious athleticism for a big man

Big Cat Garcia

Practice Squad
I would much rather see the Ravens add a veteran Running Back than receiver. However I see them putting both on the 90 man at sometime to give a look see. What will probably happen, as usual, is the 90 man will thin out due to injuries/low productive players. Thus allowing for some leftover FA or cap casualties to be evaluated and given a spot to make the 53 man. There is definitely an opening at RB especially for 4 weeks maybe more.

James Starks or L Blount would be good looks for the Ravens. Solid yardage guys that like to get the ball in there hands and make big plays.
Micheal Floyd or Rod Streater might be hungry enough to break the mold at WR. Both actually have low mileage considering the years.

The WR camp is young with the exception of Wallace. So it is reasonable to think that Ravens will consider adding veteran help.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
That's why it's always a good idea to sign a weapon with your young qb or have players already. flacco had Ray rice, he got paid when he had Ray rice. Then flacco got lucky with forsett and coach kub. Flacco needs a running game, he can't carry the offense even if he gets another wr. Solid running game and defense is the formula flacco works with, hell that's the formula for all latest super bowl champs.

I agree!

I've always said that the Ravens "identity or "formula" is to pound that rock and run that play action off of it! To me, that is where Flacco seems to really shine. Oh! And with that "sugar" huddle! Sure, the NFL is a "passing league" now but a team's ability to pound that rock and run down that clock can neutralize to eliminate an opponent's passing attack. Dallas did it extremely well last season! Sure up our O-line with some studs and we may have something in that area.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Waller could be the guy with his big frame and all, but I don't think he makes it over the hump. I like the kid.

I'd love if the Ravens went back to that smash mouth football.