• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 Trade Deadline

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
I heard this topic on the radio one morning. It sounds like Alex Mack could be on the block this year in addition to potentially many others considering the current state of many unexpected teams flat lining.

I'm curious to get the boards opinion on who some of these other players might be and what the Ravens should try acquiring. For me...I want OL desperately and maybe an upgrade at WR depending on how expensive that would be.

What say you?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I heard this topic on the radio one morning. It sounds like Alex Mack could be on the block this year in addition to potentially many others considering the current state of many unexpected teams flat lining.

I'm curious to get the boards opinion on who some of these other players might be and what the Ravens should try acquiring. For me...I want OL desperately and maybe an upgrade at WR depending on how expensive that would be.

What say you?
In regards to Mack specifically...
1. I think Skura has been fine. I'm not an expert in Oline grades, but FilmStudy grades Oline play every week. He had a rough opener against Cleveland, but has gotten B or A grades in weeks 2-5. Will see how he graded against Philly, but I don't believe he had any penalties, which is more than I can say for most of the Oline yesterday, so that's something. I'm fine with our Center play.
2. He's due $8M this year, so Ravens would be absorbing $4-5M of his current year pay in any trade. That's not something to sneeze at.
3. I'd rather see us address the interior of the Oline, though we've got a lot of youth there and I don't think the Ravens are going to want to send a message to all of them that they think they suck by trading for somebody at this point.
4. I can't say that our Tackle play has been all that great the first 6 games, and we're certainly not moving on or trading for upgrades from either of those guys.

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
In regards to Mack specifically...
1. I think Skura has been fine. I'm not an expert in Oline grades, but FilmStudy grades Oline play every week. He had a rough opener against Cleveland, but has gotten B or A grades in weeks 2-5. Will see how he graded against Philly, but I don't believe he had any penalties, which is more than I can say for most of the Oline yesterday, so that's something. I'm fine with our Center play.
2. He's due $8M this year, so Ravens would be absorbing $4-5M of his current year pay in any trade. That's not something to sneeze at.
3. I'd rather see us address the interior of the Oline, though we've got a lot of youth there and I don't think the Ravens are going to want to send a message to all of them that they think they suck by trading for somebody at this point.
4. I can't say that our Tackle play has been all that great the first 6 games, and we're certainly not moving on or trading for upgrades from either of those guys.

Agreed. You make some valid points. Yanda departure hurt a lot which was as expected.

I just read an article suggesting Julio Jones to Baltimore which would be dynamite. I would be all over that if it were on the table.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed. You make some valid points. Yanda departure hurt a lot which was as expected.

I just read an article suggesting Julio Jones to Baltimore which would be dynamite. I would be all over that if it were on the table.
Said article is stupid.
1. We have almost no mechanism to pay him the rest of his 2020 salary, and have zero mechanism to pay for any of his future salaries. We can't afford to pay him $15.3M he's due next year, which is fully guaranteed.
2. If the Falcons traded him today, which of course they won't be, they'd take on a $23.25M dead money cap hit next year for him.

I largely ignore these types of articles. Its people thinking this is MLB or the NBA, where every bad team is willing to trade all their good players, current or future, just because they're bad this year. It pretty much never works that way in the NFL.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
marvin jones would be the ideal replacement for boykin, who does indeed need a replacement. the WR2 who has WR1 play style, because our WR1 doesnt. we could definitely use a guy with some length and some ability to make some contested catches down the sideline, its legitimately the weakest part of our team and has been for a while.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

I saw that too. Would cream my pants if EDC landed Julio but there’s no way in hell that’s happening. Hoping for a vet WR myself to replace Boykin

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Also, Gallup would be a dream come true, but I doubt Dallas is interested in trading him since they still sit atop the East (lmao)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really? I was expecting there to be much more activity then a Marvin Jones type move. That would be like Willie Snead 2.0
You were expecting more activity than that? He would be among the biggest "names" to get traded, and trades don't really occur all that frequently in the NFL.

My expectation is that we make basically no moves, because that's what typically happens at the deadline.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’d love Marvin here

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You were expecting more activity than that? He would be among the biggest "names" to get traded, and trades don't really occur all that frequently in the NFL.

My expectation is that we make basically no moves, because that's what typically happens at the deadline.

trades have been much more frequent the last few years - especially as you get closer to the trade deadline buying teams have got more aggressive and selling teams have let their prices drop and we've seen more deals

with covid though it's possible we see many fewer than the last couple of years because guys have to travel cross-country, and have 2 consecutive negative tests just to be allowed into the building

MaxMikado

Practice Squad
with covid though it's possible we see many fewer than the last couple of years because guys have to travel cross-country, and have 2 consecutive negative tests just to be allowed into the building

I agree. COVID protocols and the threat of a positive test at any given moment, makes it more likely that teams are more unwilling to part with assets this year than in any other season in recent memory. Teams are inclined to maintain as much depth as possible. Even if there are financial implications, teams will be more willing to eat the cap space on an underperforming or overpriced player if it means keeping a healthy, capable body as a contingency.

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
something tells me Gallup gets put on the trade block. I think he gets moved if someone offers a couple picks.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
something tells me Gallup gets put on the trade block. I think he gets moved if someone offers a couple picks.
Gallup would be a dream come true

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
why would he be on the trade block?

I mean I'm not the GM of the Dallas Cowboys...for the record.

The way I see it is I have a overqualified WR 3/4 on my roster that is struggling with the opportunities that he's seeing. Last year he was setting pretty high expectations but is starting to fade with Cooper and Lamb in the picture. I would try and trade him during the deadline to a team like the Ravens to build my defense or acquire more draft capital for next year.

Their defense is atrocious as is, so I would expect they invest in the draft coming up.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Gallup would be a dream. Still on a cheap rookie contract and I think our salary cap is only at like 4million right now. I don’t see us making any big splashes.

But at the same time, NFC east is a crazy division right now. Cowboys are division leaders at 2-4.
I don’t see Jerry Jones trading in pieces with the future in mind. He’s desperately trying to win now.

Side note: I read a crazy stat about the NFC East...

“The Washington Football Team is both 1 game away from leading their division, and 1 game away from having the 1st pick in the NFL draft.”

lol.

Last edited: