• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article A Complete Team Win Helps to Right the Ship

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
This was the win we all had hoped for and wanted. This was the aggressive offensive mentality and the play making defense that we know the Baltimore Ravens are capable. This was a much closer look at the true potential of the 2017 Baltimore Ravens.

Sure, we should add the caveat that this game was against a backup quarterback in EJ Manuel and we should temper the expectation a bit for future games when the Ravens face stronger teams. Had Derek Carr played, this game might be different. However, had Brandon Williams, Marshal Yanda, and Brent Urban been able to play, this game probably looks different. Hell, if Jimmy Smith plays the entire game, this is probably a different story. Even with the injury to Carr, the Oakland Raiders have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL on paper. In fact, the Raiders might have been the most popular pick for AFC representative for the Super Bowl. The fact that the 2017 Ravens, a team many had no hopes for, were able to pull through adversity after getting smacked around in their previous two games should count for something. This was an all around win that highlighted many positives that were not seen in weeks three or four and the offense showed an aggression and ability that were not even seen in weeks one or two. The Ravens came together as a team for the first time in 2017 and it looked oh so good.

Offensively, this is the Joe Flacco that we needed to see the past two weeks and will need to continue seeing throughout the season if the Ravens are going to continue to win. Despite not throwing a touchdown, Flacco did not throw an interception, either. He also showed a very aggressive mentality on the deep ball and showed excellent touch. Flacco attempted just four passes of over 20 yards, but he completed three of those for 133 yards to Mike Wallace, including an opening 52 yard pass down the left sideline to put the Ravens in position for their first touchdown. That is why the zero touchdown performance does not feel as bad as it may look on the surface. If you saw zero touchdowns, you would assume a quarterback played so-so, but Flacco played well. He moved the ball all game long and set up three scoring plays (touchdown and two field goals) with those deep ball connections. I do not care that Flacco did not throw a single touchdown because he completed 73% of his passes, had 8.5 yards per attempt, helped the offense to 50% on third down, and helped to lead five offensive scoring drives for the Ravens on just nine drives, even with two three and outs. Flacco was the driver of an offense that finally looked in tune and efficient.

The engine of that offense, though? The running game is the engine that makes this car go, without a doubt. Greg Roman needs a massive shout out because he has turned this running game around, even with numerous injuries across the offensive line. Whether it is Terrence West, Alex Collins, or Buck Allen, the Ravens just flat out have success running the ball. A committee approach is becoming an increasing trend in the NFL as workhorse backs are becoming less and less common, and who can blame them when the Ravens are able to get 4.1 YPC and gain nearly 150 yards? The Ravens also scored their only two offensive touchdowns of the game on running touchdowns. With a running game that is firing on all cylinders and Flacco finally finding his footing, the Ravens look like they very well could be a scary team.

I will officially call this a scary team when Brandon Williams comes back because at this very moment, the Ravens run defense looks vulnerable. For all the doubters and naysayers whom did not want Williams to be re-signed, it is time to eat crow. He has more than proven his worth during his absence, as the Raiders were able to comfortably maintain a ground game and gain over 100 yards and score a touchdown with the run. The run defense has faltered the past three weeks, but on a positive note, the run defense was far from a detriment to the team in this game. What appears to be a relatively decent unit even with the losses of Carl Davis, Brent Urban, and Williams will only get better and stronger when Williams and Davis return.

On the back end, though, we may finally be seeing what to expect. Sure, it felt like EJ Manuel was able to move the ball at will and was able to find success, but if you really look at Manuel, it felt fluky. If you take away his long touchdown to Michael Crabtree where Brandon Carr lost his assignment, Manuel has a net total of 96 yards on 25 passes and completes 48% of his passes. The Ravens secondary finally showed up and made its money in this game through tight coverage and a defensive touchdown from Jimmy Smith on a fumble recovery that was forced by Peanut Onwuasor. The tight coverage of the Ravens secondary (who was without Jimmy Smith for much of the game) allowed the front seven to rack up three sacks against an offensive line that, on paper, could challenge for best in the league. And while we are at it, let us give credit to Dean Pees for scheming pressure and designing his defense in such a way to confuse Manuel. Tony Jefferson’s sack was a direct result of schemed pressure and a disguised blitz. Eric Weddle showed blitz off the edge to draw the assignment of the running back as Jefferson slipped off the edge and hit Manuel from behind before he knew what was coming. The secondary finally looked on form after embarrassing performances against the Steelers and Jaguars. Again, sure, the unit was without Derek Carr, but we should not act as if Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree, and Jared Cook are chumps. And again, the scary thing is that this defense will only get better as it gets healthy.

The Ravens will need to show more consistency in the upcoming weeks, but this is the type of performance that was dreamed of when the season began. The Ravens showed a full, complete game from quarter one to two to four (quarter three just never happened). It was only one game and it will need to be built upon, but the positives were overwhelming and no matter who was playing and who was not, the Ravens looked like a true playoff contending team.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I feel like it's underrated how Willie Henry and Za'Darius Smith are performing right now. Those guys bring a steady pass rush that doesn't translate to stats but force a lot of broken plays from offenses. Tim Williams also needs to play more, his production is unreal and against quality opposition. He's by far our best outside rusher right now.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nice read!

Hell you could probably write for team site..

This was a solid performance by the team, my only gripe is that they weren't as confident & aggressive to start the second half and seemed to regress.

I'll never understand our RB rotation, anytime someone has a nice run or seems to have the "hot hand", they substitute and kill that momentum. Late 1st quarter A.Collins carries for 5 yards, then he busts one open for 25 yards boom sub Allen in -1 yd run.

Buck Allen eventually stopped stutter-stepping & slipping and grinded out some good yards throughout the game but I wonder why Collins never got any Goalline touches.

Pees had a couple of nice safety blitzes, I sure hope T.Williams, Bowser, Z.Smith and Judon can start getting sacks and QB hits.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I feel like it's underrated how Willie Henry and Za'Darius Smith are performing right now. Those guys bring a steady pass rush that doesn't translate to stats but force a lot of broken plays from offenses. Tim Williams also needs to play more, his production is unreal and against quality opposition. He's by far our best outside rusher right now.
Henry has really been what he was supposed to be when he was drafted. His ability to affect passing plays with pressure and batted balls equally has been a really welcome addition in the past couple weeks.

Smith has really taken the next step here recently.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Nice read!

Hell you could probably write for team site..

This was a solid performance by the team, my only gripe is that they weren't as confident & aggressive to start the second half and seemed to regress.

I'll never understand our RB rotation, anytime someone has a nice run or seems to have the "hot hand", they substitute and kill that momentum. Late 1st quarter A.Collins carries for 5 yards, then he busts one open for 25 yards boom sub Allen in -1 yd run.

Buck Allen eventually stopped stutter-stepping & slipping and grinded out some good yards throughout the game but I wonder why Collins never got any Goalline touches.

Pees had a couple of nice safety blitzes, I sure hope T.Williams, Bowser, Z.Smith and Judon can start getting sacks and QB hits.
Someone else mentioned this, but as far as Collins in the red zone, until he can prove he's not a fumble concern, he probably won't get many touches in the red zone. Fumbling inside the 20, or especially the 10, is incredibly deflating for a team.

But yeah, it's really confusing when the Ravens will be at their own 25 and Collins will break off a few seven, eight yard runs and get the ball past midfield and here comes Allen. Yeah, I suppose you could argue Allen is a more reliable third down back, but why not let Collins keep going? I think he's shown pretty well when he can keep grinding. Some backs get better with touches. He seems to be one.

I think Williams, Smith, and Henry are going to be the next great pass rushers for the Ravens. I think Bowser will be a Jamie Collins. Judon to me has just been a little disappointing.

And thank you for the kind compliment. I feel like my writing can be a bit sporadic and I really have to work to chain my ideas together, but thank you for the high praise.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Henry has really been what he was supposed to be when he was drafted. His ability to affect passing plays with pressure and batted balls equally has been a really welcome addition in the past couple weeks.

Smith has really taken the next step here recently.
That's exactly my opinion on both. Henry had such good tape in college and he popped so much that I couldn't understand what was going on with him that made him a healthy scratch. I hope the coaches won't put him out of the lineup once BWill comes back...

Smith, I've always said he was better suited to rush from the interior and even last year he had interesting results when doing so. This year he is used more in that role and he's also gotten better on his outside rush. Combine that with his usual hustle and he's become a very valuable player imo.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
That's exactly my opinion on both. Henry had such good tape in college and he popped so much that I couldn't understand what was going on with him that made him a healthy scratch. I hope the coaches won't put him out of the lineup once BWill comes back...

Smith, I've always said he was better suited to rush from the interior and even last year he had interesting results when doing so. This year he is used more in that role and he's also gotten better on his outside rush. Combine that with his usual hustle and he's become a very valuable player imo.
I can't imagine you take Henry out anymore because with the injury to Urban, the pass rush just isn't there. Wormley and Kaufusi just aren't cutting it. Henry has proven to be a very valuable piece as a pass rusher.

Many people said he would be better than Dupree. They aren't looking wrong at this point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can't imagine you take Henry out anymore because with the injury to Urban, the pass rush just isn't there. Wormley and Kaufusi just aren't cutting it. Henry has proven to be a very valuable piece as a pass rusher.

Many people said he would be better than Dupree. They aren't looking wrong at this point.

i dont think there's any way willie henry is ever a healthy scratch again given he is the new iron man of the defensive line - he's playing more snaps than michael pierce and filling in the rush dlineman role that urban filled

even once williams and davis are back i think its likely we end up with williams, pierce, henry, ricard and then whichever of davis, wormley and kaufusi looks better that week//matches up better vs the opposition...

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
My worry is just that he isn't the "contain" type of player that we love so much (see Canty, Guy, etc...). He's more of a bulldozer that can make some mental mistakes, which I can completely get over but I'm not sure the FO will.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
My worry is just that he isn't the "contain" type of player that we love so much (see Canty, Guy, etc...). He's more of a bulldozer that can make some mental mistakes, which I can completely get over but I'm not sure the FO will.
One of Kaufausi or Wormley will likely eventually become this. It was Wormley's first career game on Sunday and he did put a pressure on the QB.
i dont think there's any way willie henry is ever a healthy scratch again given he is the new iron man of the defensive line - he's playing more snaps than michael pierce and filling in the rush dlineman role that urban filled

even once williams and davis are back i think its likely we end up with williams, pierce, henry, ricard and then whichever of davis, wormley and kaufusi looks better that week//matches up better vs the opposition...
Don't disagree. Henry's contributions have certainly been underrated: He's been very good and he's only going to get better.
I think Williams, Smith, and Henry are going to be the next great pass rushers for the Ravens. I think Bowser will be a Jamie Collins. Judon to me has just been a little disappointing.

I think making Judon lose the weight was a mistake. He was a good power rusher last season and a better edge setter. Now... Not so much. I think we should get him back to his old playing weight again. But otherwise I don't disagree. I'd like to see us add another interior rusher at some point(I mean, Pierce isn't bad, but having another rotational piece would be awesome)

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
One of Kaufausi or Wormley will likely eventually become this. It was Wormley's first career game on Sunday and he did put a pressure on the QB.

Don't disagree. Henry's contributions have certainly been underrated: He's been very good and he's only going to get better.

I think making Judon lose the weight was a mistake. He was a good power rusher last season and a better edge setter. Now... Not so much. I think we should get him back to his old playing weight again. But otherwise I don't disagree. I'd like to see us add another interior rusher at some point(I mean, Pierce isn't bad, but having another rotational piece would be awesome)
From what I can tell, Judon wasn't half bad vs Raiders. He played pretty good game.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Oh for sure, I do like Wormley and I don't understand why nobody on this board does. He's doing his job very well. I fear that the FO would prefer that to Henry actually.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Someone might've mentioned this already but I saw Ricard whiff on several blocks last week. And I mean like 3 or 4 times, and it could've happened more often I just missed it, and it blew up the run play badly each time. I haven't watched him besides this past week but he definitely needs to improve.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Oh for sure, I do like Wormley and I don't understand why nobody on this board does. He's doing his job very well. I fear that the FO would prefer that to Henry actually.
yep, came close to getting a sack or atleast half of one.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
From what I can tell, Judon wasn't half bad vs Raiders. He played pretty good game.
Judon had an excellent game vs. the Raiders. Although I do believe he should gain his wait back or atleast part of it, I do agree they had him lose the wait to play better in space.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
to be fair it wasnt a great game in terms of pressure but he had 2 great coverages in the passing game
Exactly why he least the weight, but I’d like to see him gain some of it back so he can set the edge and apply pressure better. He already proved he could apply pressure last year.