• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 DB Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
nah man, for me you've got to watch non-highlights especially with safeties

Cisco's probably the best example this year - if you watched his highlights, you'd think he was the 2nd coming of Ed Reed on steroids... an absolute boat-load of picks, jumping underneath routes to make highlight-worthy hits or break ups

from his highlights you'd probably think he has great anticipation, great physical tackler, erases the middle of the field etc.

but in actuality he's a free-lancer who blew a ton of coverages, is an inconsistent tackler - and generally a really inconsistent player on a drive-by-drive basis

with corners i like to be able to see what they do when they get beat, or what they do when the ball's not coming their way (not gonna learn a ton about Caleb Farley from his highlights because in his 2 best games they through to his side of the field maybe once or twice and that was it...)

but they're probably the 2 hardest positions to scout as a lay-person because of the lack of access to all-22 but it's worse for safeties because they rarely appear in replays on good plays either lol unless they made a play in man coverage
Good example with Cisco, his anticipation and understanding of the concepts in front of him are nonexistent. Idk how he gets any buzz at all. I could see him being one of those guys that a lot of fans are calling a day 2 prospect that goes undrafted

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good example with Cisco, his anticipation and understanding of the concepts in front of him are nonexistent. Idk how he gets any buzz at all. I could see him being one of those guys that a lot of fans are calling a day 2 prospect that goes undrafted

oh he's definitely getting drafted and likely on day 2

he still has the athletic talent and range that it's rare to find - the instincts are spotty - but he flashes good disciplined play that leads to good results

with Cisco it's clear that he's an interesting prospect with some really intriguing traits who's been overhyped because of the outrageous statistics that he's sort of lucked into a bit - still looks to me like a day 2 guy who has major upside just maybe not as the true centre-fielder that some would tout him as

he's got really good movement skills and it's hard to teach that sort of stuff

with Cisco it's amazing flashes vs poor recognition and over-aggressiveness - but with the occasional flash of disciplined play - as i said in my last post though it almost seems like he has a mental switch that turns off/on each drive and what you get at the beginning of the drive is what you're getting for the whole drive

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

he still has the athletic talent and range that it's rare to find - the instincts are spotty - but he flashes good disciplined play that leads to good results

with Cisco it's clear that he's an interesting prospect with some really intriguing traits who's been overhyped because of the outrageous statistics that he's sort of lucked into a bit - still looks to me like a day 2 guy who has major upside just maybe not as the true centre-fielder that some would tout him as

with Cisco it's amazing flashes vs poor recognition and over-aggressiveness - but with the occasional flash of disciplined play - as i said in my last post though it almost seems like he has a mental switch that turns off/on each drive and what you get at the beginning of the drive is what you're getting for the whole drive
He’s Matt Elam

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Cisco went to img academy down here so i kind of like him a little bit.. he def is overly aggressive .its like he can tackle but also misses a lot of tackles.. falls for fakes alot too.. however, he has special traits dont most S dont have. If he can correct does small flaws, he will def get a shot at starting in nfl... oh yea, he also tore his acl

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Cisco went to img academy down here so i kind of like him a little bit.. he def is overly aggressive .its like he can tackle but also misses a lot of tackles.. falls for fakes alot too.. however, he has special traits dont most S dont have. If he can correct does small flaws, he will def get a shot at starting in nfl... oh yea, he also tore his acl

he's definitely gonna have a shot - i wouldnt necessarily call them small flaws though lol - but you're also right that he's got special athleticism that you can't teach

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Israel Mukuamu, jaycee horn's teammate - dude's 6'3 but has amazing movement skills for his size - had never heard of him but just put a mid-day-2 grade on him - physical corner, amazing length, loose hips, great play recognition, great ball-skills - not a great tackler and has some technical things he needs to work on as well as probably some schematic limitations...

but i love it when this sort of thing happens... he's the 179th guy i've graded, had never heard of him and up he goes into the top 75 or so on the board

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Israel Mukuamu, jaycee horn's teammate - dude's 6'3 but has amazing movement skills for his size - had never heard of him but just put a mid-day-2 grade on him - physical corner, amazing length, loose hips, great play recognition, great ball-skills - not a great tackler and has some technical things he needs to work on as well as probably some schematic limitations...

but i love it when this sort of thing happens... he's the 179th guy i've graded, had never heard of him and up he goes into the top 75 or so on the board
With that size and skill set he could be a good developmental pick to eventually take Jimmy Smith's spot in a couple years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With that size and skill set he could be a good developmental pick to eventually take Jimmy Smith's spot in a couple years.

and he's got positional versatility - he already plays an impressive amount of slot, deep safety, box safety in his college tape

means you can find ways to get him on the field even if he isn't playing a ton of outside corner early in his career - has a chance to get on the field and also develop at the same time

but you're right, if we took him it would most likely signal the sunset of jimmy smith's career

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I took a quick dive on mukuamu a while back and came away impressed, mock generators have him going mid day 3 and that’s a steal because I see a nfl corner on film, looks like an ideal guy to have deep on the depth chart and if one of your boundary corners need to take some plays off he steps right in. Cary Williams type of corner

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure you have seen Camryn Bynum. @Truth pointed him out to me. He plays for the Golden Bears and he's been following him since he was a freshmen. He really likes him and would love the Ravens to take him in the 3rd round. Have you had a chance to see his tape? If you haven't, you should take a look.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not sure you have seen Camryn Bynum. @Truth pointed him out to me. He plays for the Golden Bears and he's been following him since he was a freshmen. He really likes him and would love the Ravens to take him in the 3rd round. Have you had a chance to see his tape? If you haven't, you should take a look.

had a really great senior bowl (which was what first put me onto him)

really nice press corner - powerful punch, physical throughout the route, uses the sideline well, fluid hips allow him to mirror well, times his breaks well, competitive, reads the QB's eyes

not got ideal long-speed which could leave him vulnerable over the top and he doesn't have the great length that you'd normally associate with a physical press corner

he's the rare "high floor-low ceiling" corner prospect

i think he's got a chance to have a nice long career but i wonder if he'll be doomed to always be a stop-gap type vet

there's value in those kinds of players but for me that's in the 4th round at the earliest - that being said he has more value to the ravens than other teams that don't utilise as much press anymore - going to be rated higher on the boards of teams that play more press

i think he'll be knocked down too by the strength of the rest of the corner class - especially the number of guys who already have pretty nice press technique (e.g. all 3 of the Georgia corners)

he's CB 16 for me right now - but i definitely like him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I keep seeing Trevor Moehring falling to us and thought for sure he would go higher. Thoughts?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I keep seeing Trevor Moehring falling to us and thought for sure he would go higher. Thoughts?
Trevon moehrig imo is one of the most overrated prospects of this class. Simply because his teammate looks like a far superior player, and the “1b” safety in Richie grant also looks to be a much better safety as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ooft i only just saw the ar'darius washington pro day numbers and they're rough...

i have to trust what i saw on the tape but man those numbers are definitely not what you'd want at that size for a guy i think has the tape to be drafted fairly high...

i guess the hope would have to be that the numbers help him fall down the draft and we pick him up at a value spot and get a bargain

he's a top 40 player on my board but with those pro day numbers he could fall onto day 3

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One of the last guys on my list Paulson Adebo...

and super late on him but he's a major nice surprise this late in the process - easy day 2 - just a question now of how high the grade gets for me - the highlights are incredible - looks super fluid most of the time but then at others seems to be a bit stiffer - gabriel davis really worked him (how the hell did he make it to the 4th round?) but in other games he shows off really nice hip-flips and great athleticism

think he might be a mid or even early 2nd round type grade for me...

i dont normally like player comps but he looks a lot like sean murphy-bunting from last year who went top 40 and was a key reason the Bucs defence was as good as it was during that superbowl campaign