• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Another Week, More of the Same Old, Same Old From Our 2017 Baltimore Ravens

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
At this point, it almost feels like a scripted same old same old for the Ravens. The highly paid defense fails to perform up to a level of expectation, the offense flounders and falls flat with all the excuses in the world, and the other team who has clear cut weaknesses coming into the game all of a sudden has zero weaknesses and looks like a Super Bowl favorite. Really, please, at this point, for my sake, name a more iconic duo than the Ravens and disappointment?

Just to do a quick recap of the Vikings game, the Ravens made the Vikings, who had one of the worst offensive lines coming into the season, an injury to their star rookie running back, and a secondary with clear weaknesses outside of Rhodes and Smith, look like the best team in the league… with Case Keenum at quarterback. I shudder to think of what would be the result if Sam Bradford had played. It would probably be another week one showing vs the Saints for Bradford.

The Ravens run defense was supposed to return to form against the Vikings with the return of Brandon Williams, but the Vikings all of a sudden crafted a run blocking scheme to perfection that frequently sprung Latavius Murray to the THIRD, not just second, level without being touched on more than a handful of runs. Lardarius Webb reminded us again why he was moved from playing slot cornerback at the NFL level as he was replaced by Jaylen Hill at the end of the game after Webb was beaten soundly like a drum by Jairus Wright and Adam Thielen. On the bright side, Jimmy Smith and Brandon Carr continue to look extremely impressive.

Offensively, Joe Flacco was missing Jeremy Maclin, Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams, Terrence West, and Chris Matthews for the start of the game. Mike Wallace would later leave in the first quarter after a brutal illegal blow to the head put him in the concussion protocol. How would Flacco respond with his top three receivers being Griff Whalen, Michael Campanaro, and Chris Moore? The exact same way that he always has- a conservative based passing attack and shoddy accuracy down the field. The only real difference is that Flacco actually took shots down the field and it helped to open up the passing game in the fourth quarter and even led to a late garbage time touchdown. Imagine that, Joe and Marty- if you take shots down the field and do not use a one yard pass to the covered tight end as your first read, you can begin to attack all levels of the defense. Crazy, right? The running game did about exactly what we would expect and as predicted against this Vikings front seven. Also, as predicted, the Vikings pass rush got going with 5 sacks and 11 pressures on just 39 drop-backs from Flacco. Yikes. Not a good look when you allow your quarterback to be hit or pressured on more than one third of his pass attempts.

Did I miss anything? No? Good, let us move on then.

At this point, is really is fair to wonder if anything will change for the Ravens and their 3-4 record. Hell, it is totally fair to wonder how the Ravens even got here to 3-4 at all and are not just sitting at 0-7. The first two games of the regular season feel like eons ago compared to the level of play that we have seen from the Ravens from week 3 on and will likely continue to see from the Ravens from week eight on. How does a team that utterly dominated its first two opponents defensively collapse so hard? How does a former Super Bowl winning quarterback regress this far to the point that he is no longer recognizable as the layer who hoisted a Lombardi? How is it that the Ravens can miss the playoffs in three of the last four years and potentially four of the last five years and not have monumental changes on the horizon?

There really is something to be said about a team that looks no different with our without its starters, offensively or defensively. Is this all just a scheme issue? Offensively, these same problems have persisted under Marc Trestman and Marty Mornhinweg and there is little reason to believe that they would actually change drastically under Greg Roman with the current personnel all the way around the team offensively.

Defensively, how is it that so many teams can just come in and craft a perfect game plan for the Ravens defense? The Jaguars were able to effectively dominate the Ravens defense with lots of counters and mis-directions, the Steelers just put the ball into the hands of their play makers on the edges of the Ravens defense where they were weak, and the Vikings showed the ability to block down on the Ravens defensive line and use boot legs and roll outs on designed runs to trick an over aggressive defense into chasing where the ball was not. Why are there three different game plans by an opposing offense with essentially three results that add up the same? Are the Ravens just not a disciplined defense? It sure did not look like it in any of these three games when the Ravens could not set an edge or stop over pursuing plays that were simply not there.

The question becomes what will generate any sort of consistency in the offense and what will get this defense to play up to the level of their talent? Offensively, is firing yet another coordinator actually going to provide the necessary spark? Sure, it may provide a short-term fix as teams scramble to figure out how a new offensive coordinator will use the personnel of the Ravens to his advantage, but what happens when there is several weeks of tape available and defenses adjust? We have seen this same story unfold many times in recent memory- the offense falls into a hole of conservative, predictable play that will not win a football game. Do the Ravens need to draft another quarterback if they get a top 5 pick? This draft class looks like the real deal similar to 2004 with Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Sam Darnold all sitting at the top. Look no further than Kansas City where Alex Smith looks like a totally different quarterback now that the Chiefs have drafted his replacement in Patrick Mahomes. Would a fresh, young quarterback motivate Flacco back to his old-self, or even new heights? Hell, it might even be wise to draft a quarterback and Flacco’s cap hits become non-detrimental to the team in two years if the Ravens wanted to move on. Why not milk two more great years out of Flacco and have Josh Rosen learn the ropes of the NFL similar to Aaron Rodgers behind Brett Favre?

Defensively, at this point, it is incredibly hard to actually pinpoint an issue. On one hand, the Ravens have all the talent in the world amongst Brandon Carr, Jimmy Smith, and Marlon Humphrey and the trio is showing up in a major way and absolutely abusing opposing quarterbacks who dare to throw to the outside. On the other hand, the pass rush has not netted a single sack in two weeks and the front seven as a whole have been instrumental in allowing 170 yards per game over the last five games. Is it really as simple as firing Dean Pees? Would the Ravens really benefit from a more aggressive defensive minded coach to take over the defense? Teryl Austin was a huge asset to the Ravens defense as a secondary coach after Chuck Pagano left and he would have vastly more talent to work with back in Baltimore than in Detroit. Would Matt Patricia be a viable answer? He is not an aggressive coordinator, per se, but he seems to know how to exploit match ups and weaknesses on opposing offenses and seemingly always puts his defense in a good position. The Ravens have routinely funneled in draft capital to the defense and the same issues persist year after year. What will it take to change this?

At this point, it is fair to wonder if John Harbaugh is the coach next season if the Baltimore Ravens suffer another losing record. That would be a losing record in two of the past three seasons with 2016 ending right at .500 and the Ravens will have missed the playoffs in four of the last five seasons. Why would you keep a head coach around with those type of results? Because he won a Super Bowl six years ago? Sometimes it is best to move on from a perceived great coach because he just is not doing it for your team anymore. Look at the Philadelphia Eagles and Andy Reid. Reid was incredibly good at getting his team to the playoffs and even got his team to the Super Bowl. He was widely considered one of the best coaches in the entire league and a top tier talent evaluator as he had a large hand in the draft for the Eagles. However, two seasons in a row where he missed the playoffs and a losing record to end and Reid was shown the door. Sure, Reid was immediately snapped up and the Chiefs have been one of the best teams in the league since, but the Eagles are seemingly very happy with Doug Pederson and have found their franchise quarterback in Carson Wentz. With a win tonight against the Washington Redskins, the Eagles would likely solidify themselves as the best team in the NFC, even without Andy Reid coaching them.

At this point, I do not have an answer for what would fix this team. I do not think that a quick and easy fix is possible at this point and I am not sure that keeping Harbaugh and Flacco are viable options for the future of the Baltimore Ravens. For me, I would do everything I could to take Josh Rosen, draft an offensive line around him, and have Rosen sit behind Flacco as he learned the NFL and as the offensive line developed. With Ryan Jensen, Ronnie Stanley, and Alex Lewis on the roster, there are pieces in place for a strong offensive line. Defensively, I would find a more aggressive coordinator who keeps it simple. We know that Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, and Brandon Carr are capable of lining up across from their man and flat out playing on any given Sunday. We know CJ Mosley and Brandon Williams can anchor a front seven. Why not find a coordinator who runs a one gap scheme and is willing to put faith into the secondary by having them man up with the receiver across from them and break their will with strong press coverage that suffocates?

I may be entirely wrong in what I want and it may blow up in my face if I were allowed to have my way. All I do know at this point is that I am tired of the same old same old and just want change.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I agree, something has to change.

Side note: Did Hill look good when he replaced Webb? I missed most of the game.

I think Harbaugh and Flacco are do or die next season. Harbaugh will be given his last chance and Joe’s cap hit significantly drops so it makes it a lot easier to move on. I just don’t think we move on from either of them after this season.

Personally, I think if we draft Rosen, then it means Joe is no longer on the team. He just hasn’t played well and I think we’re going to continue to try to build a great team around who ever we draft at QB and just let him learn the game.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think Harbaugh and Flacco are do or die next season. Harbaugh will be given his last chance and Joe’s cap hit significantly drops so it makes it a lot easier to move on. I just don’t think we move on from either of them after this season.

Personally, I think if we draft Rosen, then it means Joe is no longer on the team. He just hasn’t played well and I think we’re going to continue to try to build a great team around who ever we draft at QB and just let him learn the game.
I really don't see a reason to give Harbaugh another season if the Ravens got a top 10 pick this year, which seems to be the course that they are on.

I really don't see a reason to give Harbaugh another season if the Ravens got a top 10 pick this year, which seems to be the course that they are on.
Oh I certainly agree with you that he shouldn’t if that’s the case, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. Usually, before a HC gets fired, you usually hear stuff from the locker room, former players and even the media take shots at the HC. You just don’t hear that, I personally think that the players and front office still believe in Harbaugh and usually a HC gets fired when he loses his locker room and I don’t think that has happened yet.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Oh I certainly agree with you that he shouldn’t if that’s the case, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen, I just don’t think we’re going to make the move to fire him.
I think they will fire him if they not only miss the playoffs, but have a top 10 pick. That's a top 10 pick two of the last three years and missing playoffs four of the last five. We make fun of the Bengals for continuing their faith in Marvin Lewis through seasons like that. We'd be naive to not question the Ravens FO if they kept Harbaugh if they got another top 10 pick.

I think they will fire him if they not only miss the playoffs, but have a top 10 pick. That's a top 10 pick two of the last three years and missing playoffs four of the last five. We make fun of the Bengals for continuing their faith in Marvin Lewis through seasons like that. We'd be naive to not question the Ravens FO if they kept Harbaugh if they got another top 10 pick.
I edited my post a little bit late but I don’t think Harbaugh has lost his locker room, if rumor were to hit that the Ravens were considering to fire him, then I think that there would be numerous players who would back him up immediately. The stages for Harbaugh’s firing just hasn’t started yet IMO.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I edited my post a little bit late but I don’t think Harbaugh has lost his locker room, if rumor were to hit that the Ravens were considering to fire him, then I think that there would be numerous players who would back him up immediately. The stages for Harbaugh’s firing just hasn’t started yet IMO.
Do we think Andy Reid ever lost the locker room? I think he's probably one of the most beloved figures in the entire NFL.

I don't think losing a locker room is a precursor to getting fired. His results are just not up to the Ravens standards.

Do we think Andy Reid ever lost the locker room? I think he's probably one of the most beloved figures in the entire NFL.

I don't think losing a locker room is a precursor to getting fired. His results are just not up to the Ravens standards.
Oh he definitely lost his locker room, I remember when there was a story out that Namdi Osumough would eat lunch in his car because he didn’t want to be around his teammates. I think there was numerous stories out there about them having horrible chemistry and I think DeSean Jackson was running into a lot of issues with his teammates and it was very overt, he was not hiding it.

I just haven’t seen that here, everyone has stuck together and there just has not seem to be any issues with chemistry here. I personally think a lot of people will vauche for Harbaugh.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Oh he definitely lost his locker room, I remember when there was a story out that Namdi Osumough would eat lunch in his car because he didn’t want to be around his teammates. I think there was numerous stories out there about them having horrible chemistry and I think DeSean Jackson was running into a lot of issues with his teammates and it was very overt, he was not hiding it.

I just haven’t seen that here, everyone has stuck together and there just has not seem to be any issues with chemistry here. I personally think a lot of people will vauche for Harbaugh.
Do you have a link to the Asomuagha story? I think he would have been unhappy because Castillo used them in a zone heavy scheme when he was a press heavy corner to a T. I also don't put too much stock into Desean Jackson because he was considered a major cancer for his entire career in Philli.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
We wasted couple years already. Should have been dealt with after 2015.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
We wasted couple years already. Should have been dealt with after 2015.
After 2015, I could give him the benefit of the doubt. You had just come off a divisional round playoff appearance and had a lot of injuries. But then 2016 brought more poor play and 2017 is much of the same. Can't really take too much more if I'm Biscotti.

Do you have a link to the Asomuagha story? I think he would have been unhappy because Castillo used them in a zone heavy scheme when he was a press heavy corner to a T. I also don't put too much stock into Desean Jackson because he was considered a major cancer for his entire career in Philli.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8991862/nnamdi-asomugha-eat-rest-philadelphia-eagles-report

It came from a former player who wasn’t a media member, so it could be legit that it was another teammate who said that.

As far as DeSean goes, he definitely did have issues there but man, that season he would literally take every opportunity to take a shot at his teammates. I think Mike Wallace was a guy who had locker room issues but he has been humble here. I think one thing we can all praise Harbaugh for is that he knows how to keep guys together.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree. Until Harbaugh loses the locker room, he won't be fired. I do believe that Marty will be fired, duh, and Pees will possibly be fired as well. He will be placed on the hot seat immediately.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8991862/nnamdi-asomugha-eat-rest-philadelphia-eagles-report

It came from a former player who wasn’t a media member, so it could be legit that it was another teammate who said that.

As far as DeSean goes, he definitely did have issues there but man, that season he would literally take every opportunity to take a shot at his teammates. I think Mike Wallace was a guy who had locker room issues but he has been humble here. I think one thing we can all praise Harbaugh for is that he knows how to keep guys together.
Interesting... Yeah, not really surprised wth Asomugha eating in the car with how bad Castillo was for that defense. Him and Jim Washburn really managed to mess up the dream team badly.

I think Jackson would be doing that here in Baltimore this season or in 2015. He just seems like that type of person.

Interesting... Yeah, not really surprised wth Asomugha eating in the car with how bad Castillo was for that defense. Him and Jim Washburn really managed to mess up the dream team badly.

I think Jackson would be doing that here in Baltimore this season or in 2015. He just seems like that type of person.
I don’t know, under Harbaugh watch there just has been a lot of people like that here. One guy to keep that comes to mind is Jameel McClain but it’s just that there are so few guys who act in that manor here.