• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Three First Round Talents in 2020 Draft- EDC is a Genius

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've really been impressed all year with the play of our first three picks from the past draft. I've been watching the game film from Baldy the past few weeks, and Madubuike has secretly been doing an amazing job with what he is asked to do. Yes, all the rage was about McPhee in this past game, and rightfully so, but damn Madubuike was doing great, throwing people around too even on the McPhee highlights/analysis clips.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
ive been on the madubuike train since before we drafted him - one of the most "my guys" ive had in a draft and i was absolutely ecstatic when we picked him

He could be a poor man's Aaron Donald, which means Pro Bowl player, as Donald is an all-time great player. Mad could be Geno Atkins/Sheldon Richardson caliber.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He could be a poor man's Aaron Donald, which means Pro Bowl player, as Donald is an all-time great player. Mad could be Geno Atkins/Sheldon Richardson caliber.

I think it would be unfair to compare him to guys who've come before - let him carve out his own path

he's unlike anyone the ravens have ever had - the only comparison ive ever made of him was to haloti ngata purely based on their freakish athleticism and the jersey number

i think you could tell he was gonna be good with the way some of the vets latched onto him in training camp and the way the defence seemed to get hyped whenever he made a play on defence

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it would be unfair to compare him to guys who've come before - let him carve out his own path

he's unlike anyone the ravens have ever had - the only comparison ive ever made of him was to haloti ngata purely based on their freakish athleticism and the jersey number

i think you could tell he was gonna be good with the way some of the vets latched onto him in training camp and the way the defence seemed to get hyped whenever he made a play on defence

Having Wolfe, Campbell and Williams to show him the way is perfect for his development. I'm sure he's learning a lot about technique and training habits from them all. And the comparisons are more about play style/talent level than saying he's exactly like them. I can't see the Ngata comps at all. Ngata was much bigger, while Madubuike is faster

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Having Wolfe, Campbell and Williams to show him the way is perfect for his development. I'm sure he's learning a lot about technique and training habits from them all. And the comparisons are more about play style/talent level than saying he's exactly like them. I can't see the Ngata comps at all. Ngata was much bigger, while Madubuike is faster

that's why the comparison i made was purely about having a defensive tackle with freakish athleticism for their respective size (and that was where the comparison ended)

i guess more generally when i evaluate i hate forcing comps - especially when it comes to the draft - if there's an obvious one i'll maybe point it out or use it but mostly i dont like comps in draft evaluations at all

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
ive been on the madubuike train since before we drafted him - one of the most "my guys" ive had in a draft and i was absolutely ecstatic when we picked him
you've been talking about him since January or early February. Don't be so modest.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's why the comparison i made was purely about having a defensive tackle with freakish athleticism for their respective size (and that was where the comparison ended)

i guess more generally when i evaluate i hate forcing comps - especially when it comes to the draft - if there's an obvious one i'll maybe point it out or use it but mostly i dont like comps in draft evaluations at all
he's definitely the best DT the ravens have drafted since Ngata and it's not even close.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Madubuike was one of my favorite players in this draft, I was so hype when we got him IN THE THIRD ROUND! He’s an absolute freak, so physically dominant, such violent hands, so quick laterally, I definitely felt like we found “our guy” at DT when we picked him, and now I’m hoping like hell we find guys to pair with him, he’s well on his way to being a star 3 down DL, I’d love to see us add another DT on day 2, I’m loving the idea of building from the inside out on the front seven

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I honestly hadn’t heard about him until the draft itself. I’m just curious, going back to film on him, highlights of him, hell even scouting reports... why did he drop so far??

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Madubuike was one of my favorite players in this draft, I was so hype when we got him IN THE THIRD ROUND! He’s an absolute freak, so physically dominant, such violent hands, so quick laterally, I definitely felt like we found “our guy” at DT when we picked him, and now I’m hoping like hell we find guys to pair with him, he’s well on his way to being a star 3 down DL, I’d love to see us add another DT on day 2, I’m loving the idea of building from the inside out on the front seven

i know right - in the penultimate mock draft i did i had us taking him at the end of the 1st round - to get him at the 71st pick is ridiculous value

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I honestly hadn’t heard about him until the draft itself. I’m just curious, going back to film on him, highlights of him, hell even scouting reports... why did he drop so far??

honestly not sure - he's got shorter arms and i think some may have looked at his body type and called him a 2-down guy but his film said otherwise

there was a 2nd tier of defensive linemen that was going to start going sometime at the top of the 2nd and last all the way to the end of the 3rd but I thought he was clearly the best of that tier and would be maybe the 1st or 2nd guy but 3 or 4 guys went ahead of him and there was a run at other positions that allowed him to fall to us

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
honestly not sure - he's got shorter arms and i think some may have looked at his body type and called him a 2-down guy but his film said otherwise

there was a 2nd tier of defensive linemen that was going to start going sometime at the top of the 2nd and last all the way to the end of the 3rd but I thought he was clearly the best of that tier and would be maybe the 1st or 2nd guy but 3 or 4 guys went ahead of him and there was a run at other positions that allowed him to fall to us

His arms actually aren't even that short to be honest. They are 33.5" which is pretty solid for IDL players

rossihunter2

Staff Member
His arms actually aren't even that short to be honest. They are 33.5" which is pretty solid for IDL players

and more to the point - he uses his hands better than 90% of the defensive line prospects i've seen coming out in recent drafts

i saw him struggle with some offensive linemen who had good length and could extend but for the most part he would counteract that by disengaging and hand-fighting to re-establish himself

i do think that with his tape, if he had the height/length of derrick brown or javon kinlaw he'd have been taken in the 1st round

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
and more to the point - he uses his hands better than 90% of the defensive line prospects i've seen coming out in recent drafts

i saw him struggle with some offensive linemen who had good length and could extend but for the most part he would counteract that by disengaging and hand-fighting to re-establish himself

i do think that with his tape, if he had the height/length of derrick brown or javon kinlaw he'd have been taken in the 1st round

Haven't teams learned from Aaron Donald that height isn't the end all, be all of the position? You'd think so, but I guess teams get stuck in one mode of thinking no matter what

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Haven't teams learned from Aaron Donald that height isn't the end all, be all of the position? You'd think so, but I guess teams get stuck in one mode of thinking no matter what

i had 6 DL in the top 32 players in the last draft - only 2 were taken in the 1st round - 2 of them made it into the 3rd round

obviously my evaluations are not the be-all-end-all but i find it a pretty striking difference of opinion

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
i had 6 DL in the top 32 players in the last draft - only 2 were taken in the 1st round - 2 of them made it into the 3rd round

obviously my evaluations are not the be-all-end-all but i find it a pretty striking difference of opinion

For sure; oh well, I'm not complaining lol