• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

I Don't See Much Hope in the Short-Medium Term...Here's My Idea

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've been looking at our situation closely over the past few days. I don't trust our FO to make the moves to give us an identity. We are currently needing

1: A new QB of the future/present
2: A real star quality RB
3: More offensive line QUALITY ( sorry, Alex Lewis doesn't make it much better and yanda is 34 soon)
4: An allround EDGE OLB that can set the edge and rush the passer at a very high level. Suggs is declining
5: an ILB that isn't a liability next to CJ who has shown his ceiling which is Good but not the best of the bunch.
6: A star WR and a reliable 2nd
7: TE playmaker

What we have?

1: 2 Good starting DT/NT in B.williams and M.Pierce
2: Excellent seconday with more players coming back next year from injury
3: Exciting find in Alex collins
4: Tucker and Koch
5: Ronnie Stanley

What do we do this offseason?
What i would do

Cut Webb
Cut Suggs
Cut Carr (post june)
Cut Weddle (post june)
Cut McLellan

We'd have around 23 million in cap not counting the guys we want to retain.

Ask Flacco to give us a flat out Paycut. Enough to give us around 6 million more in cap. he's stolen from us enough.

1: Retain Jensen. Should be affordable.

2: A.Norwell in FA - Would make our Line Stanley, Norwell, Jensen, Yanda, RT ( be it draft or howard/lewis)
My worry is that this FO actually think Lewis is good. He's MEH.

3: J.Landry- Security Blanket, just knows how to play

4: Kevin Minter ILB/ Solid player and better than who we have next to CJ. Should be affordable

I think we will have the 5th-7th pick in the draft

Draft: Minkah Fitzpatrick
Round 2: OT
Round 3: WR
Round 4: OLB/DE ( need to hit on a gem here)
Round 4: TE

D
NT : M. Pierce
DT : B. Williams
DE: Whoever earns it
OLB: T. WIlliams
OLB: M.Judon
ILB: Cj Mosely
ILB: K.Minter
CB: M.Humphrey
CB:J.Smith
SCB: J.Hill/T.Young/M.Canady
SS: T.Jefferson
FS: M.Fitzpatrick

O

QB: J.Fluccko
RB: Alex Collins/K.Dixon
FB: Pat Ricard
LT: Ronnie Stanley
LG: A.Norwell
C.Ryan Jensen
RG: M.Yanda
RT: A.Lewis/A.Howard/ 2nd round Draft pick
TE: Nick Boyle
TE: 4th Round Draft pick
WR1: Jarvis Landry
WR2: 3rd Round Draft pick ( get someone at PFF to make the pick for the FO)
WR3: J.Maclin

K and P returner: Tim White. ( we needed this guy)

Is this even possible though? Some players (looking at you JOE) need to help the team. If Joe gives us some extra cap ( no not another extension nonsense), he'll show that he actually cares.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i see you cutting carr and im not sure why - all that does is make the secondary depth which is our biggest strength at this point in to a potential weakness at outside corner especially with how injury prone jimmy is - how much would our defence have been gashed this year on the drives jimmy had to take off and how bad would we have been destroyed when inevitably jimmy had to miss a game because hes had to play through injury - this all happens without carr tbh

i have no problem with paying a decent corner 6.5 million (cap hit) next year

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i see you cutting carr and im not sure why - all that does is make the secondary depth which is our biggest strength at this point in to a potential weakness at outside corner especially with how injury prone jimmy is - how much would our defence have been gashed this year on the drives jimmy had to take off and how bad would we have been destroyed when inevitably jimmy had to miss a game because hes had to play through injury - this all happens without carr tbh

i have no problem with paying a decent corner 6.5 million (cap hit) next year

We need cap and secondary will have numbers back next year. Carr will also be 32. Listen if we had enough cap i'd love to keep him but he isn't a long term situation. We need to use that money in other areas.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Suggs may be declining, but he's still a solid player and I think we can keep him for depth (he doesn't need to play every down at this point in his career). Also, I'm on the fence about Weddle because he's still a good player and I think he'd be willing to take a pay cut at the very least. We should definitely be drafting another safety though regardless.

Other than that, those look like solid moves. I would love to have Landry on the team and it's clear that we need a better ILB to pair with Mosley since Correa and Onwuasor are not really working out (probably one of the leading causes as to why our run D stinks this year).

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
We can't keep on restructuring the same contracts again and again. need to cut the old guys and get as much as we can. Suggs, Weddle, Webb and carr are not the future. Suggs is a fucking warrior and the only guy that seems to know what he's doing on D..but even he with age is missing tackles he normaly makes. He's 35..it's time to say thank you and goodbye.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm glad you finally saw the light with our first pick but even at 5-7, I don't think we have a shot at Fitzpatrick. Only couple QBs might go before him. Maybe Barkley.

On the Suggs subject - I'd really hate to see him cut. I think I'd be willing to carry him to well deserved retirement, he'd probably be able to contribute as well, if we just let young guys play and put fresh Sizzle to wreck havoc on passing downs. Could partly compensate for his cap hit by offloading some young dead weight that's eating roster spots and doesn't do anything of note.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
We can't keep on restructuring the same contracts again and again. need to cut the old guys and get as much as we can. Suggs, Weddle, Webb and carr are not the future. Suggs is a fucking warrior and the only guy that seems to know what he's doing on D..but even he with age is missing tackles he normaly makes. He's 35..it's time to say thank you and goodbye.

fam, you need to chill on the Suggs talk. Everybody else is fair game.

Don't do this lol

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've been looking at our situation closely over the past few days. I don't trust our FO to make the moves to give us an identity. We are currently needing

1: A new QB of the future/present
2: A real star quality RB
3: More offensive line QUALITY ( sorry, Alex Lewis doesn't make it much better and yanda is 34 soon)
4: An allround EDGE OLB that can set the edge and rush the passer at a very high level. Suggs is declining
5: an ILB that isn't a liability next to CJ who has shown his ceiling which is Good but not the best of the bunch.
6: A star WR and a reliable 2nd
7: TE playmaker

What we have?

1: 2 Good starting DT/NT in B.williams and M.Pierce
2: Excellent seconday with more players coming back next year from injury
3: Exciting find in Alex collins
4: Tucker and Koch
5: Ronnie Stanley

What do we do this offseason?
What i would do

Cut Webb
Cut Suggs
Cut Carr (post june)
Cut Weddle (post june)
Cut McLellan

We'd have around 23 million in cap not counting the guys we want to retain.

Ask Flacco to give us a flat out Paycut. Enough to give us around 6 million more in cap. he's stolen from us enough.

1: Retain Jensen. Should be affordable.

2: A.Norwell in FA - Would make our Line Stanley, Norwell, Jensen, Yanda, RT ( be it draft or howard/lewis)
My worry is that this FO actually think Lewis is good. He's MEH.

3: J.Landry- Security Blanket, just knows how to play

4: Kevin Minter ILB/ Solid player and better than who we have next to CJ. Should be affordable

I think we will have the 5th-7th pick in the draft

Draft: Minkah Fitzpatrick
Round 2: OT
Round 3: WR
Round 4: OLB/DE ( need to hit on a gem here)
Round 4: TE

D
NT : M. Pierce
DT : B. Williams
DE: Whoever earns it
OLB: T. WIlliams
OLB: M.Judon
ILB: Cj Mosely
ILB: K.Minter
CB: M.Humphrey
CB:J.Smith
SCB: J.Hill/T.Young/M.Canady
SS: T.Jefferson
FS: M.Fitzpatrick

O

QB: J.Fluccko
RB: Alex Collins/K.Dixon
FB: Pat Ricard
LT: Ronnie Stanley
LG: A.Norwell
C.Ryan Jensen
RG: M.Yanda
RT: A.Lewis/A.Howard/ 2nd round Draft pick
TE: Nick Boyle
TE: 4th Round Draft pick
WR1: Jarvis Landry
WR2: 3rd Round Draft pick ( get someone at PFF to make the pick for the FO)
WR3: J.Maclin

K and P returner: Tim White. ( we needed this guy)

Is this even possible though? Some players (looking at you JOE) need to help the team. If Joe gives us some extra cap ( no not another extension nonsense), he'll show that he actually cares.

this is cool and all, but who will be calling the plays still? Marty?

What we desperately need is an OC that will work with Flacco and get the best out of him by playing to his strengths and allowing him to make the decisions just like Kubiak did for him.

I miss Kubiak....

Kubiak come back....I love you

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm glad you finally saw the light with our first pick but even at 5-7, I don't think we have a shot at Fitzpatrick. Only couple QBs might go before him. Maybe Barkley.

On the Suggs subject - I'd really hate to see him cut. I think I'd be willing to carry him to well deserved retirement, he'd probably be able to contribute as well, if we just let young guys play and put fresh Sizzle to wreck havoc on passing downs. Could partly compensate for his cap hit by offloading some young dead weight that's eating roster spots and doesn't do anything of note.

He didn't have the best game last game but other than that he's played well imo. Would like to see him retire when he chooses to do so.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is cool and all, but who will be calling the plays still? Marty?

What we desperately need is an OC that will work with Flacco and get the best out of him by playing to his strengths and allowing him to make the decisions just like Kubiak did for him.

I miss Kubiak....

Kubiak come back....I love you

We really need to go to the old Oakland attack with running and the deep ball. Joe's just not good at timing. Just all the injuries on the oline is whats killing us.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more change of pace with hurryups and shotguns and also running out of it.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

I thin Minkah is fair at 5. Teams are always looking at Pass Rush and QBs early. He'd be the 3rd non QB player picked. Barkely will SURELY go ahead of him. leaving only 1 more possible place before our selection.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Having Suggs only come in on passing downs would be a mistake. He’s too good at setting the edge, maybe not as good as before, but he still good.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
He didn't have the best game last game but other than that he's played well imo. Would like to see him retire when he chooses to do so.

Same here. As long as he's still a solid player then it would be nice to keep him until he decides to hang it up. He's also been the heart and soul of this defense too since Ray and Ed left.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Suggs has been credited with one missed tackle. He's done well on tape in this facet, has been his usual self in backside pursuit as well in my eyes. He also has the 4th highest grade in run defense among all edge rushers, a relevant tidbit given that the original post puts faith in PFF.

I will state that their drafting portion has its pros and cons. Since the product is inherently designed to grade on end results, their assessments on technique is still a work in progress, although they have made strides in that department. I refer to their board often, especially since they are more likely than other sources to point out prospects whom aren't netting as much national attention. That being said, they can overlook players' translatable traits and rule more in favor of success against collegiate counterparts. I know that I've privately made this example perhaps a bit too often, but in reviewing Deion Jones' tape, I had him pegged as one of my favorite LBs in the class. He had negative general marks via PFF for his final season at LSU and in their seven round mock, not one of their members selected him. Jones literally went undrafted. His teammate De'Vondre Campbell was also undrafted in their mock, but that was more understandable. I took both in the 2nd and 6th rounds in the FM respectively, but Campbell's tape far more resembled a project with a low floor but a solid ceiling, so his current breakout was more difficult to anticipate. They do deserve credit for their critique of Darron Lee, which I thought was spot on at the time as I didn't have near a 1st round grade on Lee personally. But those scenarios basically encompass the positives and negatives. I personally wouldn't place all of my chips in their draft rankings. Definitely a viable source, but the longstanding point of checking the tape against their assessments goes double for their draft breakdowns.

RayRayRaven

Veteran

jettisoning viable veterans paves a path to mediocrity. we are living it.

fam, you need to chill on the Suggs talk. Everybody else is fair game.

Don't do this lol

agreed

Having Suggs only come in on passing downs would be a mistake. He’s too good at setting the edge, maybe not as good as before, but he still good.

agreed.

we have a front office that really can't establish who is and who is not a viable vet.