• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Brutal, The Bad and The Ugly

Biggest Offseason need?

• Total voters

JAAM

Hall of Famer
How long must we defend a guy who nearly every 4 or so weeks, especially in playoff games, has the "worst throw ever from him"?? At some point we have to realize this guy will never be a bonafide star PASSING Qb.. he's a great player overall right now, but he will need to become a far better passer when he starts slipping even a little bit when it comes to athleticism
I’m just sick of “hiding” him. Let him go out there and make his own audibles, get out of this pistol shit that won’t win anything, see if he can consistently read defenses and make all of the throws then I’m fine with extending him

JAAM

Hall of Famer
We made so many mistakes in the offseason that led to this. Yeah that loss to the Titans stung enough to improve the defense but man again, we ignored the offense. Losing a HOF Guard like Yanda and not doing anything to replace him? Fluker was alright but we keep drafting mid round guys expecting them to blossom into starters. Do you know who the last IOL was we drafted in the first round? Ben Grubbs way back in 2007.

Our offense may scare defenses but man our passing game doesn't. Again expecting mid round guys to develop into all pros like Boykin and is unacceptable. Once teams shut down Brown and Andrews, who else is there that scares them and can spread defenses? NOBODY. That was our downfall, yeah Josh Allen improved because he has Stefon Diggs to catch his passes and make big plays. Lamar doesn't have that guy, it's amazing how year after year we waste good defenses because of a lack of any kind of offense. Just so frustrating.
Should’ve given Houston what they wanted to land Nuk. Instead we sign a 4.7 guy in Dez that can’t get open to save his life.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I’m just sick of “hiding” him. Let him go out there and make his own audibles, get out of this pistol shit that won’t win anything, see if he can consistently read defenses and make all of the throws then I’m fine with extending him

We’re 3 years in and won’t put the offense into his hands. It’s crazy.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
It’s hilarious watching Allen and Baker making reads at the line, yet Lamar doesn’t do it just like Flacco didn’t.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
We made so many mistakes in the offseason that led to this. Yeah that loss to the Titans stung enough to improve the defense but man again, we ignored the offense. Losing a HOF Guard like Yanda and not doing anything to replace him? Fluker was alright but we keep drafting mid round guys expecting them to blossom into starters. Do you know who the last IOL was we drafted in the first round? Ben Grubbs way back in 2007.

Our offense may scare defenses but man our passing game doesn't. Again expecting mid round guys to develop into all pros like Boykin and is unacceptable. Once teams shut down Brown and Andrews, who else is there that scares them and can spread defenses? NOBODY. That was our downfall, yeah Josh Allen improved because he has Stefon Diggs to catch his passes and make big plays. Lamar doesn't have that guy, it's amazing how year after year we waste good defenses because of a lack of any kind of offense. Just so frustrating.

True Diggs has helped improve Josh Allen but Allen also has crazy arm strength to make ALL the throws. Something Lamar does not have, which limits his potential and the plays called

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Here's the thing that is very controversial with those who drink the purple Kool-Aid, especially the LJ8 Kool-Aid.... he CAN'T!! I have no idea when people will realize that. Maybe never. But the honest to God truth usually comes from unbiased people who study us time and time again and consistently say the exact same things about whatever it is about us. And they ALL say he can't do it. And we see it

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Simba

Staff Member

In all fairness, I do think we need to get Lamar to a place where he doesn’t try to put too much on himself. Get him some help and let him develop some trust, and then the reigns can be loosened. Right now this passing game in particular is just too devoid of talent and he tries to do it all himself.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Here's the thing that is very controversial with those who drink the purple Kool-Aid, especially the LJ8 Kool-Aid.... he CAN'T!! I have no idea when people will realize that. Maybe never. But the honest to God truth usually comes from unbiased people who study us time and time again and consistently say the exact same things about whatever it is about us. And they ALL say he can't do it. And we see it
Not disagreeing with you, but why do you think he can’t?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not disagreeing with you, but why do you think he can’t?

I've seen everything I need to see, and others who I hold in very high esteem around the league have seen everything they need to see, in saying he can't do it. At this point, perhaps the better question would be when has he shown that he possesses the ability to do it?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How long must we defend a guy who nearly every 4 or so weeks, especially in playoff games, has the "worst throw ever from him"?? At some point we have to realize this guy will never be a bonafide star PASSING Qb.. he's a great player overall right now, but he will need to become a far better passer when he starts slipping even a little bit when it comes to athleticism

i mean this wasn't his worst throw ever and probably wasn't his worst decision ever

that kind of play happens to even the best qbs occasionally - pretty sure we got ryan tannehill the same way in the week 11 game and im confident ive seen it happen to big ben multiple times over the years (and whatever we think of him he's going to the HoF)

it was backbreaking and flipped the game but the moment is magnifying what people think of the actual throw and read - it was a poor read but it wasn't the worst throw or decision he's made in his short career - he just got caught locking in and lost some periphery in a zone and the defender read his eyes perfectly

now the throw on the corner to boykin against the titans could possible be his worst throw for sure - was an awful throw

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We got out coached again...I mean Lamar is still young, just a kid.. the coaches have to be in his ear and say no mistakes here run the ball if u have to. That pick was stupid. What happened to the run game?? The bills beat us. Let that sink in . Lol I'm falling back from this team the staff is incompetent.
WFT are looking for fans and not to far away. You can go to this board www.extremeskins.com. bye bye.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rig
WFT are looking for fans and not to far away. You can go to this board www.extremeskins.com. bye bye.

Very sorry to see that there are those who try to tell people they aren't true "fans" if they don't drink the kool-aid and think everything done by everybody is perfect and in tip-top shape. I am sorry

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Rig

Very sorry to see that there are those who try to tell people they aren't true "fans" if they don't drink the kool-aid and think everything done by everybody is perfect and in tip-top shape. I am sorry
Sure, but it gets old when all you do is shit on Harbaugh and are never around when things are going well

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s definitely a combination of things. Lamar can’t sit in a pocket forever and wait for some of these average at best WRs try to work their way open. But at the same time, the scheme doesn’t exactly allow for WRs to get open either. Things take too long to develop for both reasons.

After these last couple of years, I still can’t believe we have no bunch formation or slant concepts. Let Lamar get the ball out fast and work the middle of the field. That’s where he works best, and we seemingly have so few options to develop those concepts.

But again, gonna give Roman the benefit of the doubt because the personnel probably can’t get any of that done with their skill set. Not sure I’ve seen a WR group that gets off the line as slow as we do.

i think the problem i have evaluating roman is that the personnel at receiver is so bad that it's hard to know whether the scheme has anything to do with it - there were some things when kurt warner was looking at it where you could point at the coach and ask "what the hell are you thinking" but even more plays where you looked and go there's no way that's what they called/no way that's what you've been coached to do and it's clearly somewhat on the players

but that does leave you with the problem of not quite knowing what's working (if anything) - do you scrap the whole thing and just start again? possibly...

what's clear is that the passing scheme and coordinating is not positively impacting the team right now - the personnel maybe tanking it to make it look irredeemable but it's safe to say that the passing game is not elevating the personnel we have right now - so many of our most important plays in the playoffs (especially in the passing game) have come on broken plays where lamar's created magic mostly with hollywood but sometimes with andrews too but our in phase/in rhythm passing attack has offered basically nothing against teams that seem to have a good understanding of how to slow down this running game - bills were the first team to slow us down in 2019 and the Titans obviously refined that in the playoffs last year and have continued to stifle this offence in both matchups in 2020

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
It’s hilarious watching Allen and Baker making reads at the line, yet Lamar doesn’t do it just like Flacco didn’t.

.......is that on the player or the coaching? Our track record with the inability to develop a WR and the consistency of what we see with what our QB's do/read at the line make me think it's coaching. Joe won a SB when a coaching change was made... just saying. I agree, it's puzzling, to say the least.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Harbaugh said at halftime that the wind was affecting the snapping. Mekari did very well the 2nd half of the season, I'm certainly hoping Harbaugh wasn't just covering up for him with that comment.

i mean some of those snaps looked way off before the wind had a chance to affect them

remember he gave skura some excuses too and then a week later skura did it again and we benched him

mekari has been good snapping down the stretch but im not sure it can be excused by the weather

Simba

Staff Member
i mean some of those snaps looked way off before the wind had a chance to affect them

remember he gave skura some excuses too and then a week later skura did it again and we benched him

mekari has been good snapping down the stretch but im not sure it can be excused by the weather

It was clearly in his head after the first one. Not sure it can even really be debated. He messed up and then didn’t recover mentally.