• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I also want to note when asked about needing to "recruit" WR to come and play here because they may get less targets I loved John's answer this isn't college football he doesn't need to recruit if you want to come play for a winning organization and win football games and be apart of a team you will come play here if not not we don't want you and we look forward to lining up against you I was like damn okay John

That kinda shit is why no matter what I say about harbaugh in the heat of the moment, I still rock with him.
And that's why a number of free agents we have signed speak glowingly about our organization (especially on defense). His response that 419 posted is the VERY reason why I didn't want either AB or OBJ. I don't think either of him fit that Raven mindset that Harbs is looking for.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
And that's why a number of free agents we have signed speak glowingly about our organization (especially on defense). His response that 419 posted is the VERY reason why I didn't want either AB or OBJ. I don't think either of him fit that Raven mindset that Harbs is looking for.

Still amazing how much better Baker was after OBJ went out with injury. Just goes to show how much a personality like OBJ disrupts a team chemistry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
For sure man. I definitely agree, I just think we would be so much superior in this scheme they seem intent on keeping if we had elite interior blockers. If we were mauling people over, we would run right through everybody. Yanda was a legend, but we have to remember he was on his own on the interior and he was on his way out because of age. Imagine him in his prime, with at least a solid C and an elite LG.... damnnnn

I was Seahawk at one time... don't remember my first one.. I was in high school at the time man. Good memories
No disagreement there, an elite interior lineman would be of serious help to us.

Seahawk! I remember you. So good to see you back. Great ones, for sure.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
No disagreement there, an elite interior lineman would be of serious help to us.

Seahawk! I remember you. So good to see you back. Great ones, for sure.

Yes Sir! Good to be reunited

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I expected Harbaugh to say something like this: "Yeah we've watched/heard what the media said. It's always good to get some feedback in whether you like it or not. I'll absolutely look into hiring an extra guy if he can help us". Remember this wasn't Colin, Skip or Stephen A. this were legitimate analysts and player who know the game and were at the top at some point during their respective career. No need to shut it down as quick as he did. Why does Harbaugh categorically eliminate the possibility to hire someone new? I didn't expect Harbaugh to announce any move at all.

With that being said our issues on offense are not just because of Roman/his scheme or his playcalling. It starts with WRs who don't run/execute the routes the right way or understand the concept their running. What they're supposed to do when facing man or zone. Or they don't run routes with enough or too much depth. Idk what Culley teaches them or if they just can't execute. Hollywood did this thing and played like a soulja, but the rest...
Then Lamar not reading what the defense does or ignoring his checkdowns. This is on Roman and Lamar. Sometimes it's just better to get 4 yards than a sack. Lamar had to make a play off-script way too often.
Running backs: what's the point of staying in protection if there's nobody to block. Get out and try to be a checkdown option for Lamar. It's okay to misread what the defense does on occasion, but this happened multiple times every game.
Roman has to stop running these highschool plays. You're not fooling anybody this late into the season. Some concepts are just atrocious and some are actually great. Lamar didn't execute a couple of plays that we're great calls, but don't look good on TV because Lamar took a sack or threw to the wrong guy.
Last but not least: Boykin is a great blocker for a WR. But he looks lost at times running routes and understanding what the defense does.

This is where I am too. I feel like we have seen this OFF before. I was worried from the start this year when the passing was definitely the focus early in games. There were enough calls early where you could tell they were almost forcing the pass. I reject that.

The reason I reject that forced passing approach... because we saw the dividends last year of DEF's being off balance because of Lamar's ability to run. We still want that as part of the OFF, but not as an afterthought in trying to develop a passing game.... oh, if he can't find the open guy he can always run... that's a BS plan. But I think that's what we saw a lot of this year. You can't tell guys, WR's, just to do something because that's their position. I maintain this boils down to a coaching problem. I will blame a player when appropriate, but when you get to this level it's because you've demonstrated skill above others in your class at your position.

The reason players excelled last year was because of the uncertainty that Lamar provided. Were the rest of the guys coached up sufficiently to adapt to the NFL catching up with the latest thing? No, imo. Or they aren't as good as we thought. It's one or the other or a combination of both. But as bad as WR's were situationally, I'll err on the coaching.

Example... Hollywood lines up on the outside for a go route fading to the sideline. The TENN game we lost, he is running the route shading to the sideline the whole way. The bucket Lamar has to deliver the ball toward the sideline is shrinking. Hollywood doesn't hold his line from where he started or try to move it inside in any way. He shades to the sideline all the way. Imagine Lamar trying to throw into a 10foot x 10foot pool at about 15 yards down the field... that's a big area toward the sideline Lamar can throw to where if Hollywood had held his line or pushed it into the middle of the field he'd be able to run under to have a good chance at the catch. Instead, what happened was Hollywood ran the route shading toward the sideline the entire time. Out 15 yards the bucket is 10feet by 10 feet, but a few more yards down Hollywood has given so much space that the Lamar is throwing into a Homer Bucket. That pass was on the money, in the sense it couldn't have been anywhere else for Hollywood to have a chance other than out of bounds for an incompletion. Result..... TENN defender had position - - it was given to him - - he made the INT and that changed the game.

To me, that is coaching. Hollywood was not finding himself in those sideline route situations later in the season. So either that play stopped being called, he realized his mistake in ceding field and didn't have the body to do anything about it, or the coaches saw he wasn't able or prepared for it. Who knows...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I expected Harbaugh to say something like this: "Yeah we've watched/heard what the media said. It's always good to get some feedback in whether you like it or not. I'll absolutely look into hiring an extra guy if he can help us". Remember this wasn't Colin, Skip or Stephen A. this were legitimate analysts and player who know the game and were at the top at some point during their respective career. No need to shut it down as quick as he did. Why does Harbaugh categorically eliminate the possibility to hire someone new? I didn't expect Harbaugh to announce any move at all.

With that being said our issues on offense are not just because of Roman/his scheme or his playcalling. It starts with WRs who don't run/execute the routes the right way or understand the concept their running. What they're supposed to do when facing man or zone. Or they don't run routes with enough or too much depth. Idk what Culley teaches them or if they just can't execute. Hollywood did this thing and played like a soulja, but the rest...
Then Lamar not reading what the defense does or ignoring his checkdowns. This is on Roman and Lamar. Sometimes it's just better to get 4 yards than a sack. Lamar had to make a play off-script way too often.
Running backs: what's the point of staying in protection if there's nobody to block. Get out and try to be a checkdown option for Lamar. It's okay to misread what the defense does on occasion, but this happened multiple times every game.
Roman has to stop running these highschool plays. You're not fooling anybody this late into the season. Some concepts are just atrocious and some are actually great. Lamar didn't execute a couple of plays that we're great calls, but don't look good on TV because Lamar took a sack or threw to the wrong guy.
Last but not least: Boykin is a great blocker for a WR. But he looks lost at times running routes and understanding what the defense does.

he’s never going to say anything like that though - he’s never gonna put anyone on blast in the season ending presser - and in your scenario he’s basically damning everyone involved in the passing game lol

it’s just unrealistic

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also want to note when asked about needing to "recruit" WR to come and play here because they may get less targets I loved John's answer this isn't college football he doesn't need to recruit if you want to come play for a winning organization and win football games and be apart of a team you will come play here if not not we don't want you and we look forward to lining up against you I was like damn okay John

It’s not been mentioned much but it definitely helps our “recruiting” that Lamar is beloved around the league - WRs may not get many targets here but they would get to play with Lamar and the players seem to love him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Correction just Humphries. But it’s
7v7 drills... a lot of guys look like all stars. Not sure what he is trying to
prove other than he can still whine with the best of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the point he’s trying to make is about Lamar as a passer and him still having juice as a receiver

and also the types of plays we were running

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The writing was on the wall for Mark Ingram. But damn if I won't miss his infectious confidence and uplifting attitude. Everyone could use a friend like Ingram. I hope he goes somewhere where he can compete for snaps.

Ingram is one of the best dudes this team has ever had. HIs leadership and presence will definitely be missed, but I wish him nothing but the best.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Still don't get why we didn't use him more but honestly I think most of The Ravens receivers weren't used to their strengths consistently.

1st game he had 5 catches mostly on screens and then for some reason poof.....gone. Never seen it again.