• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I hope the value is there and the players are willing to accept. I think the way forward for this team ,unfortunately, will be other teams aging cap casualties. More bandaids to keep us afloat as a playoff contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swear if we keep going the bandaid route...even Flacco was spoiled with Boldin, Torrey, Jacoby, Rice and Pitta. He never had a piss poor supporting cast of WRs like Lamar has had. Shit I’d take Aiken over Boykin, Dez and Snead. Flacco’s 2012 crew could be similar to Robinson, Hollywood, (jury is still out on Duv), Dobbins and Mark. Flacco also had a better arm though, and had Kubiak. It’s quite clear that Roman needs to go and we need a more balanced offense, and Lamar needs a #1 like Boldin/Steve Smith. You can set running records during the regular season all you want, but that doesn’t mean shit when a good team in the postseason shuts it down and we can’t pass our way out of trouble.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
sidenote: EDC admitted that he likes doing trades because they're "fun"
Well shit, this ain't a surprise. I will not waver on this: this man EDC has goons ready to do his bidding. There is NO WAY you can look at that man's face and not come to the conclusion that he's a mob boss of some sort. The fact that his wife is on Twitter going full Ravens fan gives him the perfect cover.

That being said, let's bring it back!

FlippantMintyCoqui-max-1mb.gif

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well shit, this ain't a surprise. I will not waver on this: this man EDC has goons ready to do his bidding. There is NO WAY you can look at that man's face and not come to the conclusion that he's a mob boss of some sort. The fact that his wife is on Twitter going full Ravens fan gives him the perfect cover.

That being said, let's bring it back!

FlippantMintyCoqui-max-1mb.gif
Honestly though... there’s something very unsettling about decosta lol, way too much of a “boss” aura about him lol

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly though... there’s something very unsettling about decosta lol, way too much of a “boss” aura about him lol

DaBossta strong armed Ozzie and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hope the value is there and the players are willing to accept. I think the way forward for this team ,unfortunately, will be other teams aging cap casualties. More bandaids to keep us afloat as a playoff contender.

there's gonna be a lot more cap casualties and guys available than in other years though because of the salary cap squeeze - nearly half the league is over the cap right now and a quarter are more than 20m over the cap in terms of effective cap space)

there's gonna be guys on the market available this year who never would normally be available - and nearly half the league won't be able to really bid on them either - it gives the jags, colts, jets and pats a massive step-up in free agency to be able to be the bullies on players they want but it also potentially creates a free agent market that's depressed and so there might be the ability to get decent players cheaper than usual this year

i think a lot of teams are gonna suck in 2021

Simba

Staff Member
there's gonna be a lot more cap casualties and guys available than in other years though because of the salary cap squeeze - nearly half the league is over the cap right now and a quarter are more than 20m over the cap in terms of effective cap space)

there's gonna be guys on the market available this year who never would normally be available - and nearly half the league won't be able to really bid on them either - it gives the jags, colts, jets and pats a massive step-up in free agency to be able to be the bullies on players they want but it also potentially creates a free agent market that's depressed and so there might be the ability to get decent players cheaper than usual this year

i think a lot of teams are gonna suck in 2021

And that plays well in the comp pick game for us with our affinity for cap casualties. Could see both Judon and Ngakoue walking while we pick up a guy that got cut so we can try to reinvest in the pass rush (or elsewhere) the following year, either via draft or even a trade.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I swear if we keep going the bandaid route...even Flacco was spoiled with Boldin, Torrey, Jacoby, Rice and Pitta. He never had a piss poor supporting cast of WRs like Lamar has had. Shit I’d take Aiken over Boykin, Dez and Snead. Flacco’s 2012 crew could be similar to Robinson, Hollywood, (jury is still out on Duv), Dobbins and Mark. Flacco also had a better arm though, and had Kubiak. It’s quite clear that Roman needs to go and we need a more balanced offense, and Lamar needs a #1 like Boldin/Steve Smith. You can set running records during the regular season all you want, but that doesn’t mean shit when a good team in the postseason shuts it down and we can’t pass our way out of trouble.

Unfortunately I think we’re stuck with Roman for another year thanks to Covid. Maybe to much to ask bringing in a new guy with no off-season.

We beat up the little guys no problems in this system but struggle with quality teams. Including playoffs we went 4-5 vs 2020 playoff teams. That’s direct result of scheme, talent at the skill position , and Lamar’s inability to make all the throws.

I miss Joe’s arm talent. Guy had a cannon and a tight spiral. Wasn’t until he started throwing everything off his back foot that he really started to decline.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And that plays well in the comp pick game for us with our affinity for cap casualties. Could see both Judon and Ngakoue walking while we pick up a guy that got cut so we can try to reinvest in the pass rush (or elsewhere) the following year, either via draft or even a trade.

100% - we're the best at acquiring comp picks in the league and that was despite going through a period of drafts where we found some talent but not a ton of top-notch guys

EDC's been good at signing guys we want to keep early which lowers the number of guys of quality hitting free agency but next offseason is for sure going to be interesting with Andrews, Orlando, Elliott, Bozeman, Averett, Calais Campbell, Brandon Williams, Nick Boyle all in a contract year this year

and we dont know what's going to happen this offseason but we've got Bowser, Ngakoue, Judon, Skura, Snead hitting the market who all might qualify for comp picks

and we'll see what happens after 2022 but it looks like we'll be in with a chance of a long-streak of years with a high-level and high volume of comp picks

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also important to point out that EDC specifically talking about free agents coming here etc.

talks about how players have always wanted to play for this organisation because of the success here, but also because of the legendary players we've had here and guys have wanted to play with them

and specifically players have wanted to play with Lamar

now maybe it's different with a receiver but Lamar has the pull around the league that makes guys want to play with him just because they want to be in his orbit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Obviously it's not talked about much but the other reason you want to upgrade the OL as the number 1 need this offseason is that we're gonna start losing these guys

skura's gone this year
bozeman and orlando are both free agents next year
Mekari and Powers are both free agents the year after that

even if we retain a couple of them we need to replace the ones that leave - we've got TCC and Phillips and Bredeson waiting in the wings but no guarantee those guys can (or should) start for us

especially given this draft class is supposed to be chock full of talent across all 3 OL positions (worth taking into account only 2 IOL were drafted in the first 2 rounds in 2020 - and one of them spent the year at tackle) - there's gonna be a lot more than that this year lol

and while tackle in 2020 was pretty loaded - lots of draftniks are calling this year's class obscenely deep at the top lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This would be the Ozzie move, decosta feels much less frugal in resigning his current players that he sees as key.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Fam I have used it a few times on the board, especially when he makes a trade.

What's mine is now yours.

DABOSSTA
I appreciate you giving me the go ahead but I was gonna use it regardless. A sick name like just becomes public domain

I don't get why Roman needs to go. The playoff losses suck and the aim is to win it all, but making the playoffs doesn't just happen by chance. We got there thanks to Roman's phenomenal running game, and I am 100% sure we would miss it immediately if it went away. What we need is to evolve the passing game enough so that when teams sell out to stop the run like the Bills and Titans the last two years (I give a pass for the Chargers loss because Lamar was a rookie and the scheme was implemented on the fly), we can switch it up and make them respect the pass. We don't suddenly have to become a top 10 passing offense, we just need to evolve enough that we have an efficient plan B that kills defences that go one dimensional. Now, if Roman is an obstacle to that - because he CAN'T develop the pass game and won't accept help, for example, THEN he needs to go. But it doesn't make sense to me to blow it all up and start over at this point.

short thread...

He makes a reasonable point but he's simplified it a little bit I think. Winston also had Evans and Godwin but didn't make the playoffs last year. Rodgers had Adams last season too (or was he injured..?) and couldn't play at this level. The real story is Diggs and Allen, and I think the lesson is that you need both QB and WR, rather than claiming that WR is the be all and end all. But it's certainly true that good QBs still need guys to catch the ball, so let's get some for Lamar!

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
He makes a reasonable point but he's simplified it a little bit I think. Winston also had Evans and Godwin but didn't make the playoffs last year. Rodgers had Adams last season too (or was he injured..?) and couldn't play at this level. The real story is Diggs and Allen, and I think the lesson is that you need both QB and WR, rather than claiming that WR is the be all and end all. But it's certainly true that good QBs still need guys to catch the ball, so let's get some for Lamar!
Lamar has a below average interior offensive line that really cost us this year in the playoffs. He does need that big ,physical receiver like Anquan Boldin. Gotta have it.