• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm glad that they hired people outside of the box, eg. non re-tread coaches who have been there, done that, got fired. These guys are brilliant, young, and hungry for success in this league.

These hires have EDC written all over it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
These hires have EDC written all over it.

idk about that - zrebiec said before any of the hires happened that Harbs was on the look out for fresh ideas and was probably going to be looking outside the organisation for at least some of the hires (turns out all of them lol) - we've got a reputation for hiring mostly internally but apparently it was one of his desires to freshen up the staff

the poaching of our staff gave him that opportunity

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
idk about that - zrebiec said before any of the hires happened that Harbs was on the look out for fresh ideas and was probably going to be looking outside the organisation for at least some of the hires (turns out all of them lol) - we've got a reputation for hiring mostly internally but apparently it was one of his desires to freshen up the staff

the poaching of our staff gave him that opportunity
that's very interesting and thanks for bringing this up. I totally missed that from Zrebiec.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m so excited for Keith Williams. Could very well end up being our OC.

Simba

Staff Member
I’m so excited for Keith Williams. Could very well end up being our OC.

I wouldn’t go that far. That’s not really his thing. He’s a technique guy, not some sort of offensive mastermind. More consultant than designer.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wouldn’t go that far. That’s not really his thing. He’s a technique guy, not some sort of offensive mastermind. More consultant than designer.
Like jim Caldwell, qb whisperer but not really known as a strong playcaller

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is the biggest step into the 21st century maybe ever for the ravens lol. Love how we’re approaching the passing game this offseason and knowing lamars character and ethics I think we’re gonna see dividends

this is why i think the stuff about firing Roman was way too premature - yes we can look at his history of fizzling out - but you can also look at his history and see him not getting many chances to progress his offence either...

i just look at what he was able to do (with the rest of the staff) in the 2019 offseason and create over that entire offseason the best running game in NFL history and my question was what's actually stopping him and the staff from doing that again just for the passing game this time

now partly last time around that was about R&D with all sorts of college coaches and even high school coaches and consulting with paul johnson etc.

i wonder if these 2 hires are part of the start of that process (tbf we dont actually know when they were hired - just that they were announced a couple of days ago)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
this is why i think the stuff about firing Roman was way too premature - yes we can look at his history of fizzling out - but you can also look at his history and see him not getting many chances to progress his offence either...

i just look at what he was able to do (with the rest of the staff) in the 2019 offseason and create over that entire offseason the best running game in NFL history and my question was what's actually stopping him and the staff from doing that again just for the passing game this time

now partly last time around that was about R&D with all sorts of college coaches and even high school coaches and consulting with paul johnson etc.

i wonder if these 2 hires are part of the start of that process (tbf we dont actually know when they were hired - just that they were announced a couple of days ago)
Yeah I got on board with that same train of thought pretty easily. Yeah you can maybe make Lamar a better passer, but what’s the end result for that? It could be average overall, but with this system we are doing something special, like historic, let’s try fine tuning and building off of that, because it’s proven to be good for 10+ wins more often than not. Really the goal here is to just get better situationally, have something we can execute with ease when we are in situational football, develop schemes to counter certain looks that are giving you fits on the ground, just situational flexibility. If Roman and these new guys can develop that, then we got something really special

Might also be our new way of getting 3rd round comps.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Might also be our new way of getting 3rd round comps.

they’d have to get hired as HC - not often a positional coach that’s not a QB coach is going to get HC opportunities - Culley was at least a coordinator as well as a WR coach

but unless roman or wink leaves it’s probably unlikely we can rely on getting 3rd rounders

but it’s nice that you get 2 - so we’ve already got a 2022 3rd round comp pick

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I grew up in East TN, so the Vols were always on on Saturday's. I watched Tee as a college QB, and I watched him as a coach. He was fantastic. A very smart guy who rallies the team he's working with. He was the one who won the National Championship, not even Peyton pulled that one off.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's *** so dont get too stuck on this but...

it really doesn't seem to be about the money if this is true...
but maybe it's a Hurst situation where we realise that the player doesn't want to be here and we try and make sure we recoup as much value as we can while facilitating that for the player

the value would have to be great though - otherwise we're just being robbed of a really good RT

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

but maybe it's a Hurst situation where we realise that the player doesn't want to be here and we try and make sure we recoup as much value as we can while facilitating that for the player

the value would have to be great though - otherwise we're just being robbed of a really good RT

Ok is it true that our worst case scenario oline wise next year would be Stanley, Bozeman, Mekari, Powers, Phillips if OBJ leaves?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
yeah that's probably the worst case (if everyone's healthy) - but obviously stanley's coming back from injury and phillips is not a tackle so... not ideal at all lol

Yep Stanley off an injury, Phillips isn't a tackle, and center is still really iffy. I don't think we're dead if he leaves, but we gotta try and limit the holes to one position on the line and not 2 or 3. If we can get a quality center and just use Tes to help the right side we will be ok. But we're going to be playing Russian roulette with the tackle depth we have.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep Stanley off an injury, Phillips isn't a tackle, and center is still really iffy. I don't think we're dead if he leaves, but we gotta try and limit the holes to one position on the line and not 2 or 3. If we can get a quality center and just use Tes to help the right side we will be ok. But we're going to be playing Russian roulette with the tackle depth we have.

which goes against the mission statement of the offseason personnel-wise - both harbs and EDC were adamant that the biggest place to improve was the OL - and we'd suddenly be trading away our 2nd best OL at the position we have the least/worst depth

if orlando does go you basically have to put tackle on day 1 or day 2 in the draft in ink

Simba

Staff Member

I still feel like this is "no shit" reporting rather than anything substantial. I'm sure there have been many calls and lots of interest. And if the Ravens get an offer to their liking, they'll take it. Just not sure there's anything new here.