• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Panthers are a team who haven’t had a starting caliber LT in a very long time, do y’all think they would trade dj Moore for Zeus straight up?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I seriously hope a regular offseason saves tyre, but I worry about it, that man has lead feet for sure and I just don’t see a NFL OT in him
Yeah true. I'm in a holding pattern on Tyre. We'll see what he becomes.
tbf to Tyre he was a raw prospect in the first place and then had a stilted offseason where he had to not only transition from LT to RG but was also then thrust into the starting lineup (we always criticise Harbs for going with the vets over the better rookie but in this case it looked like he went with his pet project rookie over the less exciting but probably better right now options already on the roster) - Tyre had a lot of learning to do and we threw him into the fire and then he spent the last half of the season thrown back in at tackle... i dont have any problem with Tyre not having developed the way we wanted because he had an incredibly steep learning curve and was never given any training wheels at any point lol

for what it's worth Bredeson was snapping and playing C during training camp this year - i think only Powers at this point is a pure 1 position only player on our IOL (maybe TCC too but idk yet)

and i'm with you 100% just draft OL - there's not many tackle prospects at the top of the class who ive watched so far who aren't fast processors and who don't have the physical tools to go with them that would allow them to move inside (and some of them project better inside anyway) - but we're aided by the flexibility and versatility of the guys we've got on the roster already that unless we're drafting 2-3 new starters on the OL that we'll be able to shuffle guys around to get our best starting 5 on the field even if the rookies are not position flexible (although a lot of the class projects well at multiple spots)
I totally forgot about TCC. I couldn't remember if Bredeson took C snaps or not (thought so but wasn't sure) but you jogged that part of my memory back, so thanks lol. I could definitely see that as an option. I also wonder if the Ravens knew about Brown Jr possibly being disgruntled & wanting a trade when we made the whole "upgrade the OL" statement. I feel the same way regarding OL. Just draft a guy and see where you can make him fit if he's very good. I don't want to get cute and reach for a C because a G is better but not a super big need (not that it isn't because it kind of is) because you can always find a way to make the OL work & move guys around where they may fit better.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Panthers are a team who haven’t had a starting caliber LT in a very long time, do y’all think they would trade dj Moore for Zeus straight up?
Seems like an eh move for us. It would need to be a bit more than that straight up for me. I like DJ Moore but we'd need a pick from that as well or swap a pick at least.

Reactions: cdp

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is something thats been brought up awhile ago and also very recently by others. Bozeman was a center in college. I understand he's been great at LG but should we be considering him at C? Would Tyree be much more comfortable at LG as opposed to RG? There is a lot to figure out here.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah true. I'm in a holding pattern on Tyre. We'll see what he becomes.

I totally forgot about TCC. I couldn't remember if Bredeson took C snaps or not (thought so but wasn't sure) but you jogged that part of my memory back, so thanks lol. I could definitely see that as an option. I also wonder if the Ravens knew about Brown Jr possibly being disgruntled & wanting a trade when we made the whole "upgrade the OL" statement. I feel the same way regarding OL. Just draft a guy and see where you can make him fit if he's very good. I don't want to get cute and reach for a C because a G is better but not a super big need (not that it isn't because it kind of is) because you can always find a way to make the OL work & move guys around where they may fit better.

Bozeman and Mekari offer so much extra value just because of their positional flexibility - there's some high quality OL who may be available all the way through day and day 2 and we shouldn't be hamstrung by OT vs G vs C - even moreso if Orlando's gone - although i will reiterate if Orlando's gone we have to come out of day 2 having drafted at least 1 and possibly 2 OL - and given the strength of the class that doesnt seem particularly far from the realms of possibility

Simba

Staff Member

this would be much more like the kind of WR signing i'd expect us to potentially make this offseason - probably depreciated value and a cap casualty

He was never worth what the Raiders paid him but he's absolutely the type of guy I'd take a swing at for a couple million now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was never worth what the Raiders paid him but he's absolutely the type of guy I'd take a swing at for a couple million now.

and he's more likely to take that sort of deal - albeit he just as easily might get a similar deal elsewhere and take it for higher passing volume

then again he can look at our roster and think he's got a legitimate opportunity to win a starting job even in a lower volume passing attack...

but yeah - he's only gonna want a 1 (or 2) year deal so that he can hit the market again but his value's gonna be depreciated both because he's coming off an injury and because of the cap squeeze - probably gonna have to entice with some performance incentives (probably play-time related ones like jimmy smith gets)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/orlando-brown-ravens-trade-price-colts-chargers-steelers

Means nothing, other than speculation about his trade value is all over the place. Some say he’s worth a pair of day 2 picks, some say he’s worth a first round SWAP, some say he’s worth an absolute haul.

this shits driving me crazy lol I’m tryna see how much draft capital we’re gonna have

if it's gonna happen i'd prefer it happened soon just because i dont want the whole situation dragging out for ages

hadn't even considered the colts but that looks like one of the most realistic landing spots - they've got a later 1st round pick and cap space - they dont have any extra picks though which means that they might not be so keen on giving up more than just a 1 (still think we need 2 picks) and i dont think they're going to be getting any decent comp picks either

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/orlando-brown-ravens-trade-price-colts-chargers-steelers

Means nothing, other than speculation about his trade value is all over the place. Some say he’s worth a pair of day 2 picks, some say he’s worth a first round SWAP, some say he’s worth an absolute haul.

this shits driving me crazy lol I’m tryna see how much draft capital we’re gonna have

Because the thing is, it is VERY rare that you have a young franchise LT on a rookie deal up for a trade, like this is a very rare occurrence. Tunsil was the last one, but Brown has a better pedigree than Tunsil did, and its honestly not close, so people are wondering whether Houston overpaid or whether that is the legitimate going rate or somewhere in the middle.

Simba

Staff Member
if it's gonna happen i'd prefer it happened soon just because i dont want the whole situation dragging out for ages

hadn't even considered the colts but that looks like one of the most realistic landing spots - they've got a later 1st round pick and cap space - they dont have any extra picks though which means that they might not be so keen on giving up more than just a 1 (still think we need 2 picks) and i dont think they're going to be getting any decent comp picks either

Colts are also in the QB market, though, which could really hamper their chances. Sounds like somehow Wentz is going to garner a 1 and they are firmly in the mix of that deal.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Because the thing is, it is VERY rare that you have a young franchise LT on a rookie deal up for a trade, like this is a very rare occurrence. Tunsil was the last one, but Brown has a better pedigree than Tunsil did, and its honestly not close, so people are wondering whether Houston overpaid or whether that is the legitimate going rate or somewhere in the middle.
Yeah this is definitely rare, and for the ravens of all teams to have this happen, makes me believe we absolutely need to take advantage.

that’s why I’ve been on board with trading literally since the first tweet, it feels groundbreaking and I think any growing pains involved in this process would be well worth the potential franchise changing gains, a team as good as the ravens has no business being able to gain such a sudden infusion of young cheap talent.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah this is definitely rare, and for the ravens of all teams to have this happen, makes me believe we absolutely need to take advantage.

that’s why I’ve been on board with trading literally since the first tweet, it feels groundbreaking and I think any growing pains involved in this process would be well worth the potential franchise changing gains, a team as good as the ravens has no business being able to gain such a sudden infusion of young cheap talent.

would be 2 draft classes in a row after going 14-2 where we get more picks than we should of much higher value than we should have

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
would be 2 draft classes in a row after going 14-2 where we get more picks than we should of much higher value than we should have
Exactly, we are maneuvering like a mf, I will take the lumps and gladly flip a third rounder into a first and more. We turned Hayden hurst into jk dobbins, we can turn a third round pick into a first and more, like how do you even consider a one year rental of a good RT

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly, we are maneuvering like a mf, I will take the lumps and gladly flip a third rounder into a first and more. We turned Hayden hurst into jk dobbins, we can turn a third round pick into a first and more, like how do you even consider a one year rental of a good RT

with Hurst it made a ton of sense because he was already surplus to requirements (those kinds of deals we may see more often) - this is a bit different because it's been sprung on us by Brown without any replacements behind him to step in - obviously it requires you continue to draft well but it's not out of the realm of possibility that we see this happen a few more times over EDC's tenure with 3rd year players going into contract years with no possibility of re-signing and recouping more than the comp they might give when they leave in free agency

but for that to work consistently you can't have dud drafts and you have to have depth across your roster

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
with Hurst it made a ton of sense because he was already surplus to requirements (those kinds of deals we may see more often) - this is a bit different because it's been sprung on us by Brown without any replacements behind him to step in - obviously it requires you continue to draft well but it's not out of the realm of possibility that we see this happen a few more times over EDC's tenure with 3rd year players going into contract years with no possibility of re-signing and recouping more than the comp they might give when they leave in free agency

but for that to work consistently you can't have dud drafts and you have to have depth across your roster
This is what I’m saying, I think this may be a trend and folks should get used to it lol