• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Ravens RB Coach, Matt Weiss has been hired to be Michigan's QB coach. Another coach lost this season.

I know John and Jim are brothers but come on. Go poach KC's staff Jim. Help us out lol. Or at least agree he becomes our QB coach when Michigan finally gives him the boot lol.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Shit. I really liked Weiss. He had such a good rapport with Dobbins. Good for him though. Hope he further progresses in his career. Seemed like a cool dude

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Don’t know how true it is but the Eagles are apparently expected to trade or cut Kelce

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Don’t know how true it is but the Eagles are apparently expected to trade or cut Kelce
I believe it. I think the same could happen with Ertz. Eagles aren't doing too well with their cap situation. Not sure how much he'll command.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I believe it. I think the same could happen with Ertz. Eagles aren't doing too well with their cap situation. Not sure how much he'll command.
He’s a definite SIIE in my opinion. I think Linsley is out of our price range

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Craig Ver Steeg taking over from Weiss as RBs coach - got to say im a tad underwhelmed by that lol - dude's been on staff for like 15 years and only had about 3 years where he took a position group - QB coach in 2011, Senior OL coach in 2013 and was an RB assistant coach in 2019 before being promoted in 2020 - apparently has worked with wide receivers too

seems to be the guy who just works somewhere on the offence each year which isn't a bad thing - just, as an outsider, it's unexpected that he'd take full responsibility over an entire position... just seems odd after 13 years working with the offence

but i guess we're not really in need of new ideas at RB lol - more of the same please...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well cutting or trading him costs more than keeping him pre-June 1, so if he's cut or traded, it'll have to be with a post-June 1 designation, so it won't solve their short term cap problems.

So basically its unlikely he's traded before June 1st in my eyes.

And while I think he's a good player, I'm not bending over backwards to pay a premium to sign a 34 year old Center.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here's how I would expect the Eagles to tackle the salary cap in the short term:

Assuming a $185M cap (which I guess could be as low a $180M), they'll need to create ~$38M in cap space to follow the rule of 51 for the offseason.

Obvious cuts:
Zach Ertz: ~$4.7M
Marquise Goodwin: $4.5M

Those two would bring them down to close to $30M over.
There are quite literally a large number of players they could do restructures/extensions with to create space:
Fletcher Cox - two years left on his deal, due $15M in base salary for 2021 with a nearly $23.9M cap hit. They could easily take another year or two onto his deal and slash his cap hit down quite a bit. Could easily clear probably $8-10M for him alone.
Brandon Graham - prime extension candidate. In final year of his deal, with a $13M salary and a $17.9M cap hit. Same as Cox... likely to tack a year or two onto his deal, and it could easily save $8-10M or more.
Lane Johnson - the world's easiest restructure candidate. Take his $9.5M salary and turn like $8M of it into a bonus and spread it out over the five years remaining. Can save $6-7M easily there.
Darius Slay - similar to Johnson. Has a $12M base salary with three years left. Convert to a bonus, spread it out. Can save at least $3-4M.
They could slap another year or two on Javon Hargrave's deal and spread his $12.75M salary out longer.
Derek Barnett is owed $10M on his 5th year option. He's a prime extension candidate at a lower cap number too.

The Eagles have a lot of ways to create space and retain most of the players they want. Its just going to really involve pushing cap into future years. Given they won't have an expensive QB on the roster until probably at least 2022 or 2023, that's probably not a huge issue.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well cutting or trading him costs more than keeping him pre-June 1, so if he's cut or traded, it'll have to be with a post-June 1 designation, so it won't solve their short term cap problems.

So basically its unlikely he's traded before June 1st in my eyes.

And while I think he's a good player, I'm not bending over backwards to pay a premium to sign a 34 year old Center.

just looked at his deal - you're 100% right he's one of the few players not going anywhere

Simba

Staff Member
Jeff's latest article against pointing to OL being a priority in FA. Said they'd like to upgrade at C and RG, and obviously RT is up in the air currently. If they do move on from Brown, drafting 3 starter quality OL is basically impossible, so you need to go the FA route.

Also mentioned that neither Judon or Ngakoue are sounding likely to return, but that could help them be more aggressive in FA with one 3rd round comp pick already on the books (Culley).

Simba

Staff Member
Also curious to see what they do with all of our OL if we were to hit OL as heavy in FA and the draft as you might need to

LT - Stanley, Smith
LG - Bozeman, Bredeson
C - FA/Pick, Mekari, Colon-Castillo
RG - FA/Pick, Powers, Phillips
RT - Brown/FA/Pick

Still super light at T but so heavy on the interior in this scenario where you invest heavily. Gotta wonder if they try to flip a guy or two into a late round pick or a depth swap. I'm all about depth but that's excessive.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also curious to see what they do with all of our OL if we were to hit OL as heavy in FA and the draft as you might need to

LT - Stanley, Smith
LG - Bozeman, Bredeson
C - FA/Pick, Mekari, Colon-Castillo
RG - FA/Pick, Powers, Phillips
RT - Brown/FA/Pick

Still super light at T but so heavy on the interior in this scenario where you invest heavily. Gotta wonder if they try to flip a guy or two into a late round pick or a depth swap. I'm all about depth but that's excessive.

who's smith? am i going crazy and forgetting someone obvious?

i mean im always biased towards the draft in general but there's a ton of talent in the top 2 rounds this year - a lot of it is tackles but there's only a few who i don't think could viable transitioning inside

still a lot of guys to watch but i've already got 16 guys on the OL who i'd happily take by the beginning of the 3rd round

and multiple guys after that i like too

Simba

Staff Member
who's smith? am i going crazy and forgetting someone obvious?

i mean im always biased towards the draft in general but there's a ton of talent in the top 2 rounds this year - a lot of it is tackles but there's only a few who i don't think could viable transitioning inside

still a lot of guys to watch but i've already got 16 guys on the OL who i'd happily take by the beginning of the 3rd round

and multiple guys after that i like too

Andre Smith. Opted out last year. Would prefer to see him never wear a Ravens jersey because he's garbage, but he's currently the only backup T guy we have on the roster so I felt inclined to include him although I don't think he'll be returning.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Andre Smith. Opted out last year. Would prefer to see him never wear a Ravens jersey because he's garbage, but he's currently the only backup T guy we have on the roster so I felt inclined to include him although I don't think he'll be returning.

think we've got jordan mills as well - but again not someone we hope to see on the field lol

completely forgot about smith haha