• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Powers loses the job and that's because Tyree or Cleveland are playing well or at least decently, than that's great. We out we thought was best out there and they're doing well enough. I just don't want to see Powers on the bench IF he's the best man for the job just because of some weird personality quirk or whatever it is.
Well if Phillips is spending enough time at Guard in camp that he beats out both Powers and Cleveland, then a) I'd be highly disappointed in both of those guys and b) I have zero clue who our swing tackle is.

Given the guys we already have on the roster (Cleveland, Powers, and Bredeson), I wouldn't expect Phillips to even be in the running for the LG spot. I would expect him to work almost exclusively at Tackle in camp, which is especially beneficial if Stanley misses a good chunk of it.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well if Phillips is spending enough time at Guard in camp that he beats out both Powers and Cleveland, then a) I'd be highly disappointed in both of those guys and b) I have zero clue who our swing tackle is.

Given the guys we already have on the roster (Cleveland, Powers, and Bredeson), I wouldn't expect Phillips to even be in the running for the LG spot. I would expect him to work almost exclusively at Tackle in camp, which is especially beneficial if Stanley misses a good chunk of it.

That was sort of my original thought, but Rossi seemed to think he'd be in the LG competition. We should probably get an answer somewhat soon.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m just going to say it because it’s been bothering me for a while: I don’t think our current group of pass catchers is enough to get it done THIS year. You’re counting on two rookies who could be busts. I don’t know what to think of Duv yet as an actual WR. Sammy could see the trainer’s table more often than not, and Hollywood is inconsistent.

I thought Sammy was a bit of a desperation signing like Ryan Grant since we tried hard to grab JuJu. Just looking at our current corps, I don’t see us keeping up with other high octane offenses in the playoffs.

I wish we had a couple of proven vets in the mix like Boldin and Torrey for Flacco during that SB run.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m just going to say it because it’s been bothering me for a while: I don’t think our current group of pass catchers is enough to get it done THIS year. You’re counting on two rookies who could be busts. I don’t know what to think of Duv yet as an actual WR. Sammy could see the trainer’s table more often than not, and Hollywood is inconsistent.

I thought Sammy was a bit of a desperation signing like Ryan Grant since we tried hard to grab JuJu. Just looking at our current corps, I don’t see us keeping up with other high octane offenses in the playoffs.

I wish we had a couple of proven vets in the mix like Boldin and Torrey for Flacco during that SB run.

JULIO!!!!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I think you’re discounting our run game and the Lamar effect a little too much. This team simply does not lean on receivers the way the other high powered offenses do, and if we’re in a shootout where we absolutely have to lean on a guy like Julio then honestly I won’t like our chances.

I think a trio of andrews, Hollywood, and Bateman will go a very long way

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

hard to compare Watkins to Grant. Grant was an expensive signing for the experience he had and Watkins was very inexpensive.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Not really all that concerned if it doesn't happen this year to be honest. Focus should be on getting a group of players Lamar can grow with, not flooding him with free agents every year and then rotating out.

Also would be hard to argue Torrey was a "proven, veteran" during the SB run. He was in his 2nd year, and he was wildly inconsistent (even more so than Hollywood) during those years.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not really all that concerned if it doesn't happen this year to be honest. Focus should be on getting a group of players Lamar can grow with, not flooding him with free agents every year and then rotating out.

Also would be hard to argue Torrey was a "proven, veteran" during the SB run. He was in his 2nd year, and he was wildly inconsistent (even more so than Hollywood) during those years.
People really be forgetting how often Torrey smith was shit on by the fans, all the times he lost the ball in air and missed a TD because of it lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
People really be forgetting how often Torrey smith was shit on by the fans, all the times he lost the ball in air and missed a TD because of it lol
Well I mean he was just a radically different type of receiver than what teams look for in today's game. He was about as inefficient as it comes. The SB year... he had 49 catches on 110 targets. That's borderline pathetic really. Like a catch rate below 50% is very difficult to achieve in today's game.

He wasn't a bad player, but I certainly wouldn't classify 2012 Torrey as a "dependable, veteran" option for Joe. Boldin was, and Pitta sort of was, but Torrey was not.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer

I'm confused at your first statement. What do you mean you're not concerned if it doesn't happen this year? You think Hollywood, Mark and Sammy can get it done?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I no longer consider Julio to be a #SIIE target. The energy isn't......resonating with me. I'm sure Brother @JAAM does still want him tho.
I'm not getting my hopes up, brother. But it would be nice to add one of the greatest WRs of all time to help Lamar develop even more as a passer and be a mentor to the younger WRs. But I don't see it happening.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm confused at your first statement. What do you mean you're not concerned if it doesn't happen this year? You think Hollywood, Mark and Sammy can get it done?

With the new guys they most definitely can. With our running game, hell

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Well I mean he was just a radically different type of receiver than what teams look for in today's game. He was about as inefficient as it comes. The SB year... he had 49 catches on 110 targets. That's borderline pathetic really. Like a catch rate below 50% is very difficult to achieve in today's game.

He wasn't a bad player, but I certainly wouldn't classify 2012 Torrey as a "dependable, veteran" option for Joe. Boldin was, and Pitta sort of was, but Torrey was not.
Hey, don't discount Torrey and those OPI's lol. But he was only in his second year during the Super Bowl run? Wow. I stand corrected.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
With the new guys they most definitely can. With our running game, hell
But do we trust Lamar and Roman enough to figure it out to get everyone involved? Lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I think you’re discounting our run game and the Lamar effect a little too much. This team simply does not lean on receivers the way the other high powered offenses do, and if we’re in a shootout where we absolutely have to lean on a guy like Julio then honestly I won’t like our chances.

I think a trio of andrews, Hollywood, and Bateman will go a very long way
I don't even trust the guys we have at the moment to compete in a shootout. And that's bound to happen at some point in the playoffs. We can be an historic running team all we want, but when they stack the box, Lamar's arm and his weapons still have a lot of question marks.