• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Marquise Brown Speaks Out Again

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really dont think its a big deal - all he said was that being number 1 in rushing and 30th in passing is not balanced - the implication being that they need to fix the passing game

but he's not actually calling anyone out (except the unit - which he is a part of)

maybe it grows into something but this seems like a pretty reasonable thing to say in a season-ending presser

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I agree I watched the presser it didn't seem toxic at all it's honestly just the truth. His interview was almost all positive he talked about Lamar being super motivated and himself. I also thought it was interesting he mentioned training with like as many offensive people as he could this offseason instead of just like himself and Lamar

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
To me, he's speaking up about how this offense needs to evolve. This is the start of frustration being shown, he is frustrated that the passing is not there. Sure he's willing to work at it, which is obviously good, but he also is speaking about how the offense needs to pass more and smarter. I believe Lamar is growing frustrated, hence his yelling at the sidelines seemingly every game. I believe other receivers feel the same. Hell, even JK was saying indirect comments about how he wasn't playing meaningful snaps until late in the season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If this frustrations grows into vast improvement into the passing game, then it's a very good thing. I saw the interview as well and agree it wasn't toxic.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Be careful on headlines from articles; they’re often taken out of context.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Be careful on headlines from articles; they’re often taken out of context.
no question about that. He was being very truthful and never called anyone out. Basically he knows he's part of the equation.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What exactly is one-dimensional, or not balanced? They aren't the same thing, or are they?

Here are the passing/rushing of each of the four remaining teams, plus the Ravens for comparison:

TBay: passes 63% of the time, and 76% of their total yards (6295) are from passing
GBay: passes 54% of the time, and 67% of their total yards (6417) are from passing
KCity: passes 61% of the time, and 74% of their total yards (6804) are from passing
Buff: passes 59% of the time, and 74% of their total yards (6509) are from passing
Balt: passes 42% of the time, and 49% of their total yards (5990) are from passing

Buccaneers
4th passing (4776), 28th rushing (1519)
76%/24%
626 attempts/369 rushes
63%/37%

Packers
11th passing (4299), 8th rushing (2118)
67%/33%
526 attempts/443 rushes
54%/46%

Chiefs
1st passing (5005), 16th rushing (1799)
74%/26%
630 attempts/403 rushes
61%/39%

Bills
3rd passing (4786), 20th rushing (1723)
74%/26%
595 attempts/411 rushes
59%/41%

Ravens
32nd passing (2919), 1st rushing (3071)
49%/51%
406 attempts/555 rushes
42%/58%

The Ravens might actually be the most balanced team in the NFL, everyone else is one dimensional. Thats not to say we don't need to improve but perspective of what the NFL is today is important.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What exactly is one-dimensional, or not balanced? They aren't the same thing, or are they?

Here are the passing/rushing of each of the four remaining teams, plus the Ravens for comparison:

TBay: passes 63% of the time, and 76% of their total yards (6295) are from passing
GBay: passes 54% of the time, and 67% of their total yards (6417) are from passing
KCity: passes 61% of the time, and 74% of their total yards (6804) are from passing
Buff: passes 59% of the time, and 74% of their total yards (6509) are from passing
Balt: passes 42% of the time, and 49% of their total yards (5990) are from passing

Buccaneers
4th passing (4776), 28th rushing (1519)
76%/24%
626 attempts/369 rushes
63%/37%

Packers
11th passing (4299), 8th rushing (2118)
67%/33%
526 attempts/443 rushes
54%/46%

Chiefs
1st passing (5005), 16th rushing (1799)
74%/26%
630 attempts/403 rushes
61%/39%

Bills
3rd passing (4786), 20th rushing (1723)
74%/26%
595 attempts/411 rushes
59%/41%

Ravens
32nd passing (2919), 1st rushing (3071)
49%/51%
406 attempts/555 rushes
42%/58%

The Ravens might actually be the most balanced team in the NFL, everyone else is one dimensional. Thats not to say we don't need to improve but perspective of what the NFL is today is important.

thanks for posting these stats

i think the clearest showing there of what the problem is regarding the ravens offence (in the modern day nfl)...
we were 32nd in passing and 1st in rushing (by some distance) and ran far more than we passed yet in terms of yardage output there's only 150 yards separating the league's best rushing attack from the league's worst passing attack

passing is king in the NFL - we thought we could buck the trend with historical efficiency in the running game but it's starker than ever looking at all those numbers that any gains in efficiency in the running game at this point are only going to lead to marginal gains - passing is inherently better and balance is probably an outdated concept at this point beyond teams just needing to respect the possibility that you might run the ball

running is not a wasted down in baltimore but for most teams it is - but just because it's not a wasted down doesn't mean we should be doing it all the time

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
thanks for posting these stats

i think the clearest showing there of what the problem is regarding the ravens offence (in the modern day nfl)...
we were 32nd in passing and 1st in rushing (by some distance) and ran far more than we passed yet in terms of yardage output there's only 150 yards separating the league's best rushing attack from the league's worst passing attack

passing is king in the NFL - we thought we could buck the trend with historical efficiency in the running game but it's starker than ever looking at all those numbers that any gains in efficiency in the running game at this point are only going to lead to marginal gains - passing is inherently better and balance is probably an outdated concept at this point beyond teams just needing to respect the possibility that you might run the ball

running is not a wasted down in baltimore but for most teams it is - but just because it's not a wasted down doesn't mean we should be doing it all the time
I remember when Reid was coach of the Eagles in the early days, maybe early 2000s, the media was on him for passing 60% of the time.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was just messing around on Next Gen Stats website, and saw Marquise was given an average of 7.5 yards of cushion at the LOS per snap, 2nd most in the league (Mooney had 7.6). You would think that playing quick pitch and catch with him would work? Easy gains to be had there?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Was just messing around on Next Gen Stats website, and saw Marquise was given an average of 7.5 yards of cushion at the LOS per snap, 2nd most in the league (Mooney had 7.6). You would think that playing quick pitch and catch with him would work? Easy gains to be had there?

when he went through his slump - those were the passes he was dropping - quick outs within the 5-10 yards

tbf he was still toasting guys who had cushion and guys who pressed him - he's been winning a lot of 1v1 matchups this year we just havent been getting him the ball (or he's been dropping it) otherwise i really do think we'd be thinking about him a little differently