• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Three Round Mock

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was a bit bored and decided to try one of these. I'm assuming the Ravens record is like 8-8 or 7-9, so it'll be around the middle of the round they get their picks, and I'm assuming that Flacco and Harbs get another season. Also, I still believe its better to give Flacco another season while improving the offense than it is to throw a rookie into the fire and hope he can carry the team.

Round 1: Martinas Rankin, G/T, Mississippi State

26_5286885.jpg

Just a rock solid lineman that has played well against stiff competition this season. The main thing I like about Rankin is his versatility. He was moved around a lot during spring practice (even playing center at one point) before settling in at LT. If the Ravens don't keep Howard, he's a day one starter at RT. If we do keep Howard another season, then Rankin is a day one starter at LG. And he gives us a competent backup LT in case anything happens to Stanley. Just all around a big improvement to our line.

Round 2: Auden Tate, WR, Florida State

B9324291115Z.1_20161015210442_000_GJ2G2GUAO.1-0.jpg

A very big receiver (6-5, 225) that plays like a very big receiver. He doesn't fear catching it in traffic, tracks the ball well, catches with his hands rather than his body, amazing body control, and will either win those 50-50 balls or make sure the DB doesn't win. He brings fire and physicality to our receiving corp. He's the guy you go to when you need that big catch, when you need that first down conversion, even if he has to drag a DB a few yards to get it.

Round 3: Ross Pierschbacher, G/C, Alabama

7664650.JPG

One of the better run blockers among guards and centers in college football, and is a big reason for Alabama's success on the ground. He has all the intangibles and tangibles you want in an interior lineman. Main ones being that he's tough as nails and will impose his will on defenders. Only weakness is that his pass blocking technique could use some work, but it's not bad and that can be ironed out. He's capable of being a day one starter at LG for us and can take over for Jensen if Jensen were to get hurt. Best case scenario in this draft scenario, we keep Howard who continues to play well, Rankins starts at LG, and Pierschbacher gives us a far, FAR better backup interior lineman than we've had in awhile. Or Rankins can start at RT and Pierschacher can start at LG.

I think the Ravens' offense has always been at its best when it was very physical. These guys can give us that physicality back, and let our offense impose its will on defenses.

Forgot about our 3rd comp pick:

Round 3: Marcus Allen, S, Penn State

hqdefault.jpg

As one of the hardest hitting safeties in college football Allen is an aggressive back end enforcer with plenty of range. He also has superb instincts. The only real knock on him is that he doesn't have great ball skills. Sure he'll bat at the pass, but don't expect many ints. Weddle is up there in age, and so is Webb. Allen would be a top tier special teamer and backup in year 1, and then can slide into the starting role after we move on from one of those two after the next season. He can also work as a safety/LB hybrid.

Last edited:

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Had to YouTube some Auden Tate after reading this. I like what I see. Body control and strong hands! What negatives makes him a 2nd rounder instead of a first?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Had to YouTube some Auden Tate after reading this. I like what I see. Body control and strong hands! What negatives makes him a 2nd rounder instead of a first?
The only potential negative is that he doesn't have the greatest top end speed. While it's not bad, he can be caught from behind. I think a lot of scouts will see him as a very good possession receiver. The problem is that this draft is loaded with WRs that can take any catch to the house for a TD (particularly Kirk, Ridley, and campbell). It's basically the same reason Boldin ended up being a second round receiver.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't like rankins considering how high we should be picking, but then again I haven't seen much of him. I would just highly prefer we find a blue chip player in round 1 rather than get a swing tackle who's just decent in multiple positions. Save the swing tackles for later rounds. Now if he's a KO caliber swing tackle then that's a different story, but you can't take any versatile OL and expect him to be KO.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The only potential negative is that he doesn't have the greatest top end speed. While it's not bad, he can be caught from behind. I think a lot of scouts will see him as a very good possession receiver. The problem is that this draft is loaded with WRs that can take any catch to the house for a TD (particularly Kirk, Ridley, and campbell). It's basically the same reason Boldin ended up being a second round receiver.
Boldin was a fifth or sixth rounder I believe. Definitely not second

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No, he was a 2nd rounder.
What the fuck??? You're right, what the hell. I SWORE he went in the sixth, like for years, I feel like I remember them talking about it on NFL network way back when he played for the cardinals... who tf was I confusing him with???

And no it's not AB. I'm dumbfounded right now... my minds playing tricks on me

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I love Auden Tate. I absolutely love him. He's one of my guys. He's a dog on the field. Love that pick.

I haven't seen a lot from Rankins and nothing from Pierschbacher. But if Rankins is what you say he is I like that approach. Could probably try to get another offensive weapon or add to the front seven but I get what you're trying to do here.

Interesting mock all around. Nice job.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That’s exactly why Bolden became a 2nd rounder and obviously the best from his draft class.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@RaineV1 we May have two 3rd rounders due to a pretty good chance we receive a 3rd round comp. you may want to add to your mock

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't like rankins considering how high we should be picking, but then again I haven't seen much of him. I would just highly prefer we find a blue chip player in round 1 rather than get a swing tackle who's just decent in multiple positions. Save the swing tackles for later rounds. Now if he's a KO caliber swing tackle then that's a different story, but you can't take any versatile OL and expect him to be KO.
I see us in the 12 to 16 range. As for Rankins, I do see him as a blue chip. I'd actually put him as the third or fourth best tackle in the upcoming draft. If we didn't have Stanley I'd want him as our LT.

@RaineV1 we May have two 3rd rounders due to a pretty good chance we receive a 3rd round comp. you may want to add to your mock
Oh, right. Forgot about that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I see us in the 12 to 16 range. As for Rankins, I do see him as a blue chip. I'd actually put him as the third or fourth best tackle in the upcoming draft. If we didn't have Stanley I'd want him as our LT.

Oh, right. Forgot about that.
Appreciate it, I don’t do mocks until later after the season when I can start to watch tape more closely. Ive watched Nelson fully, obviously, but only a little of other players.

I haven't seen much of Rankin either but he has to be a day-1 difference maker of a starter similar to Nelson for us to take him there. If he's that guy then I'm fine with it.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
So I've watched two games of Rankins, here's my analysis on him:

Good:
*Quick feet
*Strong hands and great core strength
*Good leverage
*Good punch

Bad:
*Apparent lack of length, put him in difficulty on a few occasions. May be more suited at OG
*Not great lower body strength, not a lot of leg drive to create push in the run game

Overall, Rankins looks like a promising prospect with a future as a starting Guard in the NFL. However, I don't see enough dominance on tape to justify a top15 pick. I'd probably give him a 2nd round grade, with some similarities to Dion Dawkins last year.