• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 DT Thread

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
As far as I can tell this is a weak draft class for this position and we have a good D-line, so this isn't a priority. But, we do have a couple of expensive vets that aren't currently around next year (and with the possibility of retirement and the FAs we need to sign next year, they may well not be back).

Are there any interesting lower round projects out there that could provide depth this year for the inevitable vet injuries and then work themselves into being a starter next year?

I've heard good rumblings about the NTs Alim McNeil and Tyler Shelvin, what do you think?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As far as I can tell this is a weak draft class for this position and we have a good D-line, so this isn't a priority. But, we do have a couple of expensive vets that aren't currently around next year (and with the possibility of retirement and the FAs we need to sign next year, they may well not be back).

Are there any interesting lower round projects out there that could provide depth this year for the inevitable vet injuries and then work themselves into being a starter next year?

I've heard good rumblings about the NTs Alim McNeil and Tyler Shelvin, what do you think?

i love alim mcneil - wouldnt draft him super early because the upside in the passing game is low (even though he does show some prowess as an athletic pass rusher from the nose)

but if we could find a way to add him without spending a ton of capital, the heir apparent to brandon williams would be on deck - a modern day nose tackle

if the NFL was still built around the running game then McNeil would be one of those guys looked at really high in the draft - but the game's not that anymore

i dont love the idea of spending a day 2 pick on a nose tackle but if we did, mcneil would be the guy i'd want

not watched shelvin next - he's the next guy on my list to watch and grade

you're 100% right though - this is a really weak DL class...
milton williams is a small school guy who's a tweener sort of size - might go earlier than day 3 though, tommy togiai is another nose tackle type with some stout promise but offers next to nothing as a pass rusher, marvin wilson is similarly a nose with some athleticism although i wouldn't call him explosive, jaylen twyman is a bit undersized but has some nice athleticism and a flashy swim move and push-pull move but can be bullied a bit in the running game

i've not done many more guys than that who i've graded after day 2... in fact i've only done 10 DL total...

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

solid agree from me - it's bad at the top, bad in the middle and bad at the end

there's a ton of guys who are maybe sub-package rusher types but lots of undersized guys or unathletic guys - there's some interesting nose tackle types

but really not much else going on...

i like daviyon nixon, christian barmore, alim mcneill and levi onwuzurike

and i like marvin wilson on day 3 if he's there....

but im not particularly interested in any of the other DL going around unless it's one of the noses late...