• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Old Bay Mock

Old Bay

Veteran
I post a lot on another football message board and we do a mock draft every year. Everyone gets an NFL team and runs their draft. I've represented and selected for the Ravens the last two years. I just finished up my selections for 2021. Feel free to tear it apart. I can take it lol.

1.27 Azeez Ojulari - EDGE - Georgia

My first choice here was to trade down, but with no offers, I took the highest remaining guy on my board. Luckily it just happened to be an area of MAJOR need after losing both Yannick and Judon. I really wanted Teven Jenkins here--a perfect replacement for RG Marshal Yanda or RT Orlando Brown, Jr., but those bastards in shittsburgh took him at 24 . Jaelen Phillips and AVT would also have been under consideration had they slipped. I'm very happy to bring in a player of Ojulari's caliber. He's got a ton of upside in the Ravens defense.

TRADE:
Raiders receive picks 2.58, 4.131, 5.171
Ravens receive picks 3.79 & 3.80

I BADLY wanted Landon Dickerson at 58--he went to LAR at 57 . I can honestly can see him creeping his way up into the late 1st/early 2nd range. He's the perfect Center. I was strongly considering Richie Grant here at 58, as FS is a need. Ultimately, I decided to accept a trade offer from the Raiders, who ended up taking Grant at that pick lol. At the time, I was planning on snagging Washington in the 3rd.

3.79 Dyami Brown - WR - North Carolina

Another major weakness for Baltimore is at WR, more specifically an X-receiver. Dyami fits this role well. I think he's a very... dynamic player. Speed and burst. His contact balance and strength helps get YAC. Great vertical receiver who tracks the ball well. He needs to increase his route tree as he was limited at UNC--there's certainly room for growth. Great, fluid runner with excellent double moves. Nico Collins was also under consideration. Quinn Meinerz was going to be my pick at 79, but he went at 78. I'm starting to see a trend...

3.80 Spencer Brown - OT - Northern Iowa

After missing out on Meinerz, I decided to take another high upside (somewhat risky) OL prospect out of UNI. Brown could easily turn into the Ravens RT for the next decade. He's way too athletic for his size. Ar'darius Washington was also under consideration here, but I thought I might have a shot at him with my next pick--I was wrong.

3.104 Josh Myers - OC - Ohio Sate

It was supposed to be a match made in heaven--Ar'darius Washington & the Ravens. Unfortunately, the Patriots continued their cheating ways and took him at 96. I also considered solidifying the EDGE position with Payton Turner, but he was gone at 99. The Ravens had serious issues at Center last season and ultimately told our starter, Skura, to take a hike. Enjoy that Miami humidity, Matt! At 104, we selected one of the few quality Center prospects in the draft. Myers is a plug 'n' play Center who could also slide to Guard. Love his IQ, toughness and attitude.

5.184 Josh Palmer - WR - Tennessee

After waiting 80 picks, and seeing so many of my guys get plucked, I ended up with another WR prospect I feel is being seriously underrated. I had no intention of double dipping at WR this early, but I couldn't pass up on Palmer. He's tough and one of the better contested catch WRs in the draft. I can see him being a solid 1st down and redzone threat.

TRADE:
Raiders receive 2022 5th round pick.
Ravens receive pick 6.200

6.200 Elerson Smith - EDGE - Northern Iowa

After acquiring the Raiders pick, we selected our second player out of the NFL-player factory that is the University of Northern Iowa. We absolutely love the potential of Smith at the Edge. He added 20lbs prior to the Senior Bowl, arriving at about 265, and really impressed scouts against some tough OL talent.

6.210 Camryn Bynum - CB - California

Wrapping up our draft, we selected on of the more well-rounded CBs on our board. Bynum will be a perfect fit to learn from and back up the talented, yet oft-injured, duo of Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young. I had planned all along on taking Austin Watkins Jr. here and teaming him with his cousin Sammy, but he went prior to my pick at 200. I'm thankful I grabbed Palmer when I did.

Overall, I think it turned out ok. Something I noticed during this draft was how quickly the quality offensive tackles disappeared. After doing this draft, I'm more sure than ever that I want the Ravens to take Jenkins or AVT if they're available at 27. I feel we can certainly afford to wait for a WR. I missed out on adding a TE or FS, but just barely. If I had passed on Dyami in the third, I could have taken Tremble or Washington. I kinda wish I had.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ojulari's a great first pick - i think there are other guys i'd prefer but he'd instantly add some outside threat to our pass rush and with a similar rush move style to ngakoue (who we clearly liked before he didnt work out) - he'll have to refine his pass rush plan and add some counters but he's got an athleticism that we've never really had at EDGE before

I love love love this draft lol - that 3rd round is absolutely amazing - picking up dropping value guys everywhere - dyami brown and spencer brown are 2 guys im much higher on that the consensus - both are guys i have high 2nd round grades on - spencer brown i think just needs to get in an NFL weight room and dyami brown adds a ton of value with his vertical route-running - he'd get a ton of 1v1 matchups outside in this hypothetical scenario because of hollywood and andrews drawing attention (and lamar too)

myers is a solid pick and one of the few good C prospects in the class - i have some questions about his quickness outside of a phone booth and he gave up way too much pressure - i think some of it is technical with his hands and not using his length always in the way he should - but i think also some of it is some slower footwork - he struggled mostly vs wider set guys (3techs and DL moving laterally) - he's aggressive at times and maybe it's just a case of forcing him to be a bit more patient and stop lunging but that's my knock on him - and it's the type of question mark that i don't think we can answer until he gets into camp - but at 104 that's a great spot to get him

Josh Palmer is another guy who i'm much higher on than where you got him - i think he's a 3rd round talent - a big physical guy who can win and stack vertically and did so against some of the best corners in the draft class (surtain and stokes) - and the added bonus that he's spent the last few years being coached by tee martin already

elerson smith is a high ceiling type of pick - he seemed to carry the extra 20lbs well at the senior bowl and was borderline unblockable in the 1v1s - i had some questions about his ability to hold up on the front side on his tape but the extra 20lbs seemed to add some strength and power to him without losing any explosiveness (and worth noting that his tape is over a year old at this point) - didn't finish a lot on tape and might lack some bend - but he's 6'6 with a big wingspan and has some springy athleticism, powerful hands and plays with high effort - and not going to find more talented guys in the 6th round than this often... small school but high upside

camryn bynum - the rare high floor low ceiling cornerback - would be great depth - not a guy i'd probably ever be comfortable with starting long-term but very fine with as a potential depth corner - especially with how much we play press man

great mock

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Love it, I wouldn’t have fooled around with Payton turner though, I would’ve even taken him over dyami brown there, but I’m really high on Payton turner

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like dyami brown and spencer brown a lot but I’ve got no issue with the idea of taking Payton turner anywhere from towards the end of the 2nd onwards
Payton turner is low key one of my favorite players in the draft this year, he just fits so perfect with what we do