• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

A new perspective at 27

JED3

Practice Squad
This post will be discussing the possibility of drafting an interior defensive lineman with our first pick of the draft.

To me the only position that we’d be guaranteed to draft a starter would be offensive line. And while I think Creed Humphrey is possibly the best choice with our first pick. I think this would be at worst the second best choice here. I think we could get by with our current line, but I’m a big proponent of line play and dont know if we’d want to see Tyre Phillips and Ben Powers competing for left guard, assuming Bozeman moves to center. I also dont see a tackle contributing early unless Orlando is moved, so a developmental piece is the move there in my opinion.

At wr, someone like Marshall would need to develop his blocking to play in the slot, and would need to work on his play strength to play outside. We also signed Sammy Watkins and have Devin Duvernay who is likely to have an increased target share this year. If we need to draft a wr, we can likely do it in the 2nd or 3rd as the heavy depth at the position pushes good players down. We also have the most run heavy offense in the league, so the value of a receiver is already diminished in our offense.

At edge, someone like Ojulari would be primarily be a 3rd down player due to poor run defense, which will come up again in Barmore’s profile. I also find it hard to predict a draft where a good edge option actually falls to 27. Combine this with the fact that I believe edge is one of the deepest positions in the draft, this pick looks unlikely here.

At safety, someone like Moehrig or Grant might be a good addition due to their versatility. Wink needs a centerfielder with the ability to come down and play in the box. However, due to the presence of two decent safeties, and secondary being the strength of the team, I don’t see this being our primary pick here.

At dt, I’m not overly impressed with the options this year so I don't really see us getting a later round player who can quickly develop into a balanced starter. Although finding a nose tackle might be a possibility. However, there is one that I would appreciate even if it wouldn’t seem like the most obvious choice at pick 27. Christian Barmore is the guy. I think dt is a bigger need than we give it credit for. Our two best interior lineman are not on contracts for next year, and also have injury concerns related to their age.

While there is no assuming Barmore falls to 27, I will be making the argument that we should take him assuming he actually does.

So what do we know about Barmore? He’s a 315 lb defensive tackle with elite length and athleticism. His athleticism shows up in his raw strength and in his speed once he gets through the line. He has strong hands and uses them to bully offensive lineman as a pass rusher. Barmore was mainly a 3rd down player in his time at Alabama because he is not a consistent run defender, mainly due to playing with a higher pad level and some effort issues. However I believe he can develop into a plus run defender, given his physical profile. In 2021, he would serve as a rotational piece like any other position we’d draft besides offensive line, however in 2022 he’d be the starter at a major need. This year he could primarily serve as the nose tackle on third down as 5t and 3t would be filled, and he has the size to play the position. Ideally, in 2022, he would take over Campbell’s spot at 3t.

Personally, I believe Barmore would be BPA if he is on the board at 27. I think it would really show some thought for the future if were to draft him. Anyway, let me know some of your thoughts on the matter.

JED3

Practice Squad
Id also like to say that the thought of Madubuike and Barmore rushing the passer fills me with excitement. If we could draft someone like Basham to replace Mcphee or Tryon to rotate with Bowser, our line would be looking pretty strong.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
At edge, someone like Ojulari would be primarily be a 3rd down player due to poor run defense, which will come up again in Barmore’s profile. I also find it hard to predict a draft where a good edge option actually falls to 27. Combine this with the fact that I believe edge is one of the deepest positions in the draft, this pick looks unlikely here.

i just want to say that watching ojulari i dont know where this narrative that he's a poor run defender comes from...

he's got some technical things that he needs to sort out but there are frequent flashes of effective edge setting and he consistently demonstrates the length and physical traits to be able to do it more consistently - i see him lose eye discipline at times in the running game but if jaylon ferguson can make it onto the field with his poor eyes vs misdirection then there's no way ojulari doesn't play a ton if we drafted him

but i see him squeezing down the line when unblocked, taking on pullers with force, i see him disengaging and using his length and quickness to stack - could be better shedding but that's coachable...

now i agree with you about the depth of the class - but the idea that ojulari would be a limited 1 down player in our defence seems wrong to me but each to their own

but the idea that ojulari would somehow not be able to get on the field before 3rd down but Barmore could is ironic

dont get me wrong, the idea of barmore and madubuike developing and playing together for at least 3 years is a tasty prospect - but barmore right now will 100% not be on the field on 1st and 2nd down much and because of the way we use dime, it's likely he's only part of a larger rotation on 3rd down with Campbell, Madubuike definitely ahead of him initially in those 1 DL scenarios

he'd be a great pick but i dont think it's obvious to me that he would be BPA - in fact as my board is stacked right now, there's no scenario where barmore would be BPA at 27 (he's 31 on my board)

JED3

Practice Squad
i just want to say that watching ojulari i dont know where this narrative that he's a poor run defender comes from...

he's got some technical things that he needs to sort out but there are frequent flashes of effective edge setting and he consistently demonstrates the length and physical traits to be able to do it more consistently - i see him lose eye discipline at times in the running game but if jaylon ferguson can make it onto the field with his poor eyes vs misdirection then there's no way ojulari doesn't play a ton if we drafted him

but i see him squeezing down the line when unblocked, taking on pullers with force, i see him disengaging and using his length and quickness to stack - could be better shedding but that's coachable...

now i agree with you about the depth of the class - but the idea that ojulari would be a limited 1 down player in our defence seems wrong to me but each to their own

but the idea that ojulari would somehow not be able to get on the field before 3rd down but Barmore could is ironic

dont get me wrong, the idea of barmore and madubuike developing and playing together for at least 3 years is a tasty prospect - but barmore right now will 100% not be on the field on 1st and 2nd down much and because of the way we use dime, it's likely he's only part of a larger rotation on 3rd down with Campbell, Madubuike definitely ahead of him initially in those 1 DL scenarios

he'd be a great pick but i dont think it's obvious to me that he would be BPA - in fact as my board is stacked right now, there's no scenario where barmore would be BPA at 27 (he's 31 on my board)
He definitely has the potential, but I would still say it’s something that needs to be worked on. At 245 lbs he doesnt have much margin for error. He clearly has the power for it, as seen blowing up pulling blockers against Alabama. But, as you said he is really bad at block shedding and has some issues staying disciplined against misdirections. Another thing is he on occasion would put his head down unnecessarily and lose a reps to someone like a tight end. He shows he can do it, but consistency is key. I think we take him if he’s there, but I doubt that he will be. I do think edge is the pick if a prospect that we like is available.

I do believe Barmore could make major strides in his run defense over an offseason, that may allow him to become an average run defender. That would allow him to be on the field on more than just 3rd down, but that was not my expectation if I was not clear.

My post was more of hypothetical in a situation with no top edge defender available, and I shouldve framed it as such.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He definitely has the potential, but I would still say it’s something that needs to be worked on. At 245 lbs he doesnt have much margin for error. He clearly has the power for it, as seen blowing up pulling blockers against Alabama. But, as you said he is really bad at block shedding and has some issues staying disciplined against misdirections. Another thing is he on occasion would put his head down unnecessarily and lose a reps to someone like a tight end. He shows he can do it, but consistency is key. I think we take him if he’s there, but I doubt that he will be. I do think edge is the pick if a prospect that we like is available.

I do believe Barmore could make major strides in his run defense over an offseason, that may allow him to become an average run defender. That would allow him to be on the field on more than just 3rd down, but that was not my expectation if I was not clear.

My post was more of hypothetical in a situation with no top edge defender available, and I shouldve framed it as such.

i see

well the board will naturally dictate what we do - but if a top edge isn't there then my guess is that a WR probably is or a high quality player at a different position