• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Simba's Full First Round + Ravens Mock - 2021 Edition (Post OBJ trade)

Simba

Staff Member
Alright let's try this again since the OBJ trade had to go and fuck up my plans. Per usual, I will be doing this based on what I think the Ravens could do, not necessarily what I want to see. I will also be switching all of the players up from my previous mock, just to have something different out there. Still think the guys in my previous mock all make varying levels of sense in a similar range.

Only difference this time is I'm going to take a short cut and not give reasoning behind all of the other teams' picks.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence, QB
2. New York Jets - Zach Wilson, QB
3. San Francisco 49ers - Mac Jones, QB
4. Atlanta Falcons - Kyle Pitts, TE
5. Cincinnati Bengals - Ja'Marr Chase, WR
6. TRADE: Denver Broncos - Justin Fields, QB
7. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers - Penei Sewell, OT
8. Carolina Panthers - Rashawn Slater, OT
9. Miami Dolphins - DeVonta Smith, WR
10. Dallas Cowboys - Patrick Surtain, CB
11. TRADE: New England Patriots - Trey Lance, QB
12. Philadelphia Eagles - Jaycee Horn, CB
13. Detroit Lions - Jaylen Waddle, WR
14. Minnesota Vikings - Alijah Vera-Tucker, G
15. New York Giants - Kwity Paye, OLB
16. Arizona Cardinals - Greg Newsome, CB
17. Las Vegas Raiders - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB
18. Miami Dolphins - Jaelan Phillips, OLB
19. Washington Football Team - Christian Darrisaw, OT
20. Chicago Bears - Rashod Bateman, WR

21. TRADE: Baltimore Ravens - Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

1189878524.0.jpg

Teven Jenkins is a dog and a half and the Ravens move up to ensure they get him before some T needy teams, giving up 94 in the process. Jenkins fits this offense better than any other T at this juncture. He should be a day 1 RT but if they decide that they want a vet out there, he should easily be able to play G in year 1.

22. Tennessee Titans - Elijah Moore, WR
23. New York Jets - Greg Rousseau, OLB
24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Sam Cosmi, OT
25. Jacksonville Jaguars - Levi Onwuzirike, DT
26. Cleveland Browns - Micah Parsons, LB
27. Indianapolis Colts - Azeez Ojulari, OLB
28. New Orleans Saints - Caleb Farley, CB
29. Green Bay Packers - Zaven Collins, LB
30. Buffalo Bills - Najee Harris, RB
31. TRADE: Detroit Lions - Christian Barmore, DT

After moving back and acquiring some draft capital from the Chargers, the Lions move up to select Barmore to anchor their weak interior DL. The Ravens trade 1.31 and 5.40 for 2.9, 4.7, and 4.13.

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Creed Humphrey, C

And now the Ravens' rest of the draft:

Round 2, Pick 9: Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

5f6bf0f9d25ef.image.jpg

S has been the quiet need and the board falls in the Ravens' favor here. As great as EDGE or WR would be, they take the value and select the rangy Moehrig to man the back end of the defense. As usual, the Ravens opt to build for the future.

TRADE: Round 3, Pick 25: Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State

1179225753.jpeg

The Ravens go back to the Oklahoma State well and pick up the fiery Tylan Wallace. He's not the biggest or the fastest, but he's a competitive as they come and has an incredible ability to fight for the ball in the air. In order to secure his services, the Ravens trade the 3rd round comp and the recently acquired 4.13

Round 4, Pick 7: Jordan Smith, EDGE, UAB

1229240036.0.jpg

In a perfect world, we're able to hit EDGE a lot sooner. But this isn't a perfect world and the Ravens remain patient, knowing that there are multiple veteran options still on the market. As usual, the Ravens find an opportunity to pounce on some athletic potential with some needed technique work. Smith has a lot of natural ability but hasn't been able to harness it just yet. This is the type of guy the Ravens coaches would love to work with.

Round 4, Pick 26: Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota

1172513823.0.jpg

It's a Ravens mock draft... of course there's a CB. Enter the rising St-Juste. There's a chance he may not be here come draft day but it's a mock so why not. I'm sure you've heard this before, but let's add another ultra competitive player to the mix and see what technique you can build. The mindset is there. Let's try our hand at developing yet another traits based outside CB.

Round 4, Pick 31: Dayo Odeyingbo, DE, Vanderbilt

https%3A%2F%2Fallfortennessee.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1189604410.jpeg

Odeyingbo unfortunately tore his achilles in January. If it wasn't for that, I think he'd be long gone. In a year short on talent, it makes sense to take the shot for the future. Odeyingbo is unrefined and needs some weight room work, but he stands out easily as a versatile DE/OLB piece for Wink to play with when he gets healthy.

Round 5, Pick 27: Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson

Cornell-Powell-3.jpg

The double dip at WR remains, this time with Cornell Powell. I'm having a lot of trouble pegging his value and think he could go a round or 2 in either direction, so we'll stick in the middle. Non-productive until his last season, Powell had to step into action and responded well. He's rocked up and has a lot of good, but not great traits.

Round 6, Pick 26: Larry Rountree III, RB, Mizzou

5f94b35e13632.image.jpg

Like last draft, I can see us taking a stab at a late round RB and see what we can do with him. The depth chart is bleak after the top 3 so might as well add a guy to the competition and see what happens. Rountree was an interesting watch. At times he looked like the best player on the field. Other times, he didn't seem to know what he was doing. Vision is so so but the speed and intensity are there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love Teven Jenkins
I like Moehrig - certainly like him more after the trade down
I'm a lot lower on Tylan Wallace than lots of people - on tape he doesn't seem to separate, then he didn't test well, and he came in at under 6'0 - he's great at the catch-point outside but i think he probably projects more into the slot and i just dont love him as an option - if we drafted him id obviously be excited but i'd also be very nervous
Jordan Smith tested awfully but i like him a lot still
I love Benjamin St-Juste - in much the same way i loved Ahkello Witherspoon when he was coming out in 2017 - both long with great movement skills for their size
I love Dayo Odeyingbo
I love Cornell Powell - his twitch and big and strong with some nice route running nuance already
Rountree is exactly who you said he is lol

Simba

Staff Member
I love Teven Jenkins
I like Moehrig - certainly like him more after the trade down
I'm a lot lower on Tylan Wallace than lots of people - on tape he doesn't seem to separate, then he didn't test well, and he came in at under 6'0 - he's great at the catch-point outside but i think he probably projects more into the slot and i just dont love him as an option - if we drafted him id obviously be excited but i'd also be very nervous
Jordan Smith tested awfully but i like him a lot still
I love Benjamin St-Juste - in much the same way i loved Ahkello Witherspoon when he was coming out in 2017 - both long with great movement skills for their size
I love Dayo Odeyingbo
I love Cornell Powell - his twitch and big and strong with some nice route running nuance already
Rountree is exactly who you said he is lol

I say this with the complete caveat that very few players this year have gotten full film study from me, and Wallace certainly didn't. Like most guys this year, mostly Twitter cut ups and stuff like that. But I came away with a different opinion. Thought his separation was his standout trait for me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I say this with the complete caveat that very few players this year have gotten full film study from me, and Wallace certainly didn't. Like most guys this year, mostly Twitter cut ups and stuff like that. But I came away with a different opinion. Thought his separation was his standout trait for me.

he was definitely being brought back into coverage by some poor QB play - but i wouldnt say he was a great separator - shows some nice nuance to his route-running especially horizontally but i didn't consistently see a ton of separation (especially on vertical stuff) - he plays with nice control though

and he's great adjusting to the ball at the catch-point

really struggled vs press and physical corners - giving up ground to the sideline consistently - at times felt like he was having to walk a tight-rope just to stay in bounds on his route when he speed released outside

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Seems low for st juste, seems very high for moehrig and frankly I’d be livid if the ravens opted for him over Richie grant, especially when you consider value and all.

like the mock though, felt like a decosta type of navigation

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seems low for st juste, seems very high for moehrig and frankly I’d be livid if the ravens opted for him over Richie grant, especially when you consider value and all.

like the mock though, felt like a decosta type of navigation

as much as i prefer grant, that's decent value for moehrig, especially with how he can work in man coverage out of the nickel and the flexibility that can give you with his range on the back-end