• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Playoffs? You Wanna Talk About Playoffs? Actually, I Do.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Is it time to talk about playoffs? Is Jim Mora going to go on a full tirade about why we should not talk about that word? Given that he was just fired from UCLA, I think he will end up staying out of the spotlight for a little bit…

But really, the Ravens are currently a playoff team. With the glowing record of 5-5 and the 31st ranked offense in football, your Baltimore Ravens are in the driver’s seat for a playoff spot for the first time in three years. Wow, that felt really weird to write out. The 31st ranked offense and worst passing game in the entire NFL is going to lead a team to the playoffs? Somehow, that does not feel right in the slightest bit, but yet, here we are. This should be the biggest testament to the Ravens defense and how they have truly carried the 2017 Baltimore Ravens to date. To truly understand the impact of the Ravens defense, though, we should try to truly understand just how inept the Ravens offense was on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers. The Ravens also forced five additional drives to be stopped on downs or forced a three and out. 10 of the Packers 13 drives either ended on downs, with a three and out, or with a turnover. That is truly dominant.

The Ravens offense had amazing fortune on Sunday. The Ravens offense forced five turnovers and provided an average starting position of their own 47 yard line. Five drives for the Ravens started inside Packers territory, an average starting field position of the Packers 27 yard line. This sounds like the perfect recipe for success for an offense, right? If you happen to be the Baltimore Ravens, you would be wrong. This is the perfect recipe to show that you have no idea how to move the ball.

If we exclude the final drive that started in Green Bay territory because it started at the Packers three yard line and only look at the four other drives that had an opportunity for ball movement, we find that the Ravens moved the ball a TOTAL of 22 yards. On three of those four drives, the Ravens failed to gain a single first down, and on two, the Ravens failed to gain any yardage at all, totaling a net of -11 yards. Despite receiving the ball on three straight drives that ended by turnover, the Ravens managed a grand total of… three points. Despite receiving five turnovers on the day, the Ravens managed to produce just 13 points off of turnover. It should be noted that seven of those points came because Marlon Humphrey returned an interception to the Packers three yard line, so it would take next level ineptitude to not secure a touchdown on that drive. However, I really would not put it past the Ravens offense to display exactly that. After all, this is the same offense that threw to the perfectly covered 5’8” running back that was sandwiched between the sideline and HaHa Clinton-Dix. Yes, that pass was indeed intercepted in the red zone after the Ravens had the ball at the Packers 21.

It was not all negative, though, from the offense. In fact, they actually did have one really great drive. To open the third quarter, the Ravens took the opening kickoff to their own 41 yard line. The opening pass went 33 yards to Benjamin Watson who had yet to catch a pass. Three plays later and Mike Wallace caught a 21 yard dime from Joe Flacco to go into the end zone for a score. Really, this was the type of pass that makes Flacco infuriating. He can play poorly for the entirety of the game, but out of nowhere, he throws this type of perfectly placed pass into extremely tight coverage to his man for the score. It was mind boggling that for just one drive, the Ravens could move the ball so efficiently and so well in such a short amount of time. Where does this offense go for the rest of the game and why are they only available for one of fourteen drives?

Give major props to the defense, though, because this Ravens offense likely does not show that type of play and ability if they were forced to play from behind as it appeared they would as the opening drive for the Packers drew near to the Ravens end zone. (the Ravens have not won a single game in which they trailed at any point) With the ball on the Ravens five yard line, Randall Cobb motioned from a bunch formation on the right side of the quarterback to the left and was not followed by a corner. The Ravens had completely forgotten to cover a man and as the ball was snapped, Hundley knew exactly who he was going to- Randall Cobb for a wide open touchdown. Except, it was not that easy because Jimmy Smith had other ideas. As the ball floated toward the end zone, Smith fell off Devante Adams and easily high pointed the ball to halt the Packers opening drive. It was demoralizing for the Packers who surely had to feel like they had points guaranteed. They had effortlessly moved the ball into Ravens territory only to be thwarted on what should have been a touchdown had it not been for the awareness of Jimmy Smith. In total, the Ravens would force three interceptions of Hundley, including the first of Marlon Humphrey’s career, a forced fumble from Hundley, and a fumble from running back Aaron Jones.

Even better, though, was the dominant performance of two rather unknown players around the league. Yes, Suggs was extremely strong with two sacks and a forced fumble, but this is almost what we just expect from Suggs. What we did not expect, however, was for Matthew Judon and Willie Henry to come out of the gates firing like they did. Like Suggs, both Judon and Henry had two sacks of their own. Judon has shown a great deal of inconsistencies as a pass rusher this season, but it has been impressive run defense as of late and an ability to get downfield and defend passes that will truly earn Judon the money when the sacks are not coming in. As for Henry, some had pegged him as a dark horse. We all knew about the potential, the athleticism, and the explosion he offered. Today was the day he put it on full display as the Packers starting interior line was no match for the quickness and speed of Henry. From a player who could not see the field to start the season to a player you cannot afford to leave off the field, Henry is slowly starting to make a name for himself.

All in all, this was exactly the type of performance that was to be expected of the 2017 Baltimore Ravens. They forced five turnovers, pitched their third shutout of the season, and looked like an offense that the Cleveland Browns would know too well. Is this the recipe for a playoff team? As of right now, it surely appears that way. Is it the recipe for a Super Bowl contender? Only if January Joe shows up.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Where does this offense go for the rest of the game and why are they only available for one of fourteen drives?

what's annoying is this was the first drive of the 2nd half - the only other good looking drive was the beginning of the game where we started with playaction, then a couple of intermediate throws and we were in field goal range after some good play and execution for 5-6 plays and then all of a sudden the playcalling went back to usual and we stalled and then went backwards out of field goal range...

what that tells me is that during the bye we worked hard to change up our offensive style and scheme but that marty (or whoever - maybe its joe but i doubt it) got back in his comfort zone and we started seeing the ravens offence from before the bye

its so frustrating to watch this offence when you see decent play design and playcalling like that because it makes me more bitter about all the what ifs

another awful stat vs the packers was that time of possession was nearly equal despite the fact that we won the turnover battle 5:1 and also had 2/3 turnovers on downs too - we should have been dominating time of possession and riding alex collins (part of not using collins may well have been the oline reshuffle because we no longer had our prolific pulling guard because he was playing tackle and we lost our tackle who had graded out as the best run blocking tackle in the league according to pff)

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
what's annoying is this was the first drive of the 2nd half - the only other good looking drive was the beginning of the game where we started with playaction, then a couple of intermediate throws and we were in field goal range after some good play and execution for 5-6 plays and then all of a sudden the playcalling went back to usual and we stalled and then went backwards out of field goal range...

what that tells me is that during the bye we worked hard to change up our offensive style and scheme but that marty (or whoever - maybe its joe but i doubt it) got back in his comfort zone and we started seeing the ravens offence from before the bye

its so frustrating to watch this offence when you see decent play design and playcalling like that because it makes me more bitter about all the what ifs

another awful stat vs the packers was that time of possession was nearly equal despite the fact that we won the turnover battle 5:1 and also had 2/3 turnovers on downs too - we should have been dominating time of possession and riding alex collins (part of not using collins may well have been the oline reshuffle because we no longer had our prolific pulling guard because he was playing tackle and we lost our tackle who had graded out as the best run blocking tackle in the league according to pff)
I just amended my post, but the Ravens, in addition to the five turnovers, stopped an additional five drives by three and out or on downs. Like, for 10 of 13 drives, the Packers basically handed the ball back to the Ravens for free.

I just do not understand this offense and it is such a perfect storm of inconsistent play from Flacco and bad play calling from Marty.

Someone posted that Dirk Koetter may be on the way out of TB and that is a person I would 100% want here in Baltimore. Either Koetter or Gase if either get fired. I think either could even turn this offense into a middle of the pack offense.

I just fear the Ravens getting into the playoffs because they're currently slotted to play the Jaguars. Yeah, the Jaguars likely don't do anything on offense this time around, but we sure as hell know the Ravens offense won't, either.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It makes me so mad that we can't put it together. We had our 2012 and 2014 offenses which were pretty damn good, the best of our franchise I'd say, and what do those 2 years have in common? Some of our worst defenses. Aside from terrelvis dumersizzle putting on a clinic in 2014 our defense was horrid especially once jimmy went down.

When can we just have a decent offense and an elite defense? It's been a fucking theme for the ravens since 2000 to have a great D and horrid O, except for 2 seasons when our offense was solid and defense was average.

If we could just get our 2010-2011 average as fuck offense on the field then we would be unbeatable.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I think the funny thing about all of this is how much everyone (including me) hated how bad the offense was in 2008-2012 years and thought our offense was the worst on the planet. Now I am sitting here hoping that the offense doesn't turn the ball over more than once a game and that is a good game for the offense.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think the funny thing about all of this is how much everyone (including me) hated how bad the offense was in 2008-2012 years and thought our offense was the worst on the planet. Now I am sitting here hoping that the offense doesn't turn the ball over more than once a game and that is a good game for the offense.
Reading this made me want to shed a tear.