• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Is Sizzle Playing DPOY Ball?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
9.5 sacks, 4 FF, one of the best run stopping edge defenders in the league, spearheading perhaps the leagues best defense and leading it in every way one can lead, and many of his big plays coming in the 4th quarter as he is 2nd in the league in 4th quarter over the past 2 years.

I say absolutely he is quietly playing DPOY level ball, everson griffen, joey bosa, jalen ramsey, and aaron donald are likely ahead of him atm, and even lowkey guys like calais campbell and chandler jones are having excellent seasons who could also give suggs a run for his money.

but would you say suggs is at least deep in the conversation? i certainly would.

I've always felt that Suggs was a bit underrated overall. I'm surprised he hasn't made a bit more Pro-Bowls based on popularity. But outside of that I'm a little surprised because he's been on a heavy workload yet the guy doesn't look a day over 30. Man, I'm going to miss this guy, if there's a Ravens Mt.Rushmore, then he certainly belongs on it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im not sure he's a DPOY candidate but this season is slowly hammering home his future HOF candidacy
You beat me to it. We had this conversation earlier in the year regarding Suggs and if he was HOF worthy. Well if he wasn't HOF worthy prior to this season, he certainly is now. Although I agree with you that he won't be a candidate for DPOY, he's an amazing player having an awesome year and leading a young and talented defense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You beat me to it. We had this conversation earlier in the year regarding Suggs and if he was HOF worthy. Well if he wasn't HOF worthy prior to this season, he certainly is now. Although I agree with you that he won't be a candidate for DPOY, he's an amazing player having an awesome year and leading a young and talented defense.

After a decade and a half in the league and putting up now 9.5 sacks and counting aged 35 you can’t tell the story of the nfl without him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
not really asking if hes a legit candidate, but theres always gonna be names you throw in the conversation just because they deserve the acknowledgement of a great season, like carson wentz is gonna be no OPOY but goddamn if he doesnt deserve to have his name thrown in there at least.

and yeah, it has been said for a few years now "if suggs can hit 8+ sacks a few more times i think he solidifies a HOF career" and he just keeps banging out the numbers. every offseason the thought seems to be "we have all these new young guys im so pumped about seeing them, and if suggs can keep fresh legs and throw in some part time rushes that would be cool too" but then every season he is our top guy on defense and just looks better the older he gets, its insane.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
not really asking if hes a legit candidate, but theres always gonna be names you throw in the conversation just because they deserve the acknowledgement of a great season, like carson wentz is gonna be no OPOY but goddamn if he doesnt deserve to have his name thrown in there at least.

and yeah, it has been said for a few years now "if suggs can hit 8+ sacks a few more times i think he solidifies a HOF career" and he just keeps banging out the numbers. every offseason the thought seems to be "we have all these new young guys im so pumped about seeing them, and if suggs can keep fresh legs and throw in some part time rushes that would be cool too" but then every season he is our top guy on defense and just looks better the older he gets, its insane.
He's really enjoying the game and it shows. Happy that he's healthy, worked his ass off in the offseason, plays great football. He shouldn't be overlooked.

I think he's solidifying himself as a HOF player. Who knows how long he'll keep playing with how good he's been after two Achilles tears. He's like 8 sacks away from tieing Lawrence Taylor.

Tru11

Practice Squad
if he keeps this pace up he might just be tbh

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
If I'm being honest apart from Clowney and Campbell he's in the conversation. His playmaking ability on key moments is unparallelled

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think Clowney, Bosa, and Campbell have him beat at the moment.

Can't be Everson Griffen because he missed a game with a sack.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I’d imagine Ramsey, akiem hicks, Aaron Donald and fletcher cox are probably ahead of him too
Just can't see DPOY happening for him again. 2011 was a special year for him and I'm not sure he ever approaches that level of dominant play again. He's playing extremely well, especially for someone who is 35, but with the level of talent in the league right now defensively, I'm not even sure 2011 would win DPOY this year.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
9.5 sacks, 4 FF, one of the best run stopping edge defenders in the league, spearheading perhaps the leagues best defense and leading it in every way one can lead, and many of his big plays coming in the 4th quarter as he is 2nd in the league in 4th quarter over the past 2 years.

I say absolutely he is quietly playing DPOY level ball, everson griffen, joey bosa, jalen ramsey, and aaron donald are likely ahead of him atm, and even lowkey guys like calais campbell and chandler jones are having excellent seasons who could also give suggs a run for his money.

but would you say suggs is at least deep in the conversation? i certainly would.
I think over the next 5 games if he can get to 15 sacks, and add a couple of INTs to this year's resume and we make the playoffs, I think he would indeed be a strong candidate. But at this moment I think there are several that you've named that are ahead of him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
what is crazy is that sizz seems to be getting better as the year goes on...
most older players who seem youthful lose that youthfulness as the year progresses and the hits accumulate and the weather gets cold but sizz is looking as good as he has for years
He's a genetic freak. I began to realize it when he came back from that first Achilles tear. And then being able to come back from a second one at his age and keep playing well is just absurd.

He is absolutely one of the great defenders of this era of football, there's something to be said about a guy who plays this well for this long, the same way ray, Julius peppers, Darryl green, Bruce smith, etc. continued defying age and playing good defense, Suggs is in that category, and he's in good company. Would also imagine he started younger than any of them as a (I think) 20 year old rookie, so he has had more wear and tear at 35 than probably any defender in history and keeps on pushing with a heavy ass workload.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

To be honest he is surprising me. He isn't the level of player as Ray and Peppers. But he is effective into his mid 30's. But to be fair I wouldn't say DPOY candidate. Yes he has the numbers. BUT to be fair he kinda feasts on weak tackles and some unblocked sacks. That was the knock on him even when he did win DPOY. The argument against him was he racked up his numbers against weak er tackles and back ups.

Before anybody whines I'm hating on their hero's that isn't my intent!! I very very much like Suggs a lot. It is flat out amazing how he changed up his game after he was slipping for a couple yrs there to be great again with a new style of play. Even Steeler fans have to be amazed and appreciate the science behind his play!! I even showed a division2 scout/recruiter how Terrell changed up his game and play style to be dominant like he was his first several years and college.

He was dominant in college through burst flexibility, and moves that would make a running back jealous. He could get low and accelerate simultaneously while using his hands and moves. It was awesome and fun to watch. His burst and bend wasn't elite but it looked elite cuz how he could get low use his hands and accelerate simultaneously. He was one of best players as a rookie. However several yrs into his career all players lose about a half step in their later 20's. This effected him and hurt his burst and it was enough to cause him problems getting to the QB. However he bulked up and showed the best use of power yet with finesse moves with enough burst and bend to redefine and morph his game. He became dominant again the a complete new game. I thought his double digit sack days were behind him after he lost some of that burst athleticism and long chase speed. Which chases speed wasn't elite to begin with. When he lost a half step it effected his game. But he morphed his game to become as good and even better. My opinion he is first ballot HOF candidate.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He's a genetic freak. I began to realize it when he came back from that first Achilles tear. And then being able to come back from a second one at his age and keep playing well is just absurd.

He is absolutely one of the great defenders of this era of football, there's something to be said about a guy who plays this well for this long, the same way ray, Julius peppers, Darryl green, Bruce smith, etc. continued defying age and playing good defense, Suggs is in that category, and he's in good company. Would also imagine he started younger than any of them as a (I think) 20 year old rookie, so he has had more wear and tear at 35 than probably any defender in history and keeps on pushing with a heavy ass workload.

dwight freeney is normally thought of as a first ballot HOFer and suggs is now 1.5 sacks behind but played all his football with 1 team and is playing as well now as he has done for a while and as has been said already he's only 8 sacks behind lawrence taylor and he's got at least 5 more games this year including 2/3 against mediocre at best olines

Sooky

Pro Bowler
dwight freeney is normally thought of as a first ballot HOFer and suggs is now 1.5 sacks behind but played all his football with 1 team and is playing as well now as he has done for a while and as has been said already he's only 8 sacks behind lawrence taylor and he's got at least 5 more games this year including 2/3 against mediocre at best olines
Add in Suggs actually is even better in run defense than he is at rushing the passer. Dwight Freeney was a liability in the run game and taken off the field in most cases.

Unfortunately I do not think Suggs makes DPOY unless he leads the league in sacks. Which this year is pretty low so he has a chance if he closes out the season strong.