• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Week 16 Preview: Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I recently wrote an opinion piece after a victory over the Cleveland Browns that the Baltimore Ravens might be the one team that no other playoff team wants to face come January. I was quickly reminded by fans that the Ravens are currently not in the playoffs and must win out to achieve their goal of clinching a spot in the postseason. I might be a little optimistic on this one, but I fully expect the Ravens to win out and clinch a spot in the playoffs and I think that Saturday will move them one step closer to their goal as the Indianapolis Colts take come to Baltimore.

The Colts were always going to be a bad team, even if they had Andrew Luck. Due to incredibly poor drafting over the years and a lack of emphasis put on the offensive line, the Colts have been a very bad team that was always teetering on the edge of implosion if Luck were to get hurt. When he finally did get hurt, the Colts finally imploded and now look like they could challenge the Cleveland Browns for the worst franchise currently in the NFL. With just two games left in the regular season, do not expect the Colts to eclipse more than four wins, as Sunday really should be an easy game for the Ravens.

With that said, let us take a look at the key storylines for this game.

Storylines to Watch:

How do the Young Guns at Receiver Look for Baltimore?: As it stands currently, the Ravens may very well be without Jeremy Maclin on Saturday, much to the enjoyment of many Ravens fans. Maclin, who at times has flashed as a play maker and a threat for the Ravens, has consistently shown that he may not be up to the task of being a Baltimore Raven in 2018. With drops, sloppy route running, and a feeling that he may have quit on the season, Maclin just really does not fit the play like a Raven mantra.

For as maligned as Maclin has been, though, the Ravens really do not have anyone who can replace him and fans might just see how much worse off life can be without the veteran receiver on Sunday. While there is a lot of optimism regarding Chris Moore and Michael Campanaro, neither has been able to convert their potential into actual good play on the field. Will a very expanded role for both receivers change that? Will either receiver step up to the plate and make the decision to let Maclin go in 2018 an easier one? Or will fans see that maybe it really can get worse?

Can the Pass Rush Dominate?: There have been many, many Ravens fans who have been very adamant that the offensive line play in Baltimore has been bad for the most part this year (funny how this died down recently when the offensive line play really has been subpar) and the Ravens do not have a quality offensive line. But here is the thing- for all of those who truly believe the Ravens have the worst offensive line in the NFL and that it cannot get worse, you will see on Saturday that it can be much, much worse. Unlike the Ravens who build inside out (offensive line first, then receivers), the Colts build outside in and it shows.

If there were ever a day for a player to challenge for seven sacks in a single game to tie the NFL record, this absolutely would be the day for Terrell Suggs or Matt Judon. Between the duo, they may only have 19.0 sacks, but they have been absolute terrors off of the edge by consistently bringing pressure and being pests to the quarterback. If Brandon Williams and Willie Henry can stop Jacoby Brissett from stepping up in the pocket, Judon and Suggs will feast on the day.

On the season, Jacoby Brissett has been pressured on over 41.0% of his drop backs, a league high. Do not expect that to change on Saturday when the Colts come to M&T Bank Stadium to face a Ravens pass rush that has been heating up as the season has progressed.

How Does Chuck Pagano Look?: According to Tony Lombardi of Russell Street Report, there is a rumor going around that this will be Dean Pees’ final season coaching in the purple and black. Count me as one of those who is highly skeptical of this, but one that could see this as plausible. Being on the road for five months a year, minimum, and being in the facilities for most of the day year round at over 70 years old has to take a toll eventually. While I would be surprised to see this rumor come to fruition, I would not be totally shocked.

If Pees indeed does intend to step down, Chuck Pagano could be an incredibly logical choice to coach the Baltimore secondary yet again. Pagano was once the Ravens coordinator in 2011 and ranked in the top 5 in yards per game, rush yards per game, pass yards per game, yards per play, points given up per game, and third down percentage. Unfortunately, Pagano has not had nearly the same success defensively in Indy and it will very likely lead to his dismissal from a head coaching position.

If Pagano is indeed fired and Pees does retire, the Ravens should give a strong look at Pagano if he still looks up to the job. He battled and beat cancer, but that has to take a toll on anyone and cause faster than needed aging. Could less responsibility be better? Is he even up to the task? These are just a few questions that the Ravens should be asking themselves as they watch a potential candidate.

Final Score Prediction:

Vegas currently has the Ravens favored by a whopping 13.5 points, which should be no surprise given the incredibly sorry state of the Colts… well, entire team. While I do expect the Ravens to win and would normally expect a huge win, the forecast is calling for rain and I can expect that will keep things a little more in check.

Final Score: Indianapolis Colts: 6, Baltimore Ravens: 17

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How do the Young Guns at Receiver Look for Baltimore?: As it stands currently, the Ravens may very well be without Jeremy Maclin on Saturday, much to the enjoyment of many Ravens fans. Maclin, who at times has flashed as a play maker and a threat for the Ravens, has consistently shown that he may not be up to the task of being a Baltimore Raven in 2018. With drops, sloppy route running, and a feeling that he may have quit on the season, Maclin just really does not fit the play like a Raven mantra.

ive been going back through the browns game (nearly finished i promise) and spamming the good, bad and ugly page (sorry) but one thing that's come up a lot when rewatching is a personnel grouping that i really like: woodhead, watson, wallace, camp, moore... these guys work well as a complementary group and given the cbs of the other team have to respect the speed of wallace and moore on the outside it gives camp more space to work in the middle of the field with his sharp cuts and ability to find the soft spot in the zone, it allows ben watson the room to get a big chunk if he can beat the linebacker(s) and even then if not then woodhead is 1v1 with either a linebacker or a db and might be the best route runner in that group - it's a lethal grouping and it converted multiple 3rd downs vs cleveland and a lot of the time it was an easy pitch and catch and sometimes i was so confident that this grouping would win pre-snap too... i hope to see it more and more even if maclin does come back because the 5 skill players work really well together - if we're worried about the blitz we bring woodhead back in and he can pass protect too (and has picked up blitzers really well so far this year)

If there were ever a day for a player to challenge for seven sacks in a single game to tie the NFL record, this absolutely would be the day for Terrell Suggs or Matt Judon. Between the duo, they may only have 19.0 sacks, but they have been absolute terrors off of the edge by consistently bringing pressure and being pests to the quarterback. If Brandon Williams and Willie Henry can stop Jacoby Brissett from stepping up in the pocket, Judon and Suggs will feast on the day.

i think with the absence of ryan kelly at center and the already weak guard pair in indy that willie henry has to have a field day crushing the middle of the pocket - im expecting the center in the backfield most of the day and will be disappointed if successive dlineman dont get push this week im not sure the base package is going to be able to be stopped by the colts oline - williams will draw double teams, pierce will likely occupy double teams as well and henry is gonna make mincemeat of whichever interior lineman is left (or carl davis will in stead) - suggs and judon are gonna be guaranteed 1v1 all day either on a tight end or on a tackle - if we dont get pressure in this game im gonna be incredibly disappointed

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
No questions Maclin doessn't deserve the Play Like A Raven mantra. To think that Jimmy's Seafood is wasting crab cakes on Maclin is amazing.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
ive been going back through the browns game (nearly finished i promise) and spamming the good, bad and ugly page (sorry) but one thing that's come up a lot when rewatching is a personnel grouping that i really like: woodhead, watson, wallace, camp, moore... these guys work well as a complementary group and given the cbs of the other team have to respect the speed of wallace and moore on the outside it gives camp more space to work in the middle of the field with his sharp cuts and ability to find the soft spot in the zone, it allows ben watson the room to get a big chunk if he can beat the linebacker(s) and even then if not then woodhead is 1v1 with either a linebacker or a db and might be the best route runner in that group - it's a lethal grouping and it converted multiple 3rd downs vs cleveland and a lot of the time it was an easy pitch and catch and sometimes i was so confident that this grouping would win pre-snap too... i hope to see it more and more even if maclin does come back because the 5 skill players work really well together - if we're worried about the blitz we bring woodhead back in and he can pass protect too (and has picked up blitzers really well so far this year)

i think with the absence of ryan kelly at center and the already weak guard pair in indy that willie henry has to have a field day crushing the middle of the pocket - im expecting the center in the backfield most of the day and will be disappointed if successive dlineman dont get push this week im not sure the base package is going to be able to be stopped by the colts oline - williams will draw double teams, pierce will likely occupy double teams as well and henry is gonna make mincemeat of whichever interior lineman is left (or carl davis will in stead) - suggs and judon are gonna be guaranteed 1v1 all day either on a tight end or on a tackle - if we dont get pressure in this game im gonna be incredibly disappointed
Without looking at the personnel grouping, I know on Watson's long touchdown catch, he was effectively able to beat the press from a linebacker at the line and then split a double team before going out and catching a beautiful intermediate pass. I know people like to hate on the Ravens receivers, but if you put them into space or in a position to go ahead and make a play, they are fully capable of making that play.

I just worry about relying on Moore and Camp too much. Yeah, they are doing some positive work, but they've yet to show they can consistently go out there and make plays when called upon like Mike Wallace, Ben Watson, and even Maclin earlier in the year. I think finding a receiver (Courtland Sutton, please) will be a huge priority.

I was exaggerating a bit with hoping they'd break the NFL sack record (individual and team), but anything short of like 10+ pressures and 5+ sacks from the group as a whole is going to feel hella disappointing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Without looking at the personnel grouping, I know on Watson's long touchdown catch, he was effectively able to beat the press from a linebacker at the line and then split a double team before going out and catching a beautiful intermediate pass. I know people like to hate on the Ravens receivers, but if you put them into space or in a position to go ahead and make a play, they are fully capable of making that play.

I just worry about relying on Moore and Camp too much. Yeah, they are doing some positive work, but they've yet to show they can consistently go out there and make plays when called upon like Mike Wallace, Ben Watson, and even Maclin earlier in the year. I think finding a receiver (Courtland Sutton, please) will be a huge priority.

I was exaggerating a bit with hoping they'd break the NFL sack record (individual and team), but anything short of like 10+ pressures and 5+ sacks from the group as a whole is going to feel hella disappointing.

just went back to the notes and this was another instance of that grouping - both moore and camp draw dbs to their side and hold the safety (from memory) - woodhead picks up the blitz wallace is 1v1 and runs a crosser which draws the attention of one of the linebackers - initially watson is double teamed but wallace's crosser pulls one of those linebackers away from watson and distracts the other linebacker enough that watson is able to get a step and beat that initial double team - camp and moore hold the safety for a fraction which means that he cant get there to aid the linebacker that watson beat until too late and flacco throws a nice ball that leads watson all the way to the endzone in stride

as you say our receivers are nice in space and guys like camp and woodhead are able to create space in small areas with sharp cuts - while camp only got 1 reception and moore only got a few targets as well they draw the coverage and attention to their side - camp only had 1 target that i can recall but he got open a few times where the ball didnt come his way - in fact i remember clearly one instance where woodhead was the first/second read and got open so the ball went to him to convert a 3rd down but if he hadnt been open camp had broken the ankles of the db covering him and had got open for a much larger gain in the middle of the field - camp is really good at finding the soft spot and i wish he hadnt lost so much time in the past to injury

i absolutely think we need new blood at receiver but from the ones we've got, this grouping of woodhead, watson, moore, wallace and campanaro is one i really like especially in high stakes 3rd down situations