• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

more important mangold or boldin?

The Greek

Veteran
i would have to say boldin. at his age he still fights for the ball and would be a perfect chain mover for us while mentoring bp, moore and the other younger receivers. i personally feel they will go with what we have at center between jensen, urschel, skura and possibly siragusa

Tiz

Practice Squad
Depends on health.
Personally I'd go with the OL help as that helps the run game as well as protects joe.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
C > WR so mangold > boldin.

Also quality play > former raven nostalgia.

I'm not convinced boldin can even jump anymore let alone be a starting wr

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Do you have a time machine to get those players 5-8 years ago version? Then Center let Urschel Jensen and Siragusa play it out. Best center takes all. As for Boldin I really like him. But he is 37 yrs old and not making a difference unless it's a coach/player role he accepts. I would prefer the young receivers sink or swim than play this game every year.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Depends on health.
Personally I'd go with the OL help as that helps the run game as well as protects joe.

Yeah, if Mangold's ankle is okay then he would certainly be an upgrade over Zuttah from last year. If Joe has enough time to sit back in the pocket and go through his reads then he can be deadly, regardless of who he's throwing to.

That being said, I would love to have Boldin back. Perriman has shown flashes, but it's hard to say if he can put it all together for an entire season.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I think that center is more important than wide receiver. But if I had to choose between the two, I would take the one who is healthy, despite the position that they play.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love Q and can see the possibilities of him coming home to Baltimore (like I thought they would do with Torrey) but we got to help Flacco out with that O-line. It's got to be a priority a la those Dallas Cowboys. Get that line humming right and we may be in business!

Reactions: Tiz

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Mangold is more important, because he contributes to the well-being of Flacco, but Ozzie better do something fast about the WR corps. As much as I love Anquan, he is NOT the answer.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
C > WR so mangold > boldin.

Also quality play > former raven nostalgia.

I'm not convinced boldin can even jump anymore let alone be a starting wr
I'm not convinced that he is healthy. Assuming that, I'd have to put Boldin ahead of him. Now, if both were healthy I'd agree with you.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its Boldin. The Ravens thought they were better off without Zuttah so whoever is going to play center this year the Ravens must believe they are better than Zuttah and while not good Zuttah was serviceable so better then that is at least fine. The WR group was not serviceable and did not willingly lose one of the better starters.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Its Boldin. The Ravens thought they were better off without Zuttah so whoever is going to play center this year the Ravens must believe they are better than Zuttah and while not good Zuttah was serviceable so better then that is at least fine. The WR group was not serviceable and did not willingly lose one of the better starters.
Zuttah was not a bad center, he was injured to start the season and it showed. But he finished out as a middle of the pack center which isn't bad at all.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Zuttah was not a bad center, he was injured to start the season and it showed. But he finished out as a middle of the pack center which isn't bad at all.

That sort of helps my point though. Whatever you think of Zuttah the Ravens must believe they have better or they do not willingly trade him. They were openly trying to get better at WR so they do not think they have better at that position to step up and take the place of SS which means the WR corp will be worse this year so clearly WR is the much bigger need.

zevenate

Practice Squad
I gotta say Mangold. Joe having time in the pocket and a good running game would make up for a worse WR corp

K-Dog

MVP
I am going to say Boldin, but for purely selfish reasons.
I am running thin on ACTIVE players jerseys. I have Webb and Sizzle. I have on old Boldin so bringing him back will up my game day wardrobe just a bit.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I guess I focused on Zuttah's negative plays. What did you see in Zuttah that impressed you?
Never said he impressed me, just that he was bashed a little too hard by the boards. Early on he was injured and played terrible but he was generally mistake free for the most part as the season carried on.

He's reliable in pass pro(when healthy), a damn good stretch zone center, but doesn't get much push in a run game that involves him to clear holes.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I'd have to say Mangold as of right now. I have no idea how the competition for C in camp will play out and if Joe is always on his backside then whoever we have at WR will be irrelevant anyway.

I'm not convinced that he is healthy. Assuming that, I'd have to put Boldin ahead of him. Now, if both were healthy I'd agree with you.

Also, assuming he's even healthy, would he really be an upgrade over any Urschel/Jensen/Gusa? I'd love to have some protection for Joe, too, but at this stage of his career would he help our QB sleep well at night?
On the other hand we have an old WR but with the skill that our current unit lacks. If the price is right (not more than 2/2.5 a year) I'd consider it. Unless we employ a ton of 2TE formations we still miss a reliable wideout.
I can't even blame the draft for the situation, cause except for a few slot guys, plus Williams and Davis, the depth was embarassing.
I wouldn't be mad at either move, but Mangold has a very big question mark pending. I'd spend those money on the more 'secure' investment.