• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

City's Mock V1.5

Well, with that depressing loss to the Bengals, we are officially picking 16th in the upcoming 2018 NFL Draft. This is a difficult predicament for the Baltimore Ravens as this was the off-season in which the team was solely supposed to dedicate their allocated resources to the offense. Well, the defense did what we can always rely on them to do, let us all down and blow a lead when we need them to make a stop. Now the Ravens are not going to be in a position to neglect the defense. With injuries and question marks across the board, the Ravens enter their toughest off-season in quiet sometime, thankfully, the will have some flexibility to work with.

Now keep in mind that while some of you may disapprove of the picks, keep in mind that I did decided to take a different approach with this mock. Rather than list the picks that I would like, I decided to mock prospects that I believe the Ravens will pick.

Free Agency: Signings

(WR) Allen Robinson(1YR+Team Option): I don't think anyone bits the bullet in paying Robinson the money he will seek in FA. He's coming off a torn ACL after a down year. I think he gets a deal similar to what Alshon Jeffery received from the Philadelphia Eagles. While that will give us flexibility, this is where the risk is involved. You just have to wonder what type of player he'll be here, while I'm confident that he will come here and produce, you can never rule out the possibility of this becoming a bust signing because of the risks associated with it. That said, it would present itself as a much needed signing for Joe and this offense.

This isn't the only FA signing, but at the moment it's the most logical one to me. This is really the toughest part of this mock for me.

Extensions:

C.J Mosley: This is an obvious, get a deal done that backloaded in order to have cap to work with. Mosley is in the teams future and the best of him is yet to come.

Ryan Jensen: Same story here, while he might be viewed as a prized FA, he doesn't have the accolades to warrant a big pay day. Unlike other high prized FAs, Jensen has one season of 16 starts and might not even be viewed as an elite player at his position like Andrew Norwell.

Departures:

Mike Wallace: This was tough but I think Mike Wallace might be heading elsewhere in 2018. Good player but in this FA market you just can't overpay for someone who is aging. A two year deal would be nice but Wallace is going to take into consideration his ability to maximize what he can earn.

Ben Watson: This was a sort-of easy decision for me. Watson doesn't offer the Ravens much in reality. While a solid blocker he doesn't give them a seam/vertical threat and doesn't have safeties on their heels. In actually Watson is very manageable to defend against. Not having a vertical TE has hindered this offense.

Cuts

Jeremy Maclin: This is a no-brainer. One of the most disappointing signings in recent memory and while the Ravens will be dry of WRs, Maclin is a guy not worth holding onto.

Ladarius Webb: This is tough because we all love Webb and what he brings as a player and person. Sadly I do not think the circumstances can demand for Webb's extended stay. I think the Ravens truly move on from Webb this time around.

ATM This is it, I'll post more in terms of signings and cuts once the FA market becomes more clear. I can't make a decision on Brandon Carr in this mock because that's just an unpredictable circumstance. He's not elite or even great but he offers stability and is solid overall. His first half of the season was simply genius but he had his moments in the second half. For now I'm leaning towards keep but I really can't say I'm totally sure about his status here.

Round 1, Pick 16: Calvin Ridley(WR) Alabama

amari_cooper_460966176_jdmpyi.jpg

If Ridley is there, this is a no-brainer pick. Pro Ready, QB friendly and will be a perfect compliment to Allen Robinson. Ridley can run any route you ask, has soft hands and can even be a deep threat for the team. There's going to be doubters whether or not Ridley will be there at 16, but I certainly think that it's too early to put him in the top 10. First off, at the moment I think Courtland Sutton is viewed as the top WR. I think in some teams eyes, Christian Kirk is the best WR. At the moment I think there's a decent chance he's there when we pick.

Round 2, Pick 52: Mark Andrew(TE) Oklahoma

lead630-n_9d84a5209f965a0b8c61e16145bf3c2a.jpg

The Ravens so badly need a TE who can go vertical. This pick might get criticism here because the Ravens are also in desperate need of production from 2nd round picks. They have not gotten much from Maxx Williams, Kamalei Correa, and didn't get much from the rookie Tyus Bowser as they hoped for. While this is all true, the lack of a vertical threat at the TE position is an aspect that's holding the offense back. The Ravens need to be able to stream the field through the middle and take advantage of LBs playing closer to the LOS lately. Andrews is the top TE IMO. He has shown exceptional play in the slot and is a prove match up nightmare against college LBs. While the TE position is a developmental position, I think we can afford to spend a pick on someone I believe can be a player for us in this offense. They won't get one in FA, but they'll get one in the draft.

Round 3, Pick 83: Isaiah Wynn(T) Georgia

Isaiah%20Wynn.jpg

I don't think Wynn is a tackle in all honesty. If Wynn were to truly be a tackle, he'll be the shortest LT in the league. I don't know if he has the height to be able to seal the edge but I think he can be a really good guard or better yet C. Regardless Wynn offers the Ravens a ton of value as a G,C,T here in round 3 and the only reason why I don't think he will go as high is because of his height. In College he was a force in the run game and is a solid pass protector. I really like Wynn simply because of his run blocking. I badly want maulers here and Wynn has those qualities in the run game. I think the Ravens pick him simply because of the value he offers here.

So that's all. I definitely anticipate more moves then Allen Robinson In FA but at the moment this is the best I can do. Once I get a clear picture of the FA class then I'll definitely be able to carve out a more accurate picture of what I believe the Ravens will do.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ridley is gone at 16, no doubts, and nobody has Sutton ahead of him.

Andrews that deep in the 2nd is highly unrealistic as well, he's a legitimate first round talent and unquestioned first round talent TEs tend to go early second at worst.

Wynn is highly regarded as a 2nd rounder and it may be a stretch to expect him available even at 48

There is no way Ridley is on the board after Chicago's pick, if he survives that long.
Honestly both Ridley and Andrews are wishful thinking. That would be great but I don't see it happening.
Ridley is gone at 16, no doubts, and nobody has Sutton ahead of him.

Andrews that deep in the 2nd is highly unrealistic as well, he's a legitimate first round talent and unquestioned first round talent TEs tend to go early second at worst.

I don't see how you can rule out Ridley being there at 16 prior to the combine even starting. Right now I don't see too many mocks out there that even has Ridley in the top 10. I'm not going by mocks just for the record but that's really what I have seen most of the time when I have viewed one. To add to that there's even plenty of rumors out there that Sutton is regarded as the best WR in the draft as well, including Kirk. While I'm not going off by that purely, I feel comfortable with the amount of QBs that I expect to be picked ahead at the moment, if the draft started today, I have Sutton and Kirk going head of Ridley with a big run in on QBs going into the top 15, after that you have the OTs, and other positions.

I don't think at the moment Ridley is going to be universally known as the best WR in the draft, until then I don't think it's plausible to rule him out.

As far as Andrews goes, TE is one of the most unpredictable positions in the draft. You can have top 10 talent falls to the late teens and 1st round picks fall into the mid-bottom 2nd round. I don't think Andrews at the moment is a first round pick and while someone can pick him there, I think there's plenty of history that shows that teams prefer to wait rather then spend a 1st on a TE.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't see how you can rule out Ridley being there at 16 prior to the combine even starting. Right now I don't see too many mocks out there that even has Ridley in the top 10. I'm not going by mocks just for the record but that's really what I have seen most of the time when I have viewed one. To add to that there's even plenty of rumors out there that Sutton is regarded as the best WR in the draft as well, including Kirk. While I'm not going off by that purely, I feel comfortable with the amount of QBs that I expect to be picked ahead at the moment, if the draft started today, I have Sutton and Kirk going head of Ridley with a big run in on QBs going into the top 15, after that you have the OTs, and other positions.

I don't think at the moment Ridley is going to be universally known as the best WR in the draft, until then I don't think it's plausible to rule him out.

As far as Andrews goes, TE is one of the most unpredictable positions in the draft. You can have top 10 talent falls to the late teens and 1st round picks fall into the mid-bottom 2nd round. I don't think Andrews at the moment is a first round pick and while someone can pick him there, I think there's plenty of history that shows that teams prefer to wait rather then spend a 1st on a TE.
The only time I've seen Sutton mocked ahead of Ridley is from outlets that have nothing to do with football and just hop on the mock train for clickbait. Ridley is far and away the unquestioned best wr in the class and I haven't seen a single outlet put Kirk anywhere in the same universe as Ridley. Ridley is a top 10 in ANY class, let alone a wr class with only one true first round talent at wr. You literally have Ridley and then the rest of the wr class, he's not in the same tier as anyone. Top wr prospects don't fall, even mike williams who was extremely raw as a route runner and had very bad injury concerns went 7th, and he and as the SECOND to go after a small school wr went 5th. Ridley is gonna go top 10 and I wouldn't be shocked to see Sutton go somewhere between Ridley and us.

Andrews could fall to 48 but I'd be shocked, he's the best TE prospect since eifert without the injuries. He's an absolutely stellar talent and as NFL ready a TE youll ever see.

I'm just saying this is an EXTREMELY optimistic mock