• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Computer question

K-Dog

MVP
Wellp' my HP Pavilion died this evening.

System board failure. The ON button was blinking and beeping five times. I am pretty bummed about this. All my stuff is on there.

Is there something I can do short of a whole new computer?
I am NOT computer savvy.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

System board failure. The ON button was blinking and beeping five times. I am pretty bummed about this. All my stuff is on there.

I am NOT computer savvy.
From memory, that's either RAM or motherboard problem.
If you're not comfortable doing it, find someone to try and reset RAM modules.
At least your hard drive should be intact and data can be copied off it.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
From memory, that's either RAM or motherboard problem.
If you're not comfortable doing it, find someone to try and reset RAM modules.
At least your hard drive should be intact and data can be copied off it.
I have a lot of experience with computers I agree with what he has said in all honesty I’d remove the hard drive or and get your files and move on

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
You'll still have all of your files; you just need to take out the hard drive and get a SATA-to-USB cable to plug it into another computer to transfer the files.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not positive, but at least five years old. Probably more like eight.
definitely time for a new computer. I stopped using windows based computers in 2008, when explorer corrupted on me. I never looked back.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
For future reference I keep a backup of all my files on an external hard drive I’d recommend just going big and getting a 2TB unless you do video or photo editing you should never run out of room on it and I’d just save your important files to that they’re super easy to setup!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
For future reference I keep a backup of all my files on an external hard drive I’d recommend just going big and getting a 2TB unless you do video or photo editing you should never run out of room on it and I’d just save your important files to that they’re super easy to setup!
Without a doubt. I have a time capsule backup on my Mac

Having that backup is always a good thing, hard drives do have a tendency to corrupt once in a while. Always better to be safe than sorry,

Tank

Hall of Famer
Not positive, but at least five years old. Probably more like eight.
Yeah, I would just remove the hard drive and copy the data onto your new computer. If you aren't comfortable doing that I'm sure it wouldn't be that expensive. Also, unless you are gaming or using huge data bases or spreadsheets I wouldn't spend any more than $400 or $500 on a new PC or laptop.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I would just remove the hard drive and copy the data onto your new computer. If you aren't comfortable doing that I'm sure it wouldn't be that expensive. Also, unless you are gaming or using huge data bases or spreadsheets I wouldn't spend any more than $400 or $500 on a new PC or laptop.
Yeah what he said especially if you’re just browsing the internet and not using it for anything but that I’d say you could go cheaper

K-Dog

MVP
Yeah not a gamer. It is mostly internet. Some photo storage and editing and some music storage. Not much else.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah not a gamer. It is mostly internet. Some photo storage and editing and some music storage. Not much else.
Just be sure to get enough RAM(6gb or 8gb)to keep things moving, and maybe a solid state hard drive that will help too. You should be able to stay under $500 if you get a desk top. And you can get a huge external HD for under $100 to back up your photos and music.

K-Dog

MVP
Just be sure to get enough RAM(6gb or 8gb)to keep things moving, and maybe a solid state hard drive that will help too. You should be able to stay under $500 if you get a desk top. And you can get a huge external HD for under $100 to back up your photos and music.
Awesome.
Yeah I just need the unit itself. I have a keyboard and mouse I really like and a big Vizio for a monitor.
I got a buddy helping me out tomorrow.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

I am NOT computer savvy.
You too, huh? Mine died a few days before Christmas unfortunately. I agree with the others who said it's important to have your files backed up on an external hard drive. The "funny" thing with me is that a few days before it died, I switched the settings to where my files would get backed up on an hourly basis once I connected my external hard drive to my laptop. Totally recommend that.