• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Past Eleven picks at 16 Overall

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've heard a few people grumble about being at 16, saying that we'll miss out on the top prospects and have to settle for player with question marks. So, I've decided that it could be interesting to see how well past players picked at 16 have faired in the NFL.

2007: Justin Harrell, DT, picked by the Packers

He was a bust. Showed up out of shape, and then constantly got injured. He was only in the NFL for like three years. This draft actually had a lot of good talent in the first (including the Ravens' Ben Grubbs). The Packers just kind of fell onto a landmine with their pick.

2008: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Cardinals

Played great for both the Cardinals and the Giants. A legit top talent from that draft who lived up to where he was picked.

2009: Larry English, DE, Chargers

Like Harrell, I actually had to look up who English was. Dude scored amazingly high on the Wonderlic Test, but ended up injured half the time. And even when he did play, he never lived up to expectations. Was out of the league in like six years, without ever securing a starting role.

2010: Derrick Morgan, DE, Titans

He hasn't fully lived up to 16 overall especially given some of the guys that went later in that round, but he's played fairly well overall. However, while he's had a few great stretches here and there, he has had injury issues limiting his play time.

2011: Ryan Kerrigan, edge, Redskins

He was named to the all rookie team, went to the pro bowl his second season, and has had three double digit sack seasons. He's fully lived up to his draft position, and has done exactly what the Redskins drafted him to do.

2012: Quinton Coples, edge, Jets

A huge bust made even worse by the fact that Melvin Ingram went two spots after him.

2013: EJ Manual, QB, Bills

This draft was awful, and Manual is part of a long list of first round failures in this draft (including our own Elam).

2014: Zack Martin, G, Cowboys

The old BR board loved Martin going into this draft, and he's become one of the best guards in the NFL. A true all pro at his position.

2015: Kevin Johnson, CB, Texans

Decent but nothing special. He eventually lost his starting job after an injury.

2016: Taylor Decker, OT, Lions

Became an instant starter and played really well his rookie season. This season though he got injured and missed a good chunk of it. Still, so far, he's living up to why the Lions drafted him.

2917: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Ravens

Yep, we're in the same draft spot we were in last year. Humphrey was one of the best rookie corners this season, and played quite a bit better than Jimmy did during his rookie season. Honestly, he should have been starting over Carr after the halfway point of the season, and he's going to do very well in Wink's defense if it's as aggressive as we hope it is.

So, in the last ten years, four have been busts, one has been very average, five good starters, and one all pro. All things considered, that's pretty good. Corner and o-line has been the best bets so over the last decade at 16, with front seven guys being misses more often than not (three out of five have been busts).

As a side note I used the last eleven picks because I was still thinking 2007 was ten years ago when I started this.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As a side note I used the last eleven picks because I was still thinking 2007 was ten years ago when I started this.

Thanks for doing this, it was useful knowing who was picked. The last sentence was funny.